Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

I was vegetarian during University, and I ate absolute crap! I ate fries alllll the time! Just because someone chooses a healthier lifestyle, doesn't always mean they eat healthy. *blush*

North America is a society that eats crap food instead of healthy whole foods (too much prep, crap food tastes good, etc). We just need to learn to eat the good stuff. Like someone said, even the low-fat phenomenon didn't quite cut it, with high cal muffins, adding sugar and salt for flavour, etc.

A treat is nice every now and then, but every now and then is not every two hours! Try once a day or every two days.

My newest vice-- salty nuts (damn those yummy beasts!)

M
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:33

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?

I'm with Bandito here. I didn't like people looking at my cart when I was 245 lbs and judging me and I don't really appreciate it now either. What I buy and what I eat is really my business, but if checking my cart out keeps others from being bored in line then so be it.

Some of you would have really enjoyed being in line with me at different stores yesterday! At Sam's I bought a giant bag of chips and a large box of cookies (end of year school party for ds) bag of spinach, bag of mixed greens, Atkins crunchers, case of Atkins Advantage bars, and yes cheese - but no meat. Oh my goodness, I must not know how to lc properly! I am going to give lc a bad name! Please feel sorry for me and help me see the light! How could someone buy regular junk food, lc junk food, a few veggies and cheese at the same time!

Please, I mean no harm to anyone, but sometimes the judgemental tone can get to me. Let's support those that want it and leave the rest in peace.

Marie
  #33   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

I do believe that I will be keeping my sometimes silly sense of humor to myself from now on. How a humorous rant regarding corporate America's desire to ply us with junk disguised as "healthy food" because they are loosing money can turn into someone getting their feelings hurt because they think they are being judged by what they put in their grocery cart is beyond me.

I don't believe I ever stated that I was judgeing this lady at all. I just thought a low-carb ham was funny.

And by the way, those that know me will laugh their collective selves to bits - me being judgemental would wind up with me biting my own tail.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:39

Stats: 248/140/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 105%

Hhmm, I have'nt had the nerve to try any of those products yet, but they are EVERYWHERE!! Perhaps she's going for a extreeeeeeemly modified version of some plan.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:59
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Damn, I'm already on too many threads and now I find THIS one!

It seems we ought to make a distinction here. This forum is made up mostly of Atkids and mostly of people trying to lose weight (clearly not all of us, but most). So: we read the books, we try to keep current, we try to practise the WOE.

BUt one of the things that I took from my reading is that the whole damn West is being smothered in sugar and high G.I. foods. If people took away nothing else from the LC movement it should be, 'Dump the Sugar'.

In a ideal world we would all being munching on our pure, 'natural', organic produce and keeping away from the frankenfoods. In the real world we compromise.
Ther are clear benefits to trying to keep the carbs down for most people - so the simplest thing to do is buy the products marked LC.
Doesn't seem a problem to me (except that people are getting ripped off, but that's another argument).
  #36   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyless
The main question here....... was she fat or skinny? If she was skinny I'm running to the store as we speak to load up on low-carb fake food.

Candyless

I know you're joking. Just a thought, though. My friend is as skinny as a rail but shops for her low-carbing husband who, frankly, ISN'T. When HE shops, he's buying HER carby things as well. You just never know...
  #37   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:59

Honestly I was commenting on the products themselves as opposed to who buys them or why.

My cart is often full of stuff for my 10 year old daughter, or my underweight boyfriend.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:16
Registered Member

Stats: 198/147/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have to agree with the 'feeling of being of judged' sentiment expressed by some of the others here. For the most part, this board is nothing but support.

But I have to say, reading this thread and some of the others of late, you guys are making me feel exceptionally guilty for buying low carb ice cream and I love the stuff for a treat now and then. Especially the Bryers Butter Pecan. <laughs>

Most of what I eat too is the meats, cheese, salads, etc. But I do like my low carb treats once in awhile. They come predominantly in the form of the above, low carb salad dressing, marinade, and the keto hot cereal when I think I just can't eat another egg. And, oh, yeah. The Atkins Advantage bars I'm growing partial too as well.

However, reading some of these threads, I'm really not sure I should be doing -any- of that now ever. [edit: not because of being judged so much, but because it's 'bad' for me and will prevent me from further weight loss with hidden carbs, etc. ]
  #39   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:27

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

suzanneM,

Nope, you did not hurt my feelings at all. You have a valid point about people trying to substitute HC crap with LC crap. I too believe people in general eat too much processed foods. I too, am guilty from time to time. And you are absolutly right, these companies are ripping us off.

They very nature of these threads is an open discussion where we can feel free to talk about whatever feelings a thread brings up. That is the beauty of it. For me, it reminded me of being judged when I was heavier, and how it relates to the current topic. I can't stop people from looking into my cart, and I know it is bound to happen. People are human, and they just do this.... To be perfectly honest, I somtimes look in others carts too. I, like everyone else here come here to sort out my thoughts. It is a good thing, and is necessary for the long term success in our WOL.

What I am trying to say is please post about whatever. Who knows, you have just helped someone come to terms with a particular facet of their lives. ((((suzanneM))))
  #40   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:52

Stats: 173/168/135 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

OK. I am that lady!! Splenda has been my buddy. Low carb products out the ying yang. Bars, ice cream, catsup, etc. Without going off on me, talk to me? Just so you don't get too upset with me---I have cheese!!! I think I just switched my bad eating habits that got me in trouble to "lc bad habits". Duhhh. I've been stupid but I can learn...
  #41   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 15:33
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

BTW, I often check out women's shopping baskets, but only to work out if they are single.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 16:02

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?

No hurt feelings here either. Different points of view can help us all. As can be seen from some of the above posts, some are afraid they are being "bad" if they have lc products or doing something wrong.

Everyone is different, but my own experience has been that ANY food can be bad if over done be it cheese, nuts, pork rinds, or lc bars, ice cream etc. Speaking for myself only, I have had very good luck incorporating lc products into my woe. Certainly, all lc items are not created equally and one must read labels as with everything because many companys are trying to cash in on us.

Marie
  #43   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 19:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 185/180/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
And by the way, those that know me will laugh their collective selves to bits - me being judgemental would wind up with me biting my own tail.

And I'd have to march right across the street and start chewing right along side ya kiddo! I have to say this was an amusing thread to have dinner by.........Cheeseburger Salad: romaine, grilled ground beef, shredded CHEESE and lots of mayo on top. YUMMMMMMMMMMM. By the time I hit the grocery store I'm too tired to give a darn about what other people are buying. Kuddos for you for being so blessed observant that late in the day. I can't eat half of the fake stuff anyway. Sugar alcohols send me right to the potty... I'm forced to live a WOL with mostly real foods and damn few treats. Just the way I like it. But to each his own.

I will submit my 2 cents worth on this subject and will surely fall short of Dennis Millers' rantical ability but here goes-

Am I really nieve enough to believe that the companies who sell these products are thinking of MY good health? NOT! Anticipating the next quarters financial results and stock prices gives them more excitement than their next sexual encounter. When I started LCing more than 18 months ago you could barely find a box of Splenda on the grocery shelf, much less anything else. Tangerine Diet Rite soda (already made w/ Splenda) with some heavy whipping cream served over ice was the closest thing to a creamsicle you could get. With these new products the manufacturers are getting richer by the day. Don't get me wrong because I do use some of them occassionally. The carb options teriyaki sauce and steak sauce and splenda for my coffee and iced tea are staples in my cabinet. I also keep a can of shake mix handy for quick protien drinks and whipping up with some cream for a protien pudding. (Hmmm haven't made that for a while. I'm off to the kitchen as soon as I finish this post) Buying a package of almond flour during the holidays in attempts to make a few cookies and small cakes made me feel in more of a holiday spirit. And our lovely SuzanneM just recently gifted me with a package of her lc garlic / herb tortillas. Excellent I might add. The carb smart ice creams are an occasional treat and mosty for my preteen daughter too. Besides, who can afford most of this stuff???!!! Will the increasing availability of lc products be short lived? Is it a passing fad? You betcha. As soon as the majority of the American public finds another WOE that gives better results, companies will discontinue today's products as soon as sales show signs of plumeting. Before that you can believe they will already be looking for more ways to help us empty our wallets of the almighty vanity dollar. Will the Hardee's LC breakfast bowl vanish off the menu within a few months? If so, I'll have to go back to ordering just 2 round eggs and a couple of sausage patties at McD's when I need a quickie breakfast, picking the bread off of Wendy's dollar menu burgers at lunch and having a bit of ricotta, splenda, cinnamon and cream when I need a sweet treat. An how about McDonald's publically declaring they will NOT develope a lc menu???!!!! Brave and dumb. I'll bet the executive who made that decision will not be employed next year.

Biggest price gouging I've observed? $1.19 for 1 container of LC yogurt half the size of the store brand of yogurt that I used to buy at 6 for $1.00. Suz, if you ever see me with that in my cart I hope you smack the crap out of me.

Best Bargain? SPLENDA! No matter what the cost, that stuff just tastes sooooooooo much better than any other AS I've ever had. LC'ing or any other WOE.

Of course, it's just my opinion and may the Grammar & Spell Check God's forgive me~

Last edited by cwfgirl : Thu, May-20-04 at 05:16.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 20:20

I lubs you Ms. Krista.

Next time I see you in the Food Lion, I'm gonna climb in your shopping cart and you can give me a ride around the perimeter of the store. But not the inner aisles.

Honestly I don't have a problem with some things. Like she says, when I first low carbed some time ago there was nothing. You made it all yourself (have you ever tried making steak sauce? DON'T). So I'm *carefully* trying new things for flavouring etc. But I just don't trust some of this stuff... And I don't judge people by something as variable as what's in their shopping carts!

As one of my favourite authers, Jill Conner Brown says, you have to truely get to know someone in order to properly dislike them. Kidding, should replace "dislike" with "judge" but it's not as funny.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 20:22

Stats: 220.0/220/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
BTW, I often check out women's shopping baskets, but only to work out if they are single.

Thanks for the giggle Thats one way to do it tho, itsn't it!