Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 06:25

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default First run since reducing carbs - results

Thought I'd mention this

I've been reducing carbs lately, can't go on induction yet because I'm training for a marathon, but have probably cut my carb intake at least in half

Yesterday prior to my run I drank a gatorade and ate about 10 triscuits to carb load, so I would have some fuel for my run. I was curious how this would impact my performance

Happy to report NO impact - my run felt great! So it seems like I can pretty much subsist on 30-40 net carbs a day except on running days, where I'll have to carb-load before I run - but I'm guessing I will use those carbs during the exercise

So - thats GOOD NEWS!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 06:56

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Hey runnr, I'm no runner myself, but I've always wondered about carb loading before a race.

What would happen if you didnt carb load?
Or what would happen if you only carb loaded with LC fruits and veggies instead of high carby stuff like gatorade and triscuits?

Thanks,
niudog
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 07:39

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have a theory about carb loading. It is, or so it seems, necessary for those whose bodies are accustomed to performing with carbs. Therefore the body will have a difficult time performing on the other fuel, fat. After the passing of time and hard work , the body will be able to function just fine on fewer carbs. Hunter gatherers used fat for fuel.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 08:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There are people who do run without the carb loading. Its takes awhile but they basically train their bodies to just burn ketones.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

since you are in marathon training now, I would keep carb loading until you have done your race. I am also a marathon runner who low carbs, and found it took months to get used to running on induction level carbs. Before low carbing I had run 8-10 miles a day and when I started low carbin I could BARELY manage to run every other day for half that mileage.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:25

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

As someone who would blow their knees out if she tried to run but desperately wants to, I have a couple of questions for you runners: 1. How much should I lose before attempting to run? 2. How to I work up to running from walking? 3. For the...um...well endowed woman, how do you strap em down without uni-boob?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but for now...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:47

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Dear Emeraulde,

I am a fairly new runner. I don't carb load before I run. I am in pre-maintenance and eat 40-50 carbs per day and am training for a half marathon next month (my 2nd). My running had improved dramatically in the last couple of months (distance and pace) without raising carbs.

IMHO, you can start today. No need to wait to start. Go for a fairly quick pace walk and see what happens. Remember to stretch before and after. Take water with you.

Here's how I started. I walked on a treadmill for 30 minutes gradually increasing the pace over time (I have bad knees and weak Achilles tendons). I started a light jog for 1 minute/walk 1 minute routine and then gradually upped the running.

In a year I went from 1 minute of running to a half marathon. Go for it! You can do this!!

I wear a sports bra that helps with the uni-boob problem. I know the well endowed thing intimately.... lol Try a bunch on to see what you like.

Take care, Julie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:05

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Can I do this without a treadmill? Just maybe on the track?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There are people who do run without the carb loading. Its takes awhile but they basically train their bodies to just burn ketones.

I've historically been a big skeptic of the CKD/carb-loading theory, but I've been revising my opinion somewhat over the last few months. I've been on low-carb the entire time I've been a serious exerciser, so you'd think if anyone's body was trained to run on ketones, it'd be mine. However, I've periodically had some trouble with carb-bonking and overtraining, and I do have much better workouts when I'm eating higher maintenance carb levels than if I'm in a fat-loss phase and trying to keep it under 50g. I don't routinely go off-plan and eat sugar/flour -- I have a real dessert every couple of months, and that's about it -- but I've noticed that when I do, I can count on having a *great* workout the next day. For example, I ate a (large, frosting-loaded, sick-makingly sugary) piece of wedding cake last week, and effortlessly cranked out an extra mile during the next day's run. Other times, I've been able to increase my weights by 10 or 20 lbs over the previous session, which isn't small potatoes either. I *can* certainly get through my workout pattern on relatively low levels of carbs, but I don't think I could make major performance gains in lifting or in running without bumping them fairly high or doing some kind of CKD strategy.

I'm not endorsing a CKD/carb load/refeed/whatever for the vast majority of people, but I do think there's some usefulness to be found there if you are a SERIOUS exerciser (marathon runner, body-builder, power-lifter, etc.).
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:05

BF:

Lots to respond to:

Quote:
I have a theory about carb loading. It is, or so it seems, necessary for those whose bodies are accustomed to performing with carbs. Therefore the body will have a difficult time performing on the other fuel, fat. After the passing of time and hard work , the body will be able to function just fine on fewer carbs. Hunter gatherers used fat for fuel.

I would agree except I don't know how that works for very long distances like I run (20 + miles). I think you need every carb you can get, personally, before you attempt to do something that long. Hitting "the wall" means your body runs out of glycogen - and your legs do not move anymore

Quote:
As someone who would blow their knees out if she tried to run but desperately wants to, I have a couple of questions for you runners: 1. How much should I lose before attempting to run? 2. How to I work up to running from walking? 3. For the...um...well endowed woman, how do you strap em down without uni-boob?

Start out by incorporating running into your walks. Even if you incorporate 2 minutes of a running into a half hour walk, you'll be amazed at how quickly you can build up. I've seen many people go from being overweight to marathon runners. The body is a remarkable thing

Re: carb loading, I had also heard this "load before a workout" theory in this forum under exercise. Seems a lot of the serious exercisers here do this. Carb loading for a marathon is different, its about a 7 day process where you fuel up almost entirely on carbs to build the muscle glycogen, and its only for the race. For most shorter workouts, you shouldn't need to carb load
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:14

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Even Dr. Atkins website recommends some form of carbs for endurance athletes. Even afer my body had gotten used to low carb running, I found that for longer runs, like 13+ I had to ingest some carbs. In my last 24 miler I had 2 energy gels during the run and a breakfast of oatmeal iwth protein powder and a banana beforehand. Other times I might have a run planned and know that I am soo drained that I just can't do it without a carb snack about an hour before, usually a banana or half a energy bar or something will do the trick. Before my marathon in 2 weeks, I'm not planning a big carb-load. the day before the race will be a lower fat, higher protein and medium carb day. (The fat intereferes with the carbs absorbption) I hate pasta so my dinner will be lean protein w/ a sweet potato, and breakfast b4 the race will be my tried nad true oatmeal.
Good luck, what is your next marathon?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:38

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Dear Emeraulde,

Of course you can! I started my running in early spring and it was too darn cold to be outside. You are better off in the fresh air. You go girl!

My half marathon is in 3 weeks and my goal is 2:20. Personal best is 2:25. Wish me luck.

Julie
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 12:06
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

If you look in the general exercise forum - under the "bicycling" thread -- you will find a link to two good articles on carb loading and exercise from the Atkins site.

When I was just beginning to exercise I didn't need to refuel, but now that I am boosting the intensity, I find I need a 20-40 g snack prior to a tough workout. I usually go for an apple and a couple tablespoons of peanut butter or something.

There are lc ways to fuel up without ODing on sugar.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 13:22
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraulde

Hi Emeraulde,

I started running every morning with my dogs about 6 weeks ago. As you can see from my sig, I am in a huge stall weight-wise, but I have lost more than a whole dress size in inches. I actually have muscle definition in my legs now!! Go for it, you can do it!!

I think that the "mistake" a lot of people make is to start running at too fast a pace. Map yourself out a route, then go out and JOG it very slowly. The idea is to get your heart rate up to a certain level but not have it RACING so you get tired and have to stop. So while you jog, constantly remind yourself to slow down. I don't actually run, it's more like a slow shuffle but I can go for more than 5 miles now without stopping.

As for the bra thing -- there is a thread on this right now in the "Everything else" section. What I have found is that NO bra does the trick. I wear two bras when I run -- this sounds silly but it REALLY works. Two champion jogging bras and my boobs don't move an inch!!

Best of luck!
Jeannie
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 15:29

BF:

Quote:
Good luck, what is your next marathon?

4 weeks. I'm soooooo excited!

What I have found this year re: nutrition is that for longer runs, I need a huge breakfast - usually half a flax bagel, eggs and cheese. 1 carb gel every hour plus diluted gatorade. Not exactly atkins, but it works! I used to have a very carb rich breakfast before a long run, but as I upped the distance, I had to add protein to avoid starvation halfway through

I also find (personally) that my recovery from extremely long runs is longer if I eat very restricted carbs - longer by about half a day. Since I take the day off after a run, that isn't too much of a concern, but still interesting