Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:09

Plan: LCarb
Stats: 200/173/124 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default 6 wks 6lbs lost! what's wrong with me! :mad:

Hi all

I have been on atkins for the last 6 wks and only lost 6lbs. I take medicine for thyroid, but I don't know why I am loosing it so slowly, when others with thyroid probs seeem ok on this diet. I lost 5lbs in the first two weeks, put two on the second (because I went on holiday) and then lost one the week before last, none last week and none this week. I have been following atkins to the letter, counting my carbs and drinking like a fish!

I have been taking the right supplements, and have been eating all 'legal' foods (not frankenfoods such as "advantage bars"). I also don't seem to be in ketosis because my keto sticks aren't changing colour. I am below 20 grms carb and don't seem to be losing as fast as expected.

Please someone help!! am at the end of my thether, as I still have about 50lbs to go!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hey there...why dont you post a couple of days worth of sample menus so that people can take a look at what you're eating...it helps figure out where problems might be. :-) And dont worry...you'll get there!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:44
Windsong

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking Hello

Half the battle is won by asking questions.

Are you keeping a food journal?

Do you have to have 100% whole wheat products?

Check the labels.

Maybe you are losing inches. Have you measured yourself?

Do write down your menu and let us help.

Health and Happiness,
Windsong
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 12:19

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

You don't have 50lbs to go.

At 5' 3", 105lbs would make you 'underweight'.

Your 'ideal weight' in the eyes of your average person is: 128lbs
You medically recommended weight range is: 107 - 141lbs

Your 'ideal weight' is roughly 125lbs. That puts you only 30lbs from goal.

Knowing that, you're probably not going to see quick loss of weight. With only 30lbs to go, 1-3lbs per week is a good pace.

While you can increase your current weight loss by increasing your workout intensity and duration along with more careful selection of foods, you're not going to see 3-6lb/week losses.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 12:25

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

DANDR has a chapter specifically written for those who are metobolically resistant. You might want to check it out. Good luck with it!

L
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You've successfully dropped 6 lbs. The generally accepted healthy rate of weight loss is no more than a pound or two per week. On average, with LCing, you'll lose 10% of the weight you need to lose during the first couple of weeks (roughly 4 lbs, in your case) and 5% per month after that (roughly 2 lbs). So you're roughly on target. Give yourself a pat on the back, and remember that you can't compare yourself to anyone else, and this isn't a crash diet, it's learning proper eating.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey there -

Go to www.fitday.com and plug in a few days worth of your food. Your proportions SHOULD look something like 65% of calories from fat, 30% from protein, and <5% from carbs.

No ketosis often means you aren't eating enough fat. Some folks need to push their fats up to 70% of total cals - if in doubt, SLATHER on the butter, eat an avocado, and go do some exercise. Wait an hour, and test your urine. If this doesn't get you into ketosis, I don't know WHAT will.

Good luck!

- Built
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:04

Stats: 163/155/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenamac
Hi all

I have been on atkins for the last 6 wks and only lost 6lbs. I take medicine for thyroid, but I don't know why I am loosing it so slowly, when others with thyroid probs seeem ok on this diet. I lost 5lbs in the first two weeks, put two on the second (because I went on holiday) and then lost one the week before last, none last week and none this week. I have been following atkins to the letter, counting my carbs and drinking like a fish!

I have been taking the right supplements, and have been eating all 'legal' foods (not frankenfoods such as "advantage bars"). I also don't seem to be in ketosis because my keto sticks aren't changing colour. I am below 20 grms carb and don't seem to be losing as fast as expected.

Please someone help!! am at the end of my thether, as I still have about 50lbs to go!

Cheers

I don't know about 50 more pounds to lose, because I don't know what your body type is. But those who are more overweight have a tendency to lose weight quicker. You might not be very leptin sensitive either. Also without looking at your food intake and exercise program it is hard to say. But don't be discouraged...everybody is different.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You definitely should take your measurements weekly. I often find I'm shrinking in inches when the pounds don't budge much.]

Having said that, I also do have to watch my calories. So you might find that low-carb/low-calorie is a good thing to do also.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:49

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I must stress again that despite what you may have heard in the media, Low-Carb is not an instant weight loss magical pill. Low-Carb works because the food we eat keeps us full, gives us energy and makes us feel great, whereas other avenues of losing weight make us cranky, starving and jittery.

1-2lbs per week is perfectly normal for weight loss.

You need to read the book, start with Induction (20carbs a day), move onto OWL where you experiement with carbs until you reach the level that still allows you to safely lose and keep a constant carb level. www.atkins.com has a lot of great information as well as all the great people here on the boards.

LL