Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Caught in the low-carb trap? Bite back"

Posted on Wed, May. 26, 2004

NICHOLAS BOER: FREE RANGE

Caught in the low-carb trap? Bite back

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld.../8763348.htm?1c

CALLIE WAS hit by a car last week while chasing a deer. She has been following Atkins ever since.

Mornings used to start with a pile of kibble, but now she waits for her buttery scrambled eggs. Monterey Jack snacks have replaced biscuits (better to hide those pain pills), and her daily Greenie -- a chlorophyll-colored "bone" -- has turned into cottage cheese (easier on those sore teeth).

This high-protein, low-exercise lifestyle is now right in line with that of many Americans ---- with one significant difference.

Callie's not counting carbs.

One night Callie got her very own cheeseburger and she wolfed it down, bun and all (she ate it like an Oreo: The middle went first).

Sunday I cooked up Krusteaz's new low-carb pancakes. I love Krusteaz pancakes, but this new formula was terrible.

Callie did eat a small piece, but only after spitting it out and staring at if for a while.

The Krusteaz press release is titled Bake and Switch -- which should tell you something right there.

"No consumer should have to choose between good flavor and fewer carbs," says the company's CEO, "so we created CarbSimple to satisfy both needs."

Ha! (Sure it will cut down on your carbs -- you won't want to eat it.)

There may come a day when science can come up with tasty low-carb baked goods, but that day is not yet here.

In the meantime, food companies have cashed in by turning the carb into public enemy No. 1. The War on Carbs has become a money-making machine.

Inevitably, I suppose, Low Carb Living magazine has now made its debut -- full of familiar products reintroduced as low carb: Bacardi rum, Jell-O and Cool Whip among them.

Then there are the reformulated favorites -- witness Hershey's 1 gram sugar carb bars.

Can low-carb Matzo Meal and communion wafers be far off?

It's time to bite back.

Listening to the advertisers -- and dutifully counting carbs -- is no way to diet. We need to take a lesson from Callie: Trust our tastes and instincts. Then we can turn our shopping list over to a higher power.

So, if you've hit bottom; if you've stooped to eating imitation cake mix for breakfast, perhaps it's time to surrender. To help, Callie and I have come up with a program based on the 12-steps of Alcoholics Anonymous to see you through.

Follow them thoroughly. Half-measures will avail you nothing. If you need a sponsor, ask your dog.

1. We admitted we are powerless over marketing -- that paid promises are inedible.

2. We came to believe that eating unprocessed foods could restore faith in our intestines.

3. We made a decision to use our willpower to overcome come-ons.

4. Kept track of everything we normally eat for a week.

5. Admitted to Mom, to ourselves and to a family pet the exact composition of our meals.

6. Were entirely ready to remove those harmful foods from our car, home and workplace.

7. We humbly asked our dog to eat any leftovers.

8. We made a list of all the healthful foods that we like and became willing to eat them all.

9. We made direct purchases of said foods wherever and whenever possible, except when to do so would tempt us into a fourth meal.

10. We continued to keep track of our daily intake and when we blew it, promptly admitted it.

11. We sought through care and innovation to improve our understanding of nutrition, seeking out healthful foods and recognizing how they make us feel and think.

12. Having had a physical awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others and practice eating pineapple instead of eclairs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reach Times Food editor Nicholas Boer at 925-943-8254 or nboer~cctimes.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

All I can say is "huh?"
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 14:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Listening to the advertisers -- and dutifully counting carbs -- is no way to diet

Ummm...counting calories and fat grams and being hungry most of the time didn't work too well for me, either. Gotta agree regarding listening to the advertisers, though; most of them don't have a clue about low carb anyway.

Quote:
We need to take a lesson from Callie: Trust our tastes and instincts. Then we can turn our shopping list over to a higher power.

I don't know about this guy, but when I was trusting "my tastes and instincts", a lot of the stuff I bought was bad for me (face it, the bad-for-you stuff often tastes pretty darn good!).
Here's a novel idea, though; do a little research on what's in the foods you most commonly buy and what those ingredients can do to people. If that doesn't make you lose your appetite, nothing will!
Turn my shopping list over to a higher power? You mean like....my carb addiction? I do believe in God, but in my 42 years of living, He's never given me a shopping list...I kinda think he gave me a functioning brain for that task.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I always thought that satires were supposed to be...ummmm...funny?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 08:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/181.2/170 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:
Progress: 92%

We need to take a lesson from Callie

We should take a lesson about food from an animal that drinks from a toilet? Think I will pass <grin>