Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 03:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230.5/228.5/130
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default Here I Go Again

Well I've been on the Atkins diet a few times before and i know it works and i feel really good when im on it. my prob is I CRAVE SUGAR!!!!!! Does any one have any help for this horrable problem?
I weigh 229 and am 5' 4". Please tell me i can do this and that u will be there to support me thru cause my husband and kids couldn't careless about the atikins diet and will not support me at all in this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 05:06

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Rosie and welcome!

Yes - Atkins works.

Yes - it's really tough (but not impossible) to do without close family support. Start a journal here in the journal section and we will all stick close to you and help you out. If you have questions or run into problems there are lots of wise-old-owls here to support you.

Yes - it's about getting over a sugar addiction. That's what induction is for. That's why we can't have even a little bit of sugar, if a little bit will set us off on a binge. The 2 weeks detox period gets us past the physical craving and then it's up to our own determination to not invite them back! This part of the plan is a personal committment and not one we can help you with.

If you are ready! So are we!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 06:16

BF:
Smile Thanks so much

L C thank you for responding so quickly to my message. The statement wise old owls really gave me a fleeting sence of hope and relief that i won't always be fat and unhealthy. I need you wise old owls I really do. Please be here always so you can bouy ( can't spell) me up and in some instances drag me along. I feel like a drug addict asking for help to kick the habit and in a sence that is what I have to do is kick the sugar/high carb habit.
Please, please guys talk to me every day. I will be chaecking for your messages. Thank you so much for your help in advance. )

not sure how to use the smiley face icons.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 12:21

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hi Rosie

LC Sponge and I are living proof that low-carbing really works. { there are many others too} My family are supportive enough I suppose but I often end up cooking 2 seperate meals. I was a huge sugar addict but now I could care less if I have it...just give me a steak or rack of ribs..lol. Thias will be a great place for support for U. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:17

BF:
Default Thanks Gwilson

I started out today with great asperations. I had a grilled chicken breast for breakfast then left to take the kids to school and shop. well when I was fisnished shopping I thought of my daughter at home ( who is getting married Feb 2nd 2002). So I went to the bank and took out $20.00 and went to Taco Bell and Burger King for onion rings and fries. If that wasn't bad enough after I ate a king sized onion ring order and most of a large fry and a grilled stuffed chicken burrito (minus the beans and rice with extra chicken), then I piled a plate with 2 different kinds of home made fudge and headed down stairs to work. Well I've eaten half of the fudge. I keep telling my self I won't have any thing for dinner but meat.
WHAT CAN I DO??? I LOVE SUGAR!!!!!!! BUT IT HAS'T TO BE IN SOMETHING GOOD. Like chocolate.
I am a slave to my own cravings. Tell me what to do!!!!

I almost wish I could afford to go to a fat farm where they cook all your food and you have no access to any thing but what they give you.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 14:08

BF:
Default huggggsss rosie

Im sorry honey...I imagine U feel real guilty right about now. Virtually all of us cheat. The trick is to not let the guilt over whelm U and to get back on track. I had sugar cravings for about my 1st week. After that it for awhile I wasnt craving sweets but old habits die hard. I cant tell U what to do---what absolutely worked for me when not be quite what U need. I can tell U that if U stay on the induction phase for a week the 2nd week is much easier. Try to set mini goals..thats the best way. Of course with the holidays are upon us, the next month wont be easy for anyone. Also are U taking chromium? It will help with the sugar cravings. And drink lots and lots of water it helps too. Just remember no matter what.....we are here for U when U need support.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 14:09

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

induction is pretty much just that. it's boot camp.
my suggestions to you is to either start a journal here, or a written one at home. explore your emotional eating and how you can make better decisions.
nuts are a better alternative to what you had at taco bell & bk. keep them around.
keep posting!!!
we have all been through some type of "fall".
set a short term goal, even if it's just for one day, with a reward the next day. sometimes, you won't even use the reward because you will be so proud of yourself.
what are you doing with fudge in the house?
get rid of temptations.
please try not to get too down on yourself. eat a very healthy dinner of meat and VEGGIES in butter.
read the journals posted here. they are truly a source of inspiration.
hth.
brenda
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 14:10

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default I Hear your pain!

Hey Rosie, you had a set back. It's not the end of the world. We've all had many. Get back on the horse and try again.
There are many other 12 step programs for different addictions...the difference is that we have to eat everyday. I know I am powerless over sugar and white flour, it makes my insulin go crazy. The best defense is planning...you have to eat but if you can get the carbs out of your system long enough to detox you won't have the food crazies anymore.
Plan ahead, clear your path, eat before you leave the house. Get up early enough to make your self a generous breakfast; bacon, eggs or an omelet. Have legal snacks with you at all times so you can out talk yourself from a cave-in. Don't answer that call to the drive through you can do it! You are worth it! You know you can! Our thoughts are with you.

Bsayne about your food choices they are your lifesource!

Last edited by bsayne : Wed, Nov-28-01 at 14:16.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 14:19

BF:
Default good point bsayne

I never thought of that until now...about a 12 step program. If U are an alcoholic U give up drinking for good. If U are a gambler U have to quit that for good. The problem for us is we HAVE to eat. So its much harder to face temptations.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 14:52

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Hi Gwilson

Imagine if you told an alcoholic he/she could only have 3 shots a day! Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner!

The gambler could place 3 bets!

It would be pandamonium! No wonder we have slips!

Take care, and Hugs to all who succumb. Just forgive yourself and try again!

Bsayne