Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 10:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/138/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question xmas party dilemna

I'm going to the company party tonight ... do I low carb or do I not? I've been gaining instead of losing, despite my almost religious fanaticism about sticking to the plan.

If I have a one evening that isn't LC do I have to do induction again?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 11:24

Stats: 249/230/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi there. To answer your question I would say that 1 night of no LC with your recent gain it probably would be a good idea for induction again. But in all honesty if it were me I would stick with the LC and eat before I went to the party that way you were not tempted. Usually at most parties that I have been to they usually have appetizers that you can munch on such as cheese trays and meat trays. If you are going to a restaurant then if you have to order off the menu. But I would eat something like I said before hand so that way you are not in a situation. Just my opinion, hope it helps ya. Please try to stay on the wagon and don't give in to this party this time, there's always next year. Good luck and let me know how it goes. sabrina
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 11:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default weight gain

gaining weight is all i've done on induction and the two weeks since, aside from my original 5 pound loss. sigh.

i ordered plain salmon and veggies ... i was just wishing for 1 glass of wine.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 11:41

BF:

Hi there, cna you give me some examples of some of the things that you have been eating while on induction and the past two weeks? Also have you been drinking your water? 64 ounces or more? sabrina
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 11:45

BF:

Hi there, can you give me some examples of the things that you have been eating while on induction and the past two weeks? Also have you been drinking all of your water, 64 ozs. plus? I think I did something wrong on the first reply so I did it again. So there might be 2 of these reply's. sabrina
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 12:22
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sabrina,

To be honest I've posted all this before .. but I would a second opinion (or third).

I've been drinking 80oz of water for the last 1+ weeks. Originally I wasn't and was drinking diet pop, which I've now cut out completely.

I eat bacon and eggs for brekkie.
Left over steak and 2 eggs for lunch. Occasionally 2 ozs of cheese.
For dinner either steak or shrimp, small salad with 1/2 and avocado and blue cheese dressing. Sometimes I put bacon in the salad.
For pre-sleep snack I eat some light Jello and 2-3 tbsps of nutriwhip.

On averager I eat about 20-25g of carbs a day.

1 cup of caffeine (coffee) with whip cream and sweetner.

That's it.

I gained 20lbs in a month. Was hoping to lose it in a month, but now am up 1 pound instead. SIGH!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 12:44

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 179/156/140
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default x-mas party

Hi

Have a great time at your x-mas party and don't worry too much about what to eat. Do what you are comfortable with, there is always tomorrow.

As for the wine, personally I drink wine one night a week (Friday) and I always wake up to a loss. I am not encouraging it, because everyone is different, but I don't think it would hurt you to have a glass. Have a glass of a nice dry red wine. I prefer merlot. Keep in mind you are low-carbing and trying to lose weight and get healthier, you are not giving up all the fun things in life and if you want to kick up your heels and have a glass of wine at a x-mas party I say "Go for it"
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 14:38

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Torontogal!

I can see that you are very frustrated, but I have a question - how did you gain 20 lbs in a month? Is there a medical reason that you know of? If there is, this may be affecting your ability to lose weight? Have you sought medical advice. Gaining 20 lbs in a month is extraordinary! Forgive me if you've already discussed this elsewhere...

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 14:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Torontogal...I applaud you...I tried atkins and also gained while on induction...I promptly switched plans...good for you for sticking with it.

As for your party...only you can decide what you are going to do...the thing you need to think about tho...is having a plan. Decide what you are going to eat..or drink..give yourself permission to have a glass of wine if that is what you want. Just stop at one. Don't have 2 or 3 if you only planned on one.

Remember that this is a WOL, not a diet...we have heard this over and over again...but it is so true. If you enjoy having an occasional glass of wine when you are not dieting, then you should allow yourself one now. Because all you are really doing is living a healthier life style. IMHO this does not mean giving up life's little pleasures, only watching that life's little pleasures does not turn into "the out of control" lives we were leading before.

After reviewing what I have just wrote...I question what I have said now due to the fact that you are on induction. Perhaps some may disagree with me. But I know that if it were me. I would do just as I advised, because whether we have been at this LC thing for years or just beginners, it is forever, so we must incorporate it into our daily routines. We all know that this time of year is difficult. I think it always will be, so best to have a plan. Even if we get through this without a weight loss...without a gain in its self will be a great accomplishment. At least for me.

Good luck to you at your party...have fun...and relax...no matter what you decide is best for you.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 17:23

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

TG,
20 pounds in one month? Is that a typo? If not, I understand your frustration! Do you have a thyroid problem?
Hope you figure out what is causing the weight gain soon!
Heather
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 00:06
Registered Member

BF:
Default sigh

well I ate what I wanted and had a glass of wine and a light beer (well half a light beer). that is the maximum I drink anyway.

when I started this diet I wrote to ask about the medication I am on which is celexa 40mg a day. I will be off it in march, god willing. until then I have no choice but to take it, as the consequences of stopping AMA are not worth it in my opinion.

I gained the 20lbs after starting the celexa. I have tried everything I could think of it to lose it, and have for the past 18 months lived a fairly LC existence. before that I was a vegetarian for 6 years, as a matter of food preference.

no my thyroid is fine, though it gets checked regularly. a bad thyroid would explain many of my current health problems, but it doesn't seem to be that. I am seriously thinking of going to an endocrinologist.

Opinions? Anybody else had thyroid problems that couldn't be diagnosed by the standard blood test (including free T4). I have all the symptoms. Tiredness, heavier periods, weight gain, .... However my doctor says not likely. I think it is my thyroid and it is common in my family.

suggestions for switching diets? I have no problem with this WOL or WOE. It's just frustrating to be unable to lose no matter how careful you are.

yes I sinned tonight, but I'm not on induction. I've been dieting now for 4 weeks.

though I have repeatedly been told on this forum I just need more patience. I'm not sure how much more is reasonable.

idea? thoughts? helps?

all input gratefully accepted.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 05:28

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Torontogal -

Hmmm...I did a quick search on Celexa and according to the manufacturer, weight gain is not a known side effect of the drug. In fact, in their study, there was an average weight loss of 1/2 a pound. This isn't to say that anectodal evidence wouldn't indicate something different.

I would REALLY recommend seeing an endocrinologist. You may want to explore Syndrome X and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS - there's a forum for women with PCO here) - both can cause weight gain and tiredness...and depression! I think patience is called for - but maybe in your case, the patience needed is to take the time to really figure out what's going on inside your body and figure out how to deal with weight gain when you have all the information you need. Good luck.

JMHO...Lisa