Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 07:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/166/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile On induction how often did you weigh?

Just wondering how often everyone weighed during induction? I personaly weigh everyday first thing in the morning. today is day 10 and I'm down 11lbs. Whoo hoo! Isn't that wonderful. I think I will continue on the induction an extra week, but after the 14days I will only weigh once a week, because I know this weight loss WILL slow down. I know I can't keep losing at this rate. Too good to be true. LOL I think my scale is decieving me! LOL
Tammy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 07:28

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

I have weighed almost every day since I started this WOE, but I don't get hung up on the numbers. If seeing increases in weight upsets you, you should only weight once per week or less.

After a while, you'll want to switch to measuring tapes as the results will be more evident with them.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 07:41

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I know this is extremely hard to change, but I would also suggest weighing yourself once every week or every two weeks. It took me nearly a year to change my weighing habit, but once I did, I feel soooo much better. I will only weigh myself once every 2 weeks. If I'm eating lowcarb, healthy and keep the calories relatively on the low-end, I know there's no way I could gain weight. I don't obsess with the scale number anymore.

Serre
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 07:47

Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

I don't obsess with the scale number anymore.

Glad you're not "obsessing" any more.

Many people use frequent weighing as a proxy for counting carbs. (If the scale goes up, you likely ate too many carbs, nuts, berries, or drank too much alcohol).

I don't see frequent weighings as an obsession. It is interesting. It is a method to see what works and does not. What good is is to find out 2 weeks later that you have added a chunk of weight. Better to know early so that you can then correct right away.

Last edited by PacNW : Sat, May-22-04 at 07:56.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:03

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Yes but how realistic is associating eating more carbs with gaining actual fat? How helpful is it to see that you've gained some fake weight? If you gain weight after eating more carbs but keep calories the same, that likely means you're just retaining water, not gaining real weight (fat).

But then again I'm one of those that believe calories play more of a role than carbs in making you gain or not. For other people, likely that's different.

However, I do understand the need to weight yourself more often in the beginning stages of lc'ing to see your progress. Since I'm on maintenance/premaintenance the scale number doesn't bother me a whole lot. Now I go more with the way my clothes feel.

Serre
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Many people use frequent weighing as a proxy for counting carbs. (If the scale goes up, you likely ate too many carbs, nuts, berries, or drank too much alcohol).

Or...you ate too much salt and are retaining water. Or...you worked out extra hard and your muscles are retaining water. Or...it got hot and humid and your whole body is retaining water. Or...you're about to get your period and you're retaining water. Or...you've replaced some of your fat with muscle.
An increase on the scale is not a guaranteed indicator that you have gained fat (or eaten too much of something even) and correlation does not equal causation.
The scale is only one tool (and a sometimes unreliable one at that) to help you gauge your success or lack of it. Measureing is another good tool as is using a formerly tight piece of clothing.
As you can probably guess, I'm not a big fan of using the scale as your only means of seeing how effective what you're doing is. I've seen way too many people panicing for no reason and letting a number totally ruin their day when it isn't what they think it should be.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:33

Stats: 206/166/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Talking

Actually I did measure myself, but I only plan to re-measure myself once a month. I'm only weighing on the scale everyday during induction to make sure nothing I'm eating is affecting my weight loss. My scale is only moving in the down direction. but I know that if it were to end up being up a pound or two it is probably water weight. but I'm really good at drinking my water. And I'm using keto strips, and they are turning so I'm on the right track anyway! Is everyone else as excited as I am about this way of life? I can honestly say I don't think there is anything better!
Tammy