Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:25

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%
Default Treadmill?

Does anyone own a treadmill?
Do u get on it often?
Do u feel it was a good investment?
I am trying to decide if I want to purchase one....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:30

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I use one in a gym - but if I were buying I'd consider a cross trainer (cross country skiing machine). It burns more calories with less impact.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:35

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I used to have a treadmill, but when I found out how LOUD it was to the people downstairs I had to stop using it. My cousin owns one I'd love to have in my place, it's just a coat rack at her house, but I have tenants underneath me and it's too loud to stomp away.

I'd love to have an elliptical machine, they're quieter, and I'd use it while watching tv, oh well

LL
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/136/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

we have one in our house and it has been the best piece of exercise equipment we ever bought (and we've boughten a lot). I use it all of the time b/c sometimes it'll be raining or I just dont feel like going outside. It has helped build my endurance a lot when I run. Its also very helpful b/c you can track exactly how far and fast you can go. Its definately a worth your money investment.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

I own a tredmill. I bought it used (a lot cheeper that way) and I use it at least 1-2 a week. I rather walk outdoors, but when I can't I use it. I put my mp3 player on and walk.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 09:08

Stats: 327/309/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I bought one about two years ago. To be honest, I don't use it that often because it seems like the time just drags on and on when I'm on it. Being that I hate exercising to begin with, dragging time only makes things worse. Unless you can put it in a room with a TV (unfortunately, I cannot), I would recommend just walk/run outside. The down side to that, of course, is that you cannot count calories burned, distance, etc.

I think I would probably either buy mine on sale, or buy it used. It's an awful lot of money if you don't use it often.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 09:14

Plan: What-Everrrrrr
Stats: 230/129/115 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I absolutely love my elliptical...$.02
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 09:26

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'm a marathon runner. That being said, I can't spend more than 20 minutes on the treadmill without dying of boredom. No matter how horrible it is outside, it is soooooo much better than the treadmill

Don't mind stationary bike and weights for indoor workouts, but running - thats for outside

In the running community I'd say its about 50-50 people who love treadmills versus people who despise them. I'd suggest getting a few gym passes and trying one out first. Too much money to spend if its going to be something you hate!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 09:29
Registered Member

Stats: 213/193/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have bad knees - can't do the treadmill BUT I found a reclining bike for 7 bucks at a yard sale. (The best bargains BY FAR for exercise equipment are at yard sales) I had an old exercise bike but it hurt my butt and was very noisy. So when I sat down on this thing....in the middle of some lady's lawn...my life was changed!! I can do 20 minutes (watching tv) and not even realize the time has passed!! I recommend it highly....i can sweat and be comfortable at the same time!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 09:34
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have owned 3 treadmills (because I didnt learn from my mistake the first 2 times and kept telling myself I will use it this time). They work pretty well as something to hang your clothes on. I love walking and running outside. I cannot stand those contraptions.

I do love the elliptical at the gym, but I think part of it with me is that I need to be at the gym and focused and have other people around me who are focused on exercising. At home the phone rings, something is on TV, some major crisis is always going on etc. I just dont work out well at home.

My walking and running outside I dont even consider that exercise. It keeps me sane. I dont try and schedule it or anything, I just go out whenever I feel like it. Sometimes for hours, sometimes for 15 minutes.

Basically every time I have a lot on my mind and I feel like I need some space and fresh air, I am outside and it clears my head and makes me feel great.

A treadmill for me is pure torture. I cant use them at the gym or at home.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 09:36

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have one & its the only piece of gym equipment I use regularly. I have to listen to music or watch t.v. while using it, otherwise the time drags.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 09:37

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%

Is $250.00 a good price to pay for a used treadmill? It is a Image 10.0 Treadmill....
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

The key to the treadmill is T.V!! If I couldn't watch T.V while on it I would go nuts.
If a good show is on, the time flies by!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

We just bought a used ProForm last week, and so far I'm really enjoying it. However, I've been running on the treadmill at the gym for six months, so I already knew how I felt about the boredom and that I would be motivated to keep up with it. I've never been very big on walking/running outside, since it's usually so hot and sticky here, and I especially don't like it after dark, which is usually when it's convenient for me. As for the boredom, I always listen to my mp3 player while I run, and usually I have the TV on with closed-captioning too, so I've got something to look at. I deal with home interruptions simply by not letting them happen -- I don't answer the phone or the door, solve little household problems for DH, or anything else. I wouldn't be available for all these things if I were actually at the gym, so why should it make any difference that I'm working out at home instead?

It has been a real time-saver, since that's three days a week I don't have to drive to the gym (45 mins round-trip), and I can work out late at night when the gym is closed. I have noticed, however, that I'm more prone to skip going to the gym to lift weights and do a cardio workout instead, which has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm really focusing on improving my running performance right now, and doing five runs a week instead of three will likely help out there; on the other hand, there are so many benefits to lifting, and I shouldn't be skipping it. Also, I work from home, so I am finding that there are a lot more days when I don't leave the house at all!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:56
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I love using my treadmill. I watch tv when using it. I tend to walk alot longer that way. I have bought many exercise gadgets and this is the only one I keep using.