Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 21:51

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Fear of feeling “satiated” after 1 hr. of eating, good and bad emotion!

Is going to be hard to explain this, specially since English is not my first language so cope with me…

In my past 3 years where I was eating RawVegan Food I did few long Water/juice fasts two of them very long (70 days each), I develop after the fasts a lot of fear, fear since I had a lot of problems putting my intestines to work after them, (long story).. but the point of this is “my fear”. Some of the symptoms while doing the fast (they used to tell me they where detox symptoms) felt so different that anything I new before, so after coming out of the fast and develop major physical side effects I was stock with those “emotions” as very BAD signs, so…

Now that I am on Atkins (a year after all this mess), I am so happy I feel full on this diet, and that I can eat a lot of different foods coming from all source of animals, (new for me). But I have experience this “sensation-emotion” that I am “worry about”. When I eat, after like an hour, all my food is well digested and with not bloated, or any other problem, in fact just a perfect digestion. But I do experience this flavor on my mouth of the “coconut oil” I fry my fatty-delicious-red-meat” witch you could say it’s a wonderful things, but it isn’t because at the same time..

(Here it comes….) there is this quiet moment like I can feel my blood being just stable, (if I fantasy on how to explain that to you, of course), this feeling of being “stable” “like a quiet moment in my body” “just feels so different”, instead of feeling good about it, I worry, I wonder if is “low blood sugar” ( I don’t experience weakness, and they check my blood pressure and I am ok, so I decided it was just my “old fears” reacting towards a new experience), but at the same time I am here searching for some help from you. somehow this period scares me, feels so different than anything I have experience, but then after 1/2 hr, it goes away, that is why I think there is a connection with “the exact time my body might be using in “ketosis way”, the fat from my body as energy to digest my food” You can say I am totally nuts…lol.

I was wondering if you can share with me in your best possible way how you actually feel after a meal, how your body feels different as when you weren’t on Atkins. How “in your body” you feel now that you don’t have Cravings, or Ups and downs, or just elaborate if you did felt a different reaction on your body that got your attention…

I can't believed that a good feeling can be triggering me old emotions.. thanks..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 22:22

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

after my meals i feel full and not wanting more. err...nothing more though.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 22:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

Gee, I'd have to say that alot of us here on this board (me)might not have been too in touch with our bodies. I can honestly admit that I am (was) more of an emotional eater. Now that I'm on Atkins, I think I'm more in tune to the physical sensations of hunger, so that when I eat, that is what I pay attention too. After a meal I feel satisfied, and I don't get the "rush" that carbs give you.
Hope this helps your curiosity.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 06:51

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I think that you are very much in touch, and aware of your body; which is great. But, you probably pay more attention the feelings after you eat because of the harm and deprivement that the water/juice fasts caused in your body. You sound like you may be shocked at how good it feels to eat normally and surprised at how it feels to digest food that taste good and is good for your body. Just relax and live in the realization that you are doing a good thing for yourself. Welcome to the wonderful world of Atkins!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 07:10

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with Pookalee. Sometimes we live too much inside our own heads, if that makes any sense. If you can simply relax and know that you are giving your body exactly what it needs, you'll be much happier.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:40

BF:

Thanks for your words, I agree a lot with you --all. I think I will need to relax and start believing that now there is no reason for any fear as I am giving my body all the necesary nutrients... I will start trusting more that I am ok today and that I am not longer destroying my body anymore.

#7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

How does your therapist discribe your rea
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevbme
How does your therapist discribe your rea

My shrink says that I was under a HUGE amout of pressure while doing this fast, what happen is that on my 60 day into the fast I couldn’t breath well and the doctor who was directing this fast at the spa I was at, he said it was normal, but I knew different so I only stayed on the fast until my 70 dayand then broke the fast bymyself (going away from the spa) as I thought it was just wrong to stay there, I was enroll into the 90 day fast,can you imagine another month with all the side effects? and I just couldn’t continue with all the breathing problems (even do I was so thin, that wasn’t enough, my intuition told me better.

So I left the spa and broke the fast by myself (ohh god huge mistake) my intestines where simply not working and then a huge hunger took over and well I gain all the weight back and more, plus I was left all the days since then with a huge “fear” of having another of those episodes of “not being able to breath” of not digesting things, or depriving myself… since I was surrounded by people that where doing the same fast like me, I was getting all this info like… “is ok to pass thru all this side effects, they are call emotional detox”… emotional detox, wow, how could I agree on this statement.

Is a year from that, but all this year has been a huge transition of letting go my fears, repeating to myself that “now I am safe” etc.. so you all might be right, with time I might get more comfortable and stop focusing so much on my digestion, on my food.

My doc. Says that this diet will help me cure faster of my fears since I eat so much food, coming from animals, fats (totally the opposite of my last years where I was RawVegan)..

Last edited by cucu : Sat, May-22-04 at 11:18.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:57

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I can sorta...kinda... relate

I never experienced eating a vegan lifestyle but I once felt that it was important to have one meatless meal/week I thought that I was doing my and my family's health a favor. I never ate the way I truly wanted to until I began Atkins. I do feel good, refreshed after eating a meal of steak, seasoned mashed cauliflower and mustard greens. We have been taught to fear what is good for us and gobble down foods that aren't. Eating is 90% mental. If it weren't 90% mental eating would be so much easier on us humans.

By the way.... I love your story thanks for sharing.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 11:02

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I can sorta...kinda... relate

I never experienced eating a vegan lifestyle but I once felt that it was important to have one meatless meal/week I thought that I was doing my and my family's health a favor. I never ate the way I truly wanted to until I began Atkins. I do feel good, refreshed after eating a meal of steak, seasoned mashed cauliflower and mustard greens. We have been taught to fear what is good for us and gobble down foods that aren't. Eating is 90% mental. If it weren't 90% mental eating would be so much easier on us humans.

By the way.... I love your story thanks for sharing.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 17:00

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

I used to feel a sort of rush (high blood sugar) after eating, with some digestive discomfort, and then a crash (low blood sugar) after about an hour, at which time I'd get very hungry again.

NOW I feel full and happy, and no roller coaster.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 17:39
Registered Member

Stats: 169/169/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am only on day 2 of induction, so I really won't be any help with your questions. I do however have an anxiety problem and I am on medication for it. I find that because of my anxiety, I am more aware of how my body reacts to everything. It sounds like you are experiencing anxiety over old feelings.
I hope the reasurrance that you have got from this board will help ease it. I am sure that I will be asking for reasurrance here as well at some point. It is hard to change your thinking and to accept that we can feel satisfied and still reach the goals we are looking for.
Thank you for shring your story!