Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 05:42

Plan: whatever the heck works
Stats: 169/138/120 Female 66 inches
BF:no/thank/you
Progress: 63%
Angry What the H##L?!?!?

Really, really angry this morning!!

Yesterday, I was elated to see a huge whoosh.....went from 150.5 to 147.5 overnight. I thought my stall was finally over and I was on my merry way again.

I woke up this morning.......EVERY BIT of those three pounds have returned!! Yesterday, I had steak and asparagus for breakfast, cucmber and pepper slices for lunch and cabbage with salad dressing for dinner. I also had 12 glasses of water (no pop or coffee). Add to that an hour-long walk. What did I do to deserve this?!?!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 06:11
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

it doesnt sound like you really ate much of anything at all.

Cabbage and asparagus can also make some people bloated.

You might want to try balancing your meals a bit more. Adding some more protein and fat and calories to your diet. More water wouldnt hurt either.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 06:59
Registered Member

Plan: ongoing baby
Stats: 325/203/180 Male 6'0"
BF:17%
Progress: 84%

the same thing happens to me. I lose a few pounds and then the very next day their back. Im not sure if it has something to do with water and how much I drink the next day, but whatever I lose always seems to return for a couple of days. Just give it a few days and they'll be gone for good. Your meals sound good and I wouldnt change them.

Alex
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 08:33

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Just keep on the right track, pounds go up and down during the week, and so many things can affect, food, TOM, hormonal, foods you eat. Just take in stride and keep up the great work!

LL
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270.5/215/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Don't be a slave to your scale! As hard as it is weigh only once a week first thing in the am. Your doing great, don't get discouraged and keep up the good work!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 08:56

Stats: 206/166/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Talking

Supernova, Read the last few posts from me in my journal, and you'll see just what water will do to you. Those lbs back are not true, it's just your water balance. I'm convinced because this happens to me every morning, If I weigh as soon as I get up lbs are back, then a little while later before I start drinking up the water, I'll weigh again (I'm not addicted to the scale ) anyway those lbs are gone again. It's all water hun don't sweat it, on second thought do sweat it out
Tammy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 09:15
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

ps, your diet menu for the day was good, but, you should try to eat 3 - 6 meals a day to keep your body stoked with fuel. When one eats only 1 -2 meals, even if lc, your body starts to HOLD ON to food thinking you're in a starvation situation. This will also incourage stalls to hang on.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:44
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

Happens to me all the time...dont worry about it. I'll see a drop in the scale and then be back up for 4 or 5 days. Generally, though, when I see that drop...it means that within the week I'll WILL actually be there...but it sometimes takes another 4 or 5 days before it's official.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 12:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

You know what I do. If I find that I am down 3 lbs that is what I weigh until I lose another three lbs even if my weight goes up and down in the mean time. I think that my body, in particular is having a hard time accepting the weightloss and has to make sure that that is what I want. Ten months later I'll be down another 3 lbs. I don't fret about every tasty tidbit I ate. Afterall this is a woe not a diet. I might be more careful about my carbs the next day. Being of the female persuasion, I tend to retain water anyway esp during TOM and I never weigh myself at that time. I think that our bodies are more into retaining water than fat anyway.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 16:01

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 250/199/110 Female 5'1"
BF:don't know
Progress: 36%

2 suggestions... only get on the scale 1 or 2 times a week.. less aggervation and dissappointment.. also the less your on the scale the bigger the losses seem.

... the other is measure yourself. Many times your body will slow down w/ the pound loss and you will still have mega inch loss.. your body catching up w/ the weight loss... so don't get too discouraged! or be so hard on yourself!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 17:55

Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

5 pound loss over night = water loss. Big deal. You are dehydrated.

.5 pound loss over a month = fat loss. Reason to celebrate.

Just my take on it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 18:26

Plan: General
Stats: 229/196/125 Female 5'3""
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default hi

This is why you don't want to weigh every day. I know it's hard not to. Also, like the above post stated, measure yourself. I went two weeks without losing anything. I was ready to quit and I was told to get a tape and measure myself. So, that's what I did. I had lost 8 inches! So, I felt better and this week, I lost one more pound. The same thing had happened to me. That's when I learned not to weigh everyday. I can't say I weigh once a week, because I can't wait that long. I probably weigh 2 times a week now. But, don't stress over it, just get a tape and measure, and don't weigh everyday and keep on trying.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:36

Aaaawwww....ya'll are so great to rally round me. Seriously....thanks.

All of what you said was excellent advice, and I'm going to keep it close to me. Um....all except that nonsense about not weighing myself obsessively. Y'all were joking about that, right? I mean that's just ridiculous advice!

Though I honestly think that's great advice, I'd be lying if I said I was going to take it to heart. I am totally obsessed with numbers (though I truly measure my progress by putting on a certain pair of jeans every few days or so) and I can't imagine that changing. I use the scale as a barometer for how hard I have to work that day. I know it's unhealthy, but I just can't let go of that bad habit right now. I will, though, try and keep my whiny tantrums on this board to a minimum when the scale doesn't read as I'd like it to.

THANKS!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 23:00

Plan: General
Stats: 229/196/125 Female 5'3""
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
"though I truly measure my progress by putting on a certain pair of jeans every few days or so"

This stuck out to me becuase I had been doing the same thing and finally I put them on the other day and THEY FIT! I was so excited! So, hang in there, it will come before you know it. I totally understand wanting to weigh everyday. I did that for the longest time, but now I weigh about twice a week.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 05:08

Yay, Jennifer!

There are two pair of pants I'm using to measure my success (I use pants since I'm sitting on most of the weight I have to lose ). The first pair I put on yesterday and they looked GOOD! Wow. Just a month ago, I thought "gawd, I can't put those on!". Now they look great! The second pair of pants is a size 7 pair of jeans. Currently, they won't zipper up....lol.....I'm hoping that by end of July, I'll be looking as good in those as I do in the other.

Good luck to both (all) of us!