Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 16:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/260/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default weighing

I'm not sure if this would be the appropriate forum, but I'll also just observe that one thing that helped me a lot was that I almost never weigh myself. I decided early on that the first 2 weeks weight loss would set some sort of weird expectation for the rest of the diet.

And besides it's not about hitting a number (at least as I see it) but just feeling better.

I check once every month or two, but that's about it. But now that I'm on a very slow/maintenance type level I think maybe it would serve as more motivation to do it daily.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 18:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Ok sbs - I'll bite at that one. Not weighing myself and monitoring, was how I gained in the first place.

I'm an analyst at work. Details are my life So it's not a surprise that I weigh in 4x a day on a regular schedule, and have since I started LC'ing. Some may consider this obsessive. My dh is Type II diabetic - he checks his blood on a monitor 4x a day. Obsessive? Nope - alive.

I want to know how EVERYTHING I eat and everything I do affects my weight. That's the only way it won't creep back up on me.

I need to know what impacts me, as soon as it impacts me. Not sorting through the 100 things I did and ate all week to try and figure out what went wrong long after the fact.

I'm not making this my recommendation, it's just what I do.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 19:17

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Weigh-ins

I started changing the way I eat back in February/March. That's when I began to weigh myself on my mum's scale every week and a half. Hardly ever weighed myself before that.

Finally bought my own scale in late August.

Since then, I weigh-in twice a day. First thing in AM right after potty. And again last thing at night right after potty.

I have found it very helpful to track my weight on a daily basis because I can see a downward trend, albeit very slowly, as the months go by. I see how some foods (particularly "cheat" carbohydrates) affect me and I can also see how my monthly cycles affect what the scale says.

I think it's important to me to see what the scale says because for me it has been a very slow process (27.5 lbs in nine months) and at present my inches lost are minute as well. I like to see that I am "holding" while it comes off at a snail's pace.

I think when I finally hit my goal (which for me is 110 lbs or being able to fit into my old clothes--whichever comes first) weighing on a daily basis will help me decide what I can add back into my menu of foods w/o making me gain back all the fat I've lost.

Should say though, that because I am noticing how certain foods affect how I feel (moods, health, etc) that will determine what I will be able to add back into my menu for variety and spice (I.e. would like to have the occasional brown rice, speghetti and corn on the cob).
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 11:15

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 230/150/150
BF:
Progress:
Default WEIGHINS

I TOO WEIGH IN ALOT..I NEED TO KNOW ALSO HOW CERTAIN THINGS EFFECTS MY WEIGHT. I HAVE WORKED REALLY HARD TO GET WHERE I AM..AND I DONT WANT TO HAVE IT START CREEPING BACK ON WITHOUT MY KNOWING..AND IF I ALLOW IT TO..THEN..IT WILL BE MY FAULT.

EVERYONE HAS TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THEM..AND WEIGHING IN ALOT REASSURES ME..THAT I AM NOT THAT HEAVY PERSON ANYMORE..

I EVEN ASKED SANTA FOR A NEW SCALE. HAHAHA
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 11:47
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy Obsession

I started weighing myself every few days then it became every day and then it became 2-3 times a day. I stopped for a week and started weighing myself only on Saturday.. I didn't want to think about my weight all week. It has made me less frantic that is for sure!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 12:54

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default the scale

sbsjr -
i must agree with you. i'm thinking of ditching the scale. it never makes me happy. even if it said 5 lbs. less, i'd look in the mirror and find something wrong with me. i weighed myself for the beginning of the low carb project, version 2, but will not until the project is over.
the scale has never been my friend, and i doubt it ever will be. i refuse to let an inanimate object rule my day.
just my 2 cents, and how i make it through my day.
brenda
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 15:09

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Like Sponge, I like to keep track, because not weighing for me was when I began to put pounds back on - almost as if my subconscious was driving me to eat the wrong things because I wouldn't pay for it later by seeing my weight.

I tend to do a CAD-style weight. I weigh every morning, write down the weights, and then average them at the end of every week. People's weight fluctuates sometimes from day to day, but not as much from week to week if you average. I weigh in the morning, just after showering but before eating.

Sh'ra
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 15:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I wish I had weighed myself before I started low-carbing altho I have a really good idea it was WAY TOO MUCH..lol once I did weigh myself when I knew this WOL was working for me, I then weighed myself every day. For the past couple months tho I only weigh myself 2X a week. I know what to eat so at this point I dont expect to deviate too much. I do know that if at one point I was up 5 pounds I would do like Dr. Atkins says and head to induction for at least a week.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 18:52

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Sh'ra - the averaging idea is an EXCELLENT one - often weight loss is so slow, it seems almost imperceptable. Averaging helps us recognize the slow weight loss isn't NO weight loss

Here's another GREAT idea that I started this morning.

My dh switched our electronic scale over to kilograms.

Well, I'm 65.4 kg tonight. Sure sounds low doesn't it ??? LOL !

What a scream. If it wasn't for my height I could be a jockey.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 08:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/230/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Must say that I too use the scale. I only weight in 1-2 times a week though. Because of weight fluctuation daily I think I would tend to get a little frustrated if I weighed in excessively. Just my opinion
Whatever works for an individual is what you have to go for. sabrina
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 09:01

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

First 3 months I wieghed 2 or 3 times a day. Every morning I got on the scale and then recorded my weight in a spreadsheet. After 3 months of downward trends I relaxed a bit and now weigh every couple of days to make sure that scale isn't sneaking a few pounds in the up direction.

#12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 17:33

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 60/61/56
BF:
Progress:
Default weighing is not enough you should know how much of it is fat!

I have always been a dieter and lost quite a bit but it likes to come back. I went on a low carb diet six months ago and on scales I have put on but I exercise everyday and should build some muscle too. The answer were the body composition scales. In fact my fat went down by 3 kilos in the last 3 months and my water + muscle incresed. I have opened a business then doing measurment for my clients. That's the only way to know if the diet works.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 17:49

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Once every morning at the same time I get on the scale......gives me incentive not to swindle. I also take measurements once a month too.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 18:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: weighing is not enough you should know how much of it is fat!

Quote:
Originally posted by luxtown
I have always been a dieter and lost quite a bit but it likes to come back. I went on a low carb diet six months ago and on scales I have put on but I exercise everyday and should build some muscle too. The answer were the body composition scales. In fact my fat went down by 3 kilos in the last 3 months and my water + muscle incresed. I have opened a business then doing measurment for my clients. That's the only way to know if the diet works.
hello luxtown, and welcome to our support forum.

I've removed the "Have a look at my site" and the web address from your post. Members who may be interested to visit your service for a fee webpage may do so by clicking on the www home icon, which is at the bottom of all your posts. As well, the link is in your member profile.

Congrats on your weight and fat loss so far. I'm only somewhat familiar with the Montignac program. How does it compare to an extremely restricted carb plan such as Atkins?

I look forward to reading more about your low carb success.

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 20:13

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

When I began Low Carbing, I wouldn't weigh myself until a week had passed, now, I weigh more often, but we still don't have a decent scale in the house, and I agree with LC sponge, not weighing is how I got here in the first place. But, I only lost one pound this week and I was SO disappointed. I guess I had gotten spoiled. so weighing, I guess can have unexpected consequences. We start to expect more than we should. If I were on Weight Watchers and lost a pound, I 'd be thrilled. Now, I'm thinking, was it Thanksgiving or the wedding I went to Saturday, and what were the hidden carbs I wasn't aware of.? I guess if I had weighed myself on Friday after Thanksgiving and before the wedding, I'd at least know where I might have gone wrong.
Chris