Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default My Doc called me last night....

My Doc called me last night with the results from my pap smear. He said it was normal but that I have a yeast infection. (I figured so much, I had and joint inflamation about a month and a half ago and he gave me antibiotics for that and I always end up with yeast problems when taking antibiotics). I had started using Oil of Oregano about a week and a half ago because I had suspected that yeast may be a problem. I did not have any real signs of a yeast infection, just wondering why I wasn't losing. I suspect I may have had yeast problems even prior to the antibiotics. I have not lost any weight since the beginning of Dec. in fact, the last few weeks I gained three pounds that I attributed to water weight because I feel so puffy. Does yeast do that? Anyway, after starting the Oil of Oregano
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:30

BF:

Sorry about that! I accidently hit the submit button. I thought I was done with the post, the phone rang.
Anyway, after starting Oil of Oregano on the 13th I have lost 1.5 pounds. What are your experiences with yeast/weightloss/oil of oregano?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:46

Stats: 206/166/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Question

Ive NEVER had a yeast infection in all my 30 years, I was just wondering if certin foods that I'm eating now could possibly cause one. I'm scared to death of getting a yeast infection. I probably will never have that problem though, I hope.
Tammy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:56

BF:

I remember some ladies talking about the lc diet leading to yeast infections because of the high amounts of cheese etc. I may be wrong. momof4boys: Never say Never! ha
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:07

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

When you take anibiotics you kill the good flora along with the bad. Get some accidophalis to replace the good. In the future when you are put on antibiotics take the accidophlis at the same time to prevent the yeast infection. Low carb has nothing to do with yeast infections. Sugar and white flour promote yeast.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:19
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

There have been posts about this recently, I was losing on average 1.5 lb a week - UNTIL OoO - the first week of being on it I lost 4lb - and continue to lose on avearage 3lb a week! It really DOES work for some people.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you already have a yeast problem, avoiding fermented foods (such as aged cheese, vinegar, wine and beer) and fungus such as mushrooms for a while would be a good idea. The other thing that yeast absolutely loves is sugar. I never had a yeast infection in my life until my mid-30's when my blood sugars got out of control. Then I was having one a month on average.
I haven't had a yeast infection since I started low carb over 3 years ago.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:31

BF:

Thank you for the replys but what is "accidophlis" and Oo0?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

acidophilus is a substance found in yogurt, although you can get it by itself as a supplement. I've found that yogurt (only with active cultures) is a much tastier way to get it. I have a daughter that had frequent ear infections requiring antibiotic treatment and our routine has always been to make sure that she gets plenty of yogurt during and after treatment to replace the "good" gut bacteria killed by the antibiotics.
OOO is oil of oregano which can also be purchased as a supplement. It's been used for centuries and does have an anti-yeast property to it although it generally takes several weeks of treatment to have an effect.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:37

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

From what I have learned so far, fungal infections are a sign of possible wheat allergies. Oil of oregano is excellent at clearing up the infections but if the infection is caused by an allergy to wheat, you may still have problems losing weight. Dr. Atkins recommends removing everything that is wheat related such as low carb bread or soy for 6 weeks and begin adding a little at a time. Protein Power recommends the removal for only 2 weeks.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:03

BF:

Thank you! I am currently using OoO (except I did not know the abbreviation! ha). Actually I have been using it since the 13th, and since then I have lost 1.5 pounds. I found small gel caps that are 150 mg and 10:1 concentrate. The bottles suggested use is 1 to 4 gel tabs daily. I have been taking 3 in the morning and 3 ate around 5. Is it possible to take too much?

I thought yogurt was not an acceptable food? Or is that just the flavored (sugared) yogurts?
Thank you for your patience with my dumb questions.... Lori
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:14

Plan: LC/Shangri-La
Stats: 157.5/141/120 Female 5 ft. 1 in.
BF:?
Progress: 44%

I've been taking 1 150 mg gel cap for three weeks now and have lost 4 lbs. It thrills me because I was stalled for over a month!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:21

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Blue Bunny has a great low carb yogurt - Carb Freedom that is a 6 oz cup with only 5 carbs. It is sweetened with Splenda. Dannon has a lc "dairy product" that is sold like yogurt, but it isn't and doesn't have the live yogurt cultures. Good luck with everything!

Marie
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:24

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

Hi there, I can totally sympathize with you. I have spent the last 6 years of my life suffering from Vulvar vestibularlitis and lichen sclerosis, both of which caused me to have chronic yeast infections for two years. Fun fun. Anyway, as far as the weight loss is concerned I have seen several posters you were taking OoO and it stoped their weight loss so you might want to consider that. As far as the yeast goes, generally those who have a higher sugar carb intake are the ones that suffer from the yeast infections. Maybe if you are eating a lot of sugar alcohols that could be a problem. Also, you can purchase acidophulis pills at GNC or you want to make sure that the yogurt you purchase has life cultures in it, many do not. However, in most people the pills and yogurt do not help. I took Nizoral for about a year... I doubt it would be necisarry for you since you do not have a severe condition making you more likely to get yeast infection, I'd say two weeks max. Ask your doc, you can get pills or the yuk stuff (which does work better than the pills so I recommend that). Other things to consider are, have you been working out for a longer period of time, you could be getting sweatier down there and that could cause it. Then the obvious, detergents, pany hose, non cotton underwear, bubble bath, non using a water soluable lubricant during intercourse. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I wish you the best I know how miserable these things can make you.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:25

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

I forgot, I always ask for Nizoral if I am going to be put on an antibiotic, it prevents the yeast, you will want the prescription to extend two days past the last dose of your antibiotic. Okay, I think thats it.