Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 00:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%
Default Black soy beans "0 carbs"??? Is this for real???

cuz if this is then I'm gonna buy some. (bummer it's too late for cinco de Mayo) I found this on another site during a search for liquid splenda...
http://www.locarber.com/store/index.php?&prodID=bbn-01
but it sounds like one of those things that's too good to be true so I'm a bit leary about it. Have any of you ever tried these? I'd love to make some bean dip to go with my soy tortilla chips. or a bean burrito with a mission low carb "real" not sandpaper tasting flour tortilla.
Also...if there's a another known place in the USA to buy liquid splenda please let me know. Thanks. Annie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 01:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sadly, it's not.

This was a hot topic a while back and I'm quoting an informative post by Doreen T on it. The fiber has been pre-subtracted from the effective carb count so when you again subtract the fiber, it looks like 1 carb, but it's not.

Quote:
This is becoming more and more the norm ... in both Canada and the US. I have looked into the labelling requirements, and it seems that manufacturers are permitted to pre-subtract fiber, and there is no requirement for them to declare that they have done so on the label. They are only required to list both the carbs and the fiber in grams. It's up to the consumer to work out the calories.

**NOTE - apparently this is most often done with "high fiber foods", ie, the fiber content is 5g or more per serving of the product.

However, I have noticed things like generic branded frozen green beans ... you work out the prot/fat/carbs per the calories listed, and it works out that the fiber has already been subtracted. I wish there was some sort of consistency, but there's not.

I will continue to watch this closely, and will keep us all posted of anything new. In the meantime, it seems to be wise to do the math first -- don't just assume you can subtract the fiber grams from the total carbs to get the Effective Carb Count. Chances are the subtracting has already been done. This is especially of concern for diabetics who base their insulin dosages on carb intake.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 02:27

That's too bad. I was sure hoping. So there's probably no way to enjoy those things again, right? I don't understand how a person can know for sure if it's (the fiber) already subtracted out. I guess this is where the carb counter in the book comes in handy to cross reference, ya think? Hey..Karen..I looked at your website...Wow..You lost alot of weight..your bio doesn't hardly look like you. That's AWESOME. Your restaurant looks nice too, too bad I'm nervous about eating shellfish. I love it..we used to go crabbing in Anacortes all the time when I was a child but now my hands get itchy from the juices when I crack the stuff and the last time I had shrimp my throat started itching. My sister is allergic to crab so it runs in the family. I'd like to try avoiding the use of my epipens if I can- they're expensive. hehe I think I may get my parents a gift certificate for their anniversary. They LOVE seafood and go to Vancouver alot on their anniversary (that's where they went for their honeymoon too over 50 years ago. Annie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 04:34

Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Do any of you know the carb count of roasted green soy beans?
They are yummy, but the nutrition info is in chinese ( and I can't read chinese).
Are they OK ?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:01
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieFelac
I don't understand how a person can know for sure if it's (the fiber) already subtracted out.

Fortunately in the UK (and many other countries), everything is already subtracted (which can confuse people when they start out and think they can subtract them!)

The way to know for sure is to do the math:-

kCal = 4 * Protein + 9 * Fat + 4 * Carb

/me picks up pork scratchings, although not the best example:-

578 = 4 * 52 + 9 * 41 + 4 * "Trace"

So I can see from this that "Trace" is approx 1g carbs per 100g, but this is probably smaller due to rounding on the other two.

If 4 * protein + 9 * fat + 4 * carb isn't the same as kCal, then fiber hasn't been subtracted.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:03
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

black soy beans arent high in carbs either way.

I have a can around somewhere, I will look later and let you know. I think they were under 6g carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:19
Forum Founder

BF:

Annie, it's OK to use the beans in moderation. YOu can puree the beans with mayonnaise, heat it and add cheese and chili powder for a bean dip. It's quite tasty and stretches the carbs.

If your parents come for their anniversary, let me know.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:59

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Soy Alert: Soy is not healthful. The following link lists the myths behind soy.

http://www.westonaprice.org/myths_t...truths_soy.html

If you choose not to believe, fine. Just keep this in mind. Archer-Daniels-Midland, a huge multinational corporation makes gazillions by growing, promoting and selling soy all over the earth. The Weston A. Price foundation is funded by individual members with no apparent political or economic affiliation that I can detect, and promotes the findings from the work of Dr. Price in the 1920s and '30s as he traveled the world examining the health of different cultures. In addition, the many pioneering scientists involved are also the same ones who specifically support the low-carb lifestyle.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 15:39

Oooh. That sounds good. I may have to try that. I wonder if I can just buy black soybeans at the regular grocery store. It never even occurred to me that there would be some way to have them again until I ran across that site when I was looking for the liquid splenda. I may have to try that. We used to make "poor man's bean dip" with a small block of velveeta cheese and a can of chili all smushed up. I know that sounds gross but it was pretty good. I grew up on velveeta toasted cheese sandwiches so I'm kinda used to it. The only time I've ever bought it was to do the dip idea. Now that I'm grown up I would rather have my toasted cheese made with extra sharp cheddar. (I don't think I've had a toasted cheese sandwich since I was a child cuz it bugs me so much now). I actually don't like processed cheese very much at all now. Anyways...I will let you know if my folks come..right now I have no clue what their plans are yet.
As far as Twilightz's remarks...I don't eat soybeans because of the media's blitz on how healthy they are for you. My reason stems mainly from food allergies. I can't eat too much in the way of dairy products (as a matter of fact I had soy formula as a baby due to a bad milk allergy) and that's one reason why I'd rather have the quality cheeses now. If I'm going to eat it, which isn't too often anymore, it better be worth it. It usually gets my asthma going and results in a sinus infection if I have much. So to avoid the problems it was giving me I found ways to do alot of cooking with soymilk. Then when my children had various food allergies I had to stay away from peanut butter , milk , and wheat so I got pretty used to substituting weird ingredients to do my baking etc. I have alot of strange things around like Xanthum gum etc. just from doing that. That's probably why LCing isn't so bad to me, it's just more substituting and experimenting to get things to come out palatable. Anyways,,,thanks for the post but for our family soy is a good thing that I'm very thankful to have around. Annie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 17:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

There is a web site I have bookmarked which allows you to put in the various nutritional amounts cals, protein, etc. and it calculates the actual carb count so you can check whether what is listed on the product is correct. It is www.carbaware.org.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 09:24
Forum Founder

BF:

We have the same thing on this forum. It's under Low Carb Tools at the top of the page.

Hidden Carbs Inspector

Karen