Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Talking tony little gazelle

i am losing wt on the atkins diet. i have lost 31 lbs right now. i have 32 more lbs to lose. i need to put some exercise into the plan. I had a hernia operation and they do not want me to exercise until this is healed. i am not alowed to do any stomach exercies for a very long time. i thought the gazelle would be good for me. i also thought about the ab scissors is i can get my doctor to prove of it. the ab scisors you are using your arms more than anything. but this exercie might give me a push forward to know i can lose some more wt and gain muscle . and go down in clothing sizes. sue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 12:38

BF:
Progress:

i forgot to ask - do any of use use the gazelle and the ab sicssors by body by jake? and what do you think of them? have they helped you alot? sue
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 14:22

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I have a gazelle, the original one. I like it for cardio, its not rough on the joints and I sweat more using it for 25 minutes than I did when I was walking for 4 miles (20 min. mile). Its fun to use with good music on.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 20:31

BF:
Progress:

thank you for your response- the one i am looking into is one with the pistens to get more strenth endurencebut i just might get one like the first one. sue
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 176/122/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%/16%/17%
Progress: 106%

I really want one... but i have a hard time watching those commercials... I think they're hysterical (could just be me)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 18:47

BF:
Progress:

well i went to my surgeon's office today to be checked for my hernia operation . i had it done 4-27-04 (the surgery). i am going to go back to work monday afternoon . i go back to the doctors in about 3 weeks and he will tell me then if i can start working out . i am going to buy a gazelle whenn i am able to use it. i am right now just waiting to make sure i am healed enough. after i am healed I am also wanting to going a womens exercise gym!i have a new one opening up 2 miles down my road from me and i am wanting to work out 3 times a week for about 30 minutes. sue
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 21:55
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hiya Missy,

I have the gazelle with the pistons.....I don't use the pistons for the entire work out as it is harder than without them. If you do decide to buy....I'd go without using the pistons until you are completely healed. I have been using mine for around 3 weeks now and find that I work up a really good sweat using it for 30 to 45 minutes. I only weigh and measure once a month so I can't tell you what it's done for me in that sense, but I sure feel great after using it and my clothes are definately looser in the thigh and butt area.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 11:19

BF:
Progress:

thank you for all of your replys to this posting. sue- i am still trying to wait before i buy on untill i am healed that way i will not have to back into another hernia surgery. i will find out june 8 if my doctor willl give me the okay on it. sue
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 17:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Spend those weeks walking-take a 20min walking break -ten minutes out and ten back twice a day if you can fit it in.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 13:12

BF:
Progress:

well i am still thinking about getting one but i do not have to the money right now to buy one. i am trying to walk and come up with my own exercise rutine to save money. sue
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 22:30

BF:
Progress:

well i never got around to buying one of these. i thought i might find it in a yard sale. sue
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 168.5/157.5/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 33%

MissyMagoo, I've had a Gazelle for about 3 years, and I've put lots of miles on it (back when I was working out - here we go again!). It gives a great cardio workout, and it does help the arms & legs overall - although not in the major muscles, unfortunately.

I don't know that I'd recommend it long-term. It depends heavily on the hip flexors, and after awhile (several weeks) my hips joints had major pain. I know it was from my Gazelle workouts, because that's what would aggravate the pain, and it continued for the entire time I used it regularly. I finally quit using it, and after a couple of months, the pain went away.

I still use the Gazelle periodically, but not for more than 20 minutes, and not as my main source of cardio. When I over use it, the pain in my hips comes back. Too bad - it IS fun!

Last edited by Pandora. : Fri, Nov-02-07 at 17:36. Reason: clarify post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-07, 20:54

Stats: 335/245/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I bought a used instride machine which is like a gazelle and I love it. I use it every day for a min. of 10 minutes. I paid $5.00 for it and wouldn't sell it for $100.00. I have had multiple knee surgeries and it doesn't hurt me at all. I also have an eliptical machine that I like and in the store it didn't hurt my knee but it does now if I use it for more than 3 minutes so I will be selling it soon(hopefully!) I suggest finding one used and see if you like it or not but do give it some time to try it out. Mine has to have the bearings greased once in awhile but that isn't any big thing to me.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-07, 08:57

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I think they are a bad piece of equipment.

You will sweat but it all involves using momentum, which is really is never good when it comes to excercising
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 02:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/176/135 Female 5ft.7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I have a "health walker", which is like the gazelle only bulkier. I've got a terrible knee, but it doesn't irritate it, so I love it.