Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 15:58

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Though it's not necessarily in my face discrimination, I strongly feel I've lost job opportunities because of my weight. You get looks from everyone around you, with looks of contempt on their faces. I've had people heavier than I look at me with a sort of desparation, I've had thin people look at me as if to say "god don't ever let me get THAT fat". Men & dating? Forget it, no one will look past your weight, doesn't matter what kind of personality you have, they all want thin, and they'll take a thin woman who treats them like yesterday's garbage over a fat girl anyday..........

I've had looks at airports, on the plane, even in Starbucks, where no one will sit near you because they might 'catch' what you have, obesity, like you're going to bite them or talk to them or something.

My brother tells fat jokes all the time and is quite demeaning towards anyone who isn't tall & lanky like him.

I thank GOD every day for my present boss, who obviously saw something beyond the weight and hired me, he is so happy with my work and doesn't regret giving me a chance. He is tall and very thin, my weight didn't seem to affect him at all..........

The other bad thing is I cannot walk in my neighboorhood for the comments retarded men seem to want to yell your way as you walk down the street, so I stick to Greenlake or the gym.

I've noticed people looking in my cart at the grocery store, probably wonder what the hell I eat that makes me so fat? Well, it was never any fast food, junk food, never ate any chips, cookies or cakes. My one and only rare indulgence was Starbucks Java Chip Ice Cream. Oh well, go figure..........

LL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 06:21

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLucy
The other bad thing is I cannot walk in my neighboorhood for the comments retarded men seem to want to yell your way as you walk down the street, so I stick to Greenlake or the gym.

Please don't use the word "retarded" as an insult. Mentally challenged people, like my sister, didn't choose to be "retarded" any more than you chose to be overweight. Actually, she had less to do with being "retarded" than you had with being overweight.

If we're going to be offended by people who treat overweight people poorly, then we have to be just as sensitive to how we treat other people who are different.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I would say that fat people are treated differently and should be,

Why? Because they don't fit some arbitrary standard of beauty it's okay to treat them badly (and it's not "different"...it's just plain bad treatment)?
I find multiple body piercings distasteful and unattractive. Does that make it okay for me to be rude and discriminate against those people just because I find it unattractive and they chose to do that to their bodies? How much of being treated "differently" is okay and when does it cross the line into being unacceptable?
When you meet someone who is overweight or see an overweight person out in public, how do you know that they haven't already lost a significant amount of weight and are doing everything they can to improve their health? You don't, unless you first get to know them.
As someone already pointed out, many people got overweight doing everything that conventional medical wisdom says they should do only to find themselves heavier than before. How is it okay to "punish" the overweight by treating them "differently" simply because they haven't yet found the answer that they are seeking or because you or anyone else don't think they're working hard enough at it?

Last edited by Lisa N : Sat, May-22-04 at 09:28.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 12:00
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Angry

Hi

I have been overweight through much of my life. I started gaining around
age 10 and it has gone up and up ever since. I believe I have been treated very poorly by peoiple due to my weight.

I was dumped by my very first bf because I was overweight (I was 160 pounds then) and his parents and brothers could not understand how he could be going out with such a fat person.

My last bf recently dumped me and I believe my weight had something to do with that as well. He even outright told me my weight embarrased him on our first anniversary. It sure hurt as he was overweight himself and his weight was not an issue for me. I saw him for who he was that day.

I have been told by my father over the years I do not need to eat certain things and he wonders why now we are not very close. Duh.

I am criticised by my own sons at times and I have heard things from my own siblings as well as so called friends. I have seen looks by ppl and been taunted at by teenagers driving past me in cars as I walked down the street minding my own business.

I could count on one hand people who never said anything bad to me or about me regarding my weight.

Do I think fat discrimination exists? Damn right I do!!!!!!!