Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 13:04

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Thanks skymonkey. It is after all just my OPINION that these TV pills are not worth much and may harm.
Thanks for not flaming me for caring .
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 17:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/151/120 Female 5 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 44%

for those 40 and over that have excess abdomonal fat.

seems to be aimed at the babyboomers the group with the most purchasing power in this country right now...just my opinion
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 00:45

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Incidentally, cortisol *can* be moderated by what you eat. Body builders know that a small dose of dextrose (2-3 rolls of Smarties, 15-20 g carbs) and some protein will help control cortisol levels which tend to rise half an hour or so after a strenuous (i.e 'stressful') workout.

Cheers,

Friday
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%

Supplement Facts
Serving size 1 capsule

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Vitamin C (as calcium ascorbate) 100 mg 170%
Calcium (as calcium carbonate, calcium ascorbate) 150 mg 15%
Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate) 050 mg 40%
Cortiplex™ Proprietary Blend
Magnolia Bark extract (Magnolia officinalis) 1.5% honokiol, Beta-Sitoserol, Suntheanine® (as 100% L-Theanine)
155 mg *
Leptiplex™ Proprietary Blend
Green Tea Leaf extract (Camellia sinensis) 50% EGCG, Bitter Orange Peel extract (Citrus aurantium) 5% synephrine
125 mg *
Insutrol™ Proprietary Blend
Banaba Leaf extract (Lagerstroemia speciosa) 1% corosolic acid, Vanadyl Sulfate (providing 5 mcg vanadium)
16.5 mg *

* Daily value not established.

Other ingredientss: gelatin, microcrystalline cellulose, water, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate (vegetable derived).
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/238/160 Female 5"10
BF:
Progress: 24%

Well I bought some Cortislim ....

I figured I am going to give it a go. I had a full physical check-up and had a full check-up with a Naturopath, and after years of having anxiety attacks and high levels of stress, my levels of cortizone in my blood are through the roof. My doctor said this probably is why I've had such a struggle losing weight, even while on Atkins.

So I am going to give it a shot, I will let you know if it helps!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 18:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/190/180 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 90%

so... is the conclusion that cortislim doesn't really work?
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

[QUOTE=sknymonkey]
Quote:
Part of what this product does seems to focus on managing the level of the stress hormone cortisol, which we can't control by what we eat.[/QUOTE

Light to moderate exercise also helps reduce cortisol. I wouldn't trust any suppliment that saturates the media with ads. Just my 2 cents.

...and excessive cardio can actually make it worse, which explains why a lot of middle-aged joggers still keep their "gut".

Resistance exercise, however, can have the opposite effect.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 19:15
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Maybe Im wrong. But I notice now more than ever that anytime I see an add on tv like those it's bogus. I hope who ever blows money on it has good results. But I have tried soo many pills in the past that Im very leary.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down

Crap! It's all crap.. my mother, sister, and I tried it and saw NO results. I am sending it back to get the much promised money back guarantee.... we shall see! Seriously .. tho.. waste of time and money. I felt nothing, saw nothing, lost nothing.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 17:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharann
I copied this from a similar above post:

PLEASE LISTEN TO ME: If their product worked, REALLY had ANY value, it would not be sold on TV. It would be bought by a giant pharmaceutical company and sold by prescription for ghastly inflated prices! This "Dr Cynammon" guy is selling this for his "associate". Lord, they have been in respected journals he claims, such as Ladies Home Journal...WOW, real hard core scientific journal there.
Porcellino, you pegged it with the expression "snake oil"salesman. If one truly has a cortisol abundance, they NEED medical intervention as this is life threatning (as can be deficiencies of cortisol).
Low carb, exercise and water is the best "pill". I am saying this because I care and get angry at these a-hol=s who wanna make a quick buck with a slick ad. Save your money for those steak dinners!!!

I'm reasonably certain this same guy was selling an "all natural hair restorer" (Kevis or some such) a year or so back. Sounds like a professional huckster.

I absolutely HATE how every talk show host at KFI is selling crap like this now.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down
Default cortisol-- metformin

I have never bought anything from an informercial before, but it made sense.. i have been under a tremendous amount of stress, and even though I was eating 'well' (tho not low carb at the time) and working out five times a week (and I mean treadmill, weights, and rowing machine, not lollygagging around the block) the scale was NOT budging. I thought if I could lower my cortisol levels maybe my system could get back on track. However, I quickly learned it was crap.
Now I am on metformin and a low-carb lifestyle.. and I am actually seeing results... four measly, BEAUTIFUL pounds so far...
  #27   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:04

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

My step mother said this stuff worked great to help calm her. She had been very stressed, runs her own business and said after a month of this, she felt very calm and serene!

Sounded good to me! If nothing else I could use some calm in my life! Well hate to tell you this stuff did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me! I have not lost any more weight than normal and I sure don't feel calm or serene!

Oh another weird thing, when step mom called to reorder, they told her this stuff worked great with low carb diets!

I say pure snake oil
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: under development
Stats: 278/???/160 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm thinking, "placebo effect."

The guy says he's a doctor, it's gonna work, you believe enough to buy it...

But I find myself wondering, 'doctor of what? advertizing?'

If you've seen the infomercials, depending on the angle of the camera shot, he looks a bit plump, to me!

Dianne
who'll stick to valerium, calcium and magnesium before bed to deal with stress... and boy do I have it!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 17:57
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Yes, everything they say about cortisol is true. This is how they sell their crap. They spew a bunch of science which is all very true and then make you think they have something that will work for it. And the kicker in this instance is they charge a whole bunch of money for it to make you think, WOW, if it cost that much it MUST really work. And it is no better ( not as good as some) than anything else on the market at much cheaper prices. What a marketing scheme.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 13:29

Plan: Hospital Diet Plan
Stats: 375/302/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Cortislim

I started taking Cortislim a month ago. I have not seen any weight loss. I have lost a couple inches around the waist (which I have plenty to go around). I have been stressed out for a variety of reasons and have noticed a calming effect from the Corislim. I am giving Cortislim another month and if I see no further results I will be exercising their money back option. I believe I hear a thunder of laughter out there...money back? I have read some horror stories, but I will give it a go. Bottom line is what you eat and exercise. I am on a hospital version of a low carb diet. It is more a low everything diet. I have to balance carbs, protein, and no salt. I am trying Cortislim because of stress. I have since found out the key stress ingedient is Magnolia Bark. You can buy Magnolia Bark for ten bucks a bottle verses fifty bucks for Cortislim. If you are not stressed out, stick to your diet and save your money.