Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 21:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default weighing

I weigh myself about once a month. My clothes can tell me if I've lost weight. But, I'm working in the last 10 lb. window and I'm sure that makes a difference. If I was wanting to lose more weight I'd keep closer track of my weight, probably every couple of weeks. Mostly I lowcarb for my health, but I'll take any weight lose that goes with it....also want to make sure I don't get my carbs too high and even start to gain a pound or two. I don't think it's a good idea to get too obsessed with the scales.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 05:59

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I know exactly what you mean LCS about weight creeping up on you! Last Dec. I weighed 175 lbs. by July I was 190 lbs. Probably got there in May but wasn't getting on a scale, so I really don't know for sure. I'm sure if I got on a scale and saw it creeping like that, I would have done some thing sooner. All not getting on the scale did for me was make me have to loose ANOTHER 15 lbs. to reach my goal!!!!!!!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 18:28

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

I've found that the frequency of weighing is directly proportional to the amount of my anxiety about doing so

In other words when I weigh myself once per week, I get really anxious in case i am going to be disappointedd, and I have to steal myself to climb on board.

In the last week or so I have been hoping on each day - but without the head case!

I hate to think what kind of a state I would be in if I left it till monthly

Lesley
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 02:29
Registered Member

Stats: 109/93/75 Female 165 cm
BF:36.3/33.1/20
Progress: 47%
Thumbs up Weighing

Well I went out and brought myself some really cute scales, they weigh in stone, kilos and pounds, being a New Zealander I usually would weigh myself In kilos, but I have found pounds are much smallier, so right after going toilet in the morning I weigh myself, then last thing at night I weigh myself again, I liked it better when I had to go into town to weigh myself (once a week) because I find that its nothing to gain during the day, or is this just me.

No matter how everybody does it, lets just get that weight off

Regards Bambi
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 09:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

I hate scales period. If I weigh at 3 different places I get 3 different weights. If I weigh at the same scale 3x a day I get 3 different weights. In the beginning [of this wol] I was weighing myself every 3 days. During induction this was cool, because there was always a loss, but around my third week the losses dropped off and it was really depressing. I had a defeatis attitude (I'm being really good and I'm not loosing), and would eat things that I shouldn't for the rest of the day. Thank God I had enough sense to stick with it despite what the scales said. This is when I started measuring myself. I wish that I had measured myself when I first started, because I know I was a lot bigger than I am right now. So for now I weigh myself at the end of the month (once a month) and I take my measurements about evey two weeks. I began LCing 8/22/01 and I began taking my measurements around 9/17/01. I have lost 4inches from my chest, 7 inches from my waist (from 50 inches to 43), 4 inches from the area at the belly button, 2 inches from the hip, 3 inches from the inner thigh, 1 1/2 inches from my neck, and 3 inches from my upper arms. I write down my stats in my organizer and when ever the scale doesn't budge.. I look at my measurements. I then feel a great sense of accomplishment. So In my most humble opinion I could care less if I weighed a ton, but had a 38inch bust, 24 inch waist and 38 inch hips.

Last edited by gecolon : Sun, Dec-09-01 at 10:11.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 21:28

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

it happens to me most of the time too.....esp if you think you could be on a plateau.....or still trying to lose the carbs away from last saturday's potatoes.....

but still i see my legs getting slight slender....yet my weight either still stays there or goes down by a pound and back...

the best way to get the 'right' answer is juz to get the weekly average weight....

it could be a guessing game.... but still keep the WOE....at least you are EATING RIGHT!

2 cents!
Fumih
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 22:37

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I finally gave up the scale--though it has taken me 35 years of obsession, depression, anger, etc., etc. to do so. The silly emotional reactions to the weight are one reason I quit. Another is that I've been weightlifting for years, seriously for the past year, and I'm trying to get my LBM up to 130. If I weigh 155, that's pretty darned thin, even though I'm 5'6"...yet I can't believe that such a weight IS thin, and an average person (including an average MD, I'll warrant) would tell me it's overweight.

Now my goal is wearing a size 10. I'm in 12's, still, and I'll feel I'll be "there" when I'm a 10. On the other hand, it's not a "there" which will change my behavior, as I'll have to eat LC forever, so why fixate on it? Life is a process; I'm on the right road. I'm tired of trying to move down that road while repeatedly tripping over the scale.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 23:09
Registered Member

Stats: 204.5/149/145
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default weighing in

I only weigh myself on Saturday mornings as soon as I wake up. My sister, who is also low carbing, weighs herself 4-5 times a day. That seems extreme to me, as the body fluctuates naturally, not necessarily due to something eaten illegally. Is there a rule of thumb about how soon after eating something illegal is reflected on the scale? In an hour? The next day? She gets so frustrated when it goes up a pound or two that she won't eat the rest of the day (there's no talking her out of fasting the rest of the day - I've tried). Plus, as she is diabetic, her doctor is telling her to decrease her intake of protein, so I don't think she's getting enough protein either. She's torn between her doctor who knows she is low carbing but evidently chooses to ignore it, and me who is trying to explain why it works and help her get the hang of this WOE. She's lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks though, so she's doing something right !

Any thoughts?

Irish

Last edited by irish : Sun, Dec-09-01 at 23:18.