Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 15:29

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 190/190/135 Female 5'0
BF:not sure
Progress: 0%
Default TOM and Atkins

I went back on induction 3 days ago..I know that the TOM is near..Do you ever experience bloating during that time..I know naturally woman do, but usually I fell thinner everyday and today I feel heavier..I didn't cheat so not sure whats going on..

Thanks Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 15:37
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I really don't know the answer to this but I do know that before this WOL I did not bloat this much. But then I didn't drink hardly any water, AND I was packing a beer gutt from hell that might have covered it up,lol.

Angel
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 15:42
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 154/133/136 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:
Progress: 117%
Default My Experience

Hi Michelle,

Before LC-ing I rarely ever had any effects from TOM. Now (after 6 months of LC-ing) I find that I have a lot of water retention and some cramps and headaches every month. The weight gain is very temporary for me, all water weight.

Personally, I think that the increased symptoms are very much worth it. I kind of chalk it up to my body being much more responsive in general to all sorts of things than it used to be when I was a heavy carb-eater. I feel much more in touch with almost all aspects of my body now and even though that doesn't always feel great (when I'm a little dehydrated, etc.), I really feel it is better for me in the long run.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 15:55

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I am extremly strict on induction when my TOM comes! I gain plenty of water weight that it grosses me out! But, it leaves at the end and I drop another few pounds with it!!! The Whoosh Fairy!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 16:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, general lc
Stats: 219/183/145 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I find that my water gain during TOM is wayyyyy up than before I low carbed it too. BUT I don't mind because I weighed in this morning (post tom) at 5 pounds less than a week ago without having changed anything in my diet!!! Wee hoo. Kinda feels like a woosh so I don't mind. In fact, if anything, it makes me watch my salt intake and up my water too. Being a little more vigilant during TOM always pays off the next week. I usually come out a little better at the end!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 19:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I usually gained 3-5 pounds each month for TOM before Atkins.... last month I gained none and dropped 1 after TOM was over... this month I gained none for TOM and actually dropped a pound the morning it started (yesterday)...so now I am anxious to see what I will drop when its over.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 09:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

I used to never have any of the typical TOM symptoms (bloating, cramps...), now I get all of it. It's sooo uncomfortable, but at least I know my body is working like most people's and that it all goes away as soon as my TOM goes away. I think it's perfectly normal to start experiencing these things when you're eating LC.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 10:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Here, come sit by me and we'll be all bloat-y together this week. I do notice a bit of bloating but it's over quickly enough. What I also found was that things started a tad early and got rather heavy. Sorry, couldn't find any other euphemisms for that...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 10:33
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I really hate that TOM , I keep telling him its over! I never want to see TOM again! But wouldn't you know it, TOM can't seem to take a hint. Maybe I can pay the whoosh fairy to bump TOM off?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 10:42

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToU
I really hate that TOM , I keep telling him its over! I never want to see TOM again! But wouldn't you know it, TOM can't seem to take a hint. Maybe I can pay the whoosh fairy to bump TOM off?

That funny! I like that!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/137/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I must be extremely lucky. Since 2-1-04 when I started, no cramps, NO breast tenderness, very light flow but thinner and just a little bloat. Seems like a good thing to me.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 13:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 237/182/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have heard it said that Atkins (or maybe low-carb in general) is a diet with a diuretic effect, so maybe the hormonal water retention associated with the menstrual period stands out more in contrast.

I've certainly noticed it more over the past few months -- my fingers sort of swell up, and the scale either stays the same or edges up a pound or two for a few days. I can hardly wait to see what my ankles do in the dog days of August BUT maybe it will be better than usual for 3 out of 4 weeks per month!