Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:36

Plan: Atkins/Cigarettes/Coffee
Stats: 146/135/120 Female 5f 4
BF:Oink,Oin,O
Progress: 42%
Question Coffee and Diet Pop?

Does anyone drink these freely on this diet and still lose as normal? I think not having coffee and pop is worse than no food LOL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:34

Plan: whatever the heck works
Stats: 169/138/120 Female 66 inches
BF:no/thank/you
Progress: 63%

Luckily, I hate coffee, so no sacrifices there. But, I do have about 1 diet soda every day or two (I love diet coke with lime and diet dr pepper). I had my big loss in my first three weeks, and I was drinking both throughout that time (and they're both sweetened with evil aspartame).

If I had to give them up, I would, but it seems as though I'm alright.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:53

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

I drink coffee, and have had no problems losing weight. Full caffein too. No cream, No sugar, just black strong coffee. I have 4 - 8 cups a day.

Rarely touch diet sodas. And I drink 4+ liters of water on top of the coffee. I think the secret to my weight loss is running to the rest room.

--nw
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:55
Fu Fu Kitty

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/236/175 Female 5' 5.5
BF:
Progress: 39%

I'm drinking a flavored coffee as I write this. I use heavy cream and Splenda in it. I also drink diet soda constantly. The coffee and the soda that I drink are all decaf though. The soda is Diet Rite, which is sweetened with Splenda. I thought that we were just suppose to give up caffeine. I lost 20 lbs. the first month I was on Atkins and I never gave up coffee or soda. So, do what you want and see how it affects your weight loss.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 11:41

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

I can tell you're from the north...Pop...haven't heard anyone use that one in a while. I'm from Illinois living in Texas and everything here is coke...where I come from we call it pop...but I digress
I drink regular coffee and diet coke whenever I want. I'm still losing nicely, but I think that if I cut them out I'd lose quicker. But sanity is key here so I do what I do and still keep going. One day I want to try to eliminate them both all together, but until I get a job where I can show up at 9am I'm drinking my cup'o'joe!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 11:43
Registered Member

Stats: 280/280/170 Male 5'-10
BF:
Progress: 0%

Not a coffee drinker myself but do drink green tea everyday, at least 1.5L of water and I drink Diet Orange Crush or Diet Crush Cream Soda freely (Splenda). Still lose an average of 2.5lbs per week
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 13:08

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybs
I can tell you're from the north...Pop...haven't heard anyone use that one in a while. I'm from Illinois living in Texas and everything here is coke...where I come from we call it pop...but I digress

LOL! We go to the Texas Motor Speedway every spring and you are right! "Down there" everything is coke! They can either pick us out as being from Canada, Wisconsin or Minnesota by the way we pronounce "home" and when we order a "pop" instead of a "coke"!

I drink about a pot of decaf a day and about two or three "pops" a day. Usually I drink Diet Rite but sometimes I really miss my Diet Pepsi and have a large fountain drink!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 13:24
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I drank/drink coffee & diet soda regularly. I like to have coffee every other day, or only 1/2 a cup per day, and I drink diet soda with caffeine at least once a day. I also drink water, Crystal Light, and hot flavored teas sweetened with Stevia.

mel
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I laid off coffee for over 2 months, then I reintroduced it, and I ONLY drink half-reg/half-caf if I drink it, and no more than one cup a day, two max. Caffeine was a problem for me, as it is a known insulin trigger. I had a headache all week when I withdrew, that couldn't be cured by any pills. As far as soda and (even Crystal Light), it is a weight loss bomb- not only does it usually contain caffiene (not the Crystal Light) most of the time, it also usually contains aspartame and most always has citric acid, both known stallers. Drink Diet Rite if you gotta have it, but be aware that even this "legal soda" has citric acid. If I drink Diet Rite too much I stall or even gain. Try decaf green tea, it is delicious either hot or cold, or with or without cream.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 19:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

i drink real coffee everyday..... no sugar just plain old black coffee. about two to three cups per day.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 19:21

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Pop and soft drinks are the Canadian terms for what Americans call "soda". In Canada, a soda is a mix of carbonated drink over ice cream.

Citric acid is a major ingredient of many soft drinks including Crsytal Lite and other mixes and Dr. Atkins's books warn that it stalls some people.

With that, aspartame and the caffeine in some diet drinks, you'll just have to try and see. Maybe it's better to leave the caffeine withdrawal until after you are safely into LC eating. And maybe, if a person had cut out colas & coffee right away, they'd be 10 pounds lighter already. It comes down to what you can do and still stick with the LC.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 23:11

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Only some Americans call them soda. Around here it's usually 'pop'. I picked up 'soda' from someone I knew who had lived in California their whole life. Of course if you want a cola, then it's called whatever your cola of choice is, so if your favorite is Coke, you order a Coke even if all they have is Pepsi and vice-versa. Kinda weird, huh? LOL

I used to be a big coffee drinker, then gave that up when I got married because we had lousy water which made even worse coffee. That's when I got into the Diet Coke habit. I actually managed to give that up about five years ago and replaced it with Diet Rite. Then when I started on Atkins, I found that I'd get so thirsty all the time I didn't want much more than water with the occasional Diet Rite thrown in. Too much soda ends up tasting way too sweet to me.

From what I've seen on the forums here and in real life, the carbonated beverage and/or coffee/tea thing really depends on the person. Both my hubby and his brother drink diet colas like crazy and lose weight like crazy. As I said, I gave up diet drinks with aspartame (except for a rare occasion) some years back so haven't had the opportunity to see if it messes with me or not.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 01:49
Registered Member

Stats: 305/284/161 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 15%

I really used to love my coffee. When I first started Atkins I'd gave up the coffee. It slowly crept back into my diet and it coincided with a stall. I'm coffee free again and losing wieght steadily.

I 've never liked diet fizzy drinks, so thats never been a problem. I used to like a can of Pepsi with a meal though, pre Atkins.

Now I drink about 5 pints of water a day. Previously I'd be lucky to have 1 pint.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 86%

No problem drinking coffee-been doing the gourmet stuff long before Starbucks arrived on the scene and that's one thing I just couldn't give up. I was never much of a pop, soda, softdrink person. (Where I grew up in Colorado it was usually "pop", or sometimes "sody pop").
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 08:03

Stats: 215/191/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I've been drinking full strength coffee (colombian supreme), black, no sweetner, for the duration. It never caused me a problem. I confine it to the early mornings, however. Coffee has always kept me "regular". I can count on a walk to the bathroom within 30 minutes of my first cup.