Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 10:15

Plan: suzane somers
Stats: 115/115/105
BF:
Progress:
Default I feel sick to my stomach

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a good day!
I have a little problem... every morning when I wake up, and every time after I eat (all this grease, cheese and meat) I feel revolted- like I might throw up. I don't know if I can handle eating any more eggs, (anystyle), any more cheese, steak, hamburger meat, mayo..... you name it.
I have pretty good will power, and I'm wondering if maybe low-carbing isn't for me and I should switch instead to eating mainly yogurt, fruit, veggies.... But I do have a rapid weght loss goal: Dec 18... Does eating just fruit (but making sure I do get enough other nutrients) give you rapid weight loss?
You see, I've always ate breakfast, but now I'm forced to skip it, becuase the only thing the cafeteria serves that I can eat according to Aitkens is greasy omlette, bacon, or scrambled eggs. I can't eat that!!!! I will be sick!!!
If I am able to eat nuts or something instead, I can maybe stick with Aitkens- but I don't have the new book, and at least in the one I have, nuts aren't allowed for level 1
thanks alot!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/132/125
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hmmm - I don't have any really scientific answers for you. I have the same nausea in the morning and I have been on and off this woe for over a year. I finally quit eating breakfast altogether (I know some people will freak on this one but, hey, don't exactly like vomiting as soon as I walk in the office). SOmetimes I feel hungry enough to have a small snack of say cheese or pork rinds around 10:30 or so but usually I just wait for lunch.

As for the bigger question, I am 100% positive LC is the way to go. For me the carbs are truly like poison. Have you thought about trying salads? You can do different mixes of greens with maybe sunflower seeds or cheese or other veggies, maybe with tuna or chicken. I'm not a big red meat eater myself but do eat it regularly now, only eat mayo if desperate and haven't had an egg in months. I do like pork (I love pork and saurkraut - which is lc) and try to make chicken lots of different ways.

I'll be interested to hear what people have to say. Good luck to ya!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 11:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: I feel sick to my stomach

Quote:
Originally posted by luxy
But I do have a rapid weght loss goal: Dec 18... Does eating just fruit (but making sure I do get enough other nutrients) give you rapid weight loss?

This will be your biggest problem, luxy. Short of cutting off an arm or leg I can pretty safely say with only 10 lbs to lose it's not going to happen. I'm sorry if I sound negative, but its something I think you need to hear.

LCing is not for everyone; no one diet is for everyone. Your profile says you are on Somers and have read her book; you state you're on Atkins. Have you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? If not it's unlikely you're doing the program 100% correctly; which would also be part of your current dilema.

The goal of LC is not rapid weight loss. It is permanent weight loss. If you cannot eat LC now it's highly unlikely you'll be able to do so for the rest of your life. This is not a quick fix; this is forever. Are you sure that 105lbs is a realistic goal for you? At 5'4" 115lbs sounds pretty good. Have you tried finding out your % of bodyfat? This would be a much better gauge than scale weight. Just a few things to think about.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 11:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Frankly, you are not going to get anywhere with low carbing if you don't do it properly, and I know I'm not the first one to say this. It's not a quick weight loss diet. You will have to eat low carb for the rest of your life to maintain weight loss.

Stop eating like this:

Quote:
(all this grease, cheese and meat) I feel revolted- like I might throw up. I don't know if I can handle eating any more eggs, (anystyle), any more cheese, steak, hamburger meat, mayo..... you name it.

Read the new Atkins book or Protein Power, understand how and why it works, then start off again on the right foot. Many things have changed since the '70's.

If you want to eat fruit, go back to Suzanne Sommers plan. It works too, but only if it becomes a life change.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 12:54

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I agree with Karen and Nat on this one.

Low carbin isn't for everyone. However I have yet to eat just greasy foods as you call steak and hamburger.

I think you are missing the fact you can have chicken, duck, turkey, fish, shellfish, seafood in general, pork, etc, where are your veggies at? There are lots of veggies you can have and salads. Who said you had to make a salad with only mayo? There are other things you can use to make salad or veggie toppings of. (Hint: Sour cream, yogurt, dijon mustard, salsa, not all at once though ) Do you use spices and herbs?

If you haven't read Atkin's book, I HIGHLY suggest you do so. It has a lot more food items than the ones you have been making yourself sick with.

Have you tried something like strawberries and heavy cream sweetened with splenda in the morning for breakfast? How about some of the "bread" items from our own recipe bank? I hear the mock danish is pretty tasty.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:04
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Gallbladder

I have a question, Do you still have your Gaulbladder? or is yours having problems. When I had Gaulbladder problems I couldn't eat alot of fat, because my bile was all messed up. After I lost my gaulbladder I still couldn't eat alot of fat. When I started Atkins, at first I had a similiar reaction as you. I think its because I was used to low fat. I increased my fat slowly and now after three months I'm used to it. I think it takes a while to adjust to any diet changes. My two cents
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkinson/or just low carb/low fat
Stats: 220/210/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Talking Answer

Ooh ! Ooh! (waving hand in the air)
I had the same problem! I was green the first whole week!

What I did was I started eating the largest portion of my carbs in the morning with the eggs and cheese. Like an open faced ham/egg/cheese sandwich or such. It uses up a good portion of my carbs, but no more puky feeling!

Give it a try..worked great for me!

#8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 16:55

Plan: Low Carb/VSG
Stats: 347/173/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 118%
Default Hmm...Listen to your body Luxi

.......it's telling you that you don't need to lose 10 lbs......I don't think this board was intended to encourage people with self-esteem disorders, so I won't even GIVE you advice on your diet. You shouldn't be on one in the first place...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 22:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: I feel sick to my stomach

my 2¢
Quote:
Originally posted by luxy
.... But I do have a rapid weght loss goal: Dec 18... Does eating just fruit (but making sure I do get enough other nutrients) give you rapid weight loss?
Yes, you will likely lose some weight by December 18 if you eat just fruits between now and then. Probably a bit will be water weight - the fiber in the fruits will be good for that. Assuming of course, you're actually going to eat whole raw fruits, not juices. It's doubtful that you'll lose any fat .. the high insulin levels that will result from the natural sugars in the fruits will A) prevent fat from being burned and B) encourage any excess sugar to be converted to fat and stored. So, the largest percentage of any weight that you would lose will be from your lean muscle tissue, since a diet consisting of only fruits will be grossly deficient in complete proteins. Popping vitamin and mineral supplements won't prevent you from losing muscles. Eating at least 60g of quality protein every day will prevent muscle loss. So will exercise

I seriously doubt that you need to think about a strict low-carb diet at this point in your life. But if you keep crash dieting, and then gain a little, crash diet and gain a little more ... and so on ... you just might do so in 5 or 10 yrs' time.

You need to decide on a way of eating (woe) that you can live with for the rest of your life. Maybe a higher fat program such as Atkins isn't for you. There are others ... have you looked at Sugar Busters! or The Zone?? Pehraps you're only looking for something temporary, a quick-fix for the December 18 deadline. There's nothing wrong with having a goal, but what happens after that date??

Something to think about for sure.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 23:14

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress: 0%

Luxy, I agree with Doreen's advice that you should explore some of the other LC plans such as The Zone which might be better suited for you and your low-fat food preferences. I also agree that your deadline is a bad idea, because I've learnt the hard way that if you're serious about losing weight and keeping it off then it's going to have to be a life-time commitment.
Curvy, I disagree with the advice you gave Luxy because I don't think anyone has the right to tell another person that they have a self-esteem disorder and shouldn't be dieting. It's a pretty major judgement to make on someone you don't know much about. I don't think assumptions should be made about people that have a smaller amount of weight to lose than others. I, for example, only have 10 pounds to lose and I know that my weight loss might not be taken as seriously as someone who is 100 pounds overweight. However 10 pounds of excess fat on a short person with a small frame is 10 very obvious pounds. I think that it is up to each one of us to get to know our bodies well enough to make an informed decision about our ideal weight - nobody should do it for us.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 06:19

Plan: Low Carb/VSG
Stats: 347/173/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 118%
Default Hmm...I disagree....

Mags,

I understand what you're saying, BUT I REFUSE to give weight loss advice to someone who doesn't need to lose weight. I'm not like the average person...I will not sit here and buy into this politically correct GARBAGE that states that I shouldn't tell another person what's right for him/her. If Luxy had anorexia nervosa or bulimia, would it be right for us to give her advice on how to lose that extra 10 lbs? TRUST ME, I wish I didn't have 100lbs to lose, but I DO.....it's not about me DISCRIMINATING against her by ANY means! This is about HEALTH. It is JUST as unhealthy for her to be TRYING to lose 10 lbs on a 115lb, 5'4" tall body than it is for me to be carrying an extra 100 lbs on my body...and NO, I'm not going to apologize---she has LOW SELF-ESTEEM. I challenge anyone on this board to disagree with me. Anyone at that weight and that height IS NOT OVERWEIGHT. If she feels that she has to lose 10 lbs, it's not for a health reason, it's because she's NOT HAPPY WITH HERSELF.

I wish I could help Luxy, but I can't. Perhaps if we were to band together and educate her, she may realize that she's healthy and fit and doesn't need to lose weight. If she was just following the WOE, it wouldn't be a point of concern--but she wants to lose weight and FAST....

It's PRETTY unfortunate that in a world full of supermodels and actresses that promote unhealthy body image, we have to stoop to the same level of ridiculousness, just because it's "politically correct".
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 06:51

Plan: Atkins/ Modified BFL
Stats: 212/174/23
BF:
Progress: 40%

Luxy,

Best of luck with whichever program you ultimately choose. Perhaps you might also look into The Schwarzbein Principle...it's not fast, but it may be a program you can live with...it's a good read as well!

Curvy...I am also 5'4" yet for me, I look skinny at 150 lbs.....as I have alot of bone and muscle underneath all this fat LOL....but we can't presume to know Luxy's body composition just from a few numbers....believe me at 5'4", it's hard for anyone to believe I weigh, and weighed what I do, because it's very very deceiving from looking at me....and those numbers are scary...I'm short!

If Luxy has been eating garbage...it's likely she doesnt have a toned muscular body and eating low carb will help round out her composition, and yes loose weight. What she may find out however, is what many of us here are learning...weighing a bit more, and being leaner....looks skinnier, than the number on the scale.

So for me, maybe 135 is unrealistic, unhealthy, (my doctor told me under no circumstances does she want me under 150) and could even make me appear as if I have a disorder.that I don't have...maybe luxy will find on her journey that at 110, lean and muscular...she looks phenomenal and is healthy. For me, I'll wait to see how each lb goes, and decide it along the way...

Let's not be too quick to presume.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:30

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default I disagree, Curvy

Quote:
Originally posted by Curvy:
It is JUST as unhealthy for her to be TRYING to lose 10 lbs on a 115lb, 5'4" tall body than it is for me to be carrying an extra 100 lbs on my body

What you said may well be true if you knew for sure that Luxy had a medium or large bone structure. However, if she is small boned then it is concievable that even at 5'4" she might be carrying excess fat on her body.

She hasn't said, so we don't know for sure. So in that case I agree with Mags that we can't make judgements w/o knowing all the facts first.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:34

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Thanks Muse

Curvy,

I also forgot to mention, like Muse did, that actual body composition plays an important role as well, in what we look like at any given "number" on the scale.

And, again, we don't know what Luxy's body comp. is. so, repeating what I've already said, we shouldn't make judgements w/o all the information.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

It is indeed possible to be a thin "fat" person. What I mean is ... even though the scales show a low number, and the silhouette is slim ... a person can still be FLABBY, with a higher than desirable % body fat. What this means of course, is that the lean mass - the muscles - have likely wasted away, and are barely sufficient for good health. Crash diets, semi-starvation diets, ultra lowFAt and low meat diets ... and lack of strength-training exercise will lead to a person being basically a skeleton with a very thin set of muscles, and a higher than necessary ratio of body fat compared to lean.

Perhaps this is luxy's experience?? What is needed then isn't another weight reducing diet, but a body FAT-reducing diet. The prescription is stil the same as I suggested above ... if a person wants to lose fat, they need to build muscle, through increased dietary protein and exercise. And they need to stop eating sugar and refined starch, which only causes insulin to store fat, and prevent it from being burned as fuel. They'll achieve a more toned, firm figure, and yes perhaps a slightly higher number on the scale. But it needs to be a longterm, lifetime commitment ... not a "diet" to go on and off for special occasions.

Doreen
Closed Thread