Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 18:32
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Hi, A Re-Introduction

Hello There:

My name is Melissa and I am discouraged and depressed and generally feel like a loser. Please let me explain...

In January 2003 I came here with all kinds of hopes and aspirations. My DH and I started Atkins and we did well. It was frustrating for me at times because he lost so much more rapidly than I did but I understood that his metabolism was different than mine and he was much more active. I lost 40lbs by August - that's a big deal for me. Plus it was nice to do it with someone who was encouraging and a partner at the same time (I adore my DH).

But, I started slipping...and slipping...(eating carbs without my DH knowing)and then we moved from San Diego to Virginia and we decided it would be too hard to keep up low-carb on the road and too expensive (it took everything we had in the bank to move - excuse maybe - I dont know).

So, here it is May 2004 and I've gained it ALL back. I've been on induction for two weeks and I lost 8 lbs but gained back 5. (Last time on induction I lost 12).

I think I have been eating too many carbs and not enough calories...I don't understand why I am sabotaging myself like this...I have also bought some frankenfoods that you will see in my fitday chart http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...l?Owner=Alleine

Honestly I am not too sure why I am telling you all of this. I can usually tell my DH everything but he's heard all of this before and says I will get through it. Yeah...I've gotten through being on a diet since I was 12. Why should this be any different right?

Thanks for letting me vent
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 19:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Maybe it's the problem of looking at it as another diet that's getting you down? You know you can do it, you've done it before! The trick will be finding a way to help shift your perception away from your past disappointments.

It's my obligation as "Our Lady of Dr Phil" to suggest you check out the link in my signature and consider checking out the "ultimate Weight Solution" book. It's helped keep me from completely undoing myself during some very trying times, when I would have ordinarily given up on myself.

I'm in the process of trying to re-start induction (I'm choosing to stay lower-carb than in the Dr P book) and go over the ways I've talked myself into believing I'll never lose the rest of this weight, and trying to fix things I've let slide, like too many lc "treats" and adding too much lc bread and things my body just isn't ready for.

If I can do it, ANYONE can! You have it in you this time, and you can succeed!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 20:18
Registered Member

Stats: 290/235/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Melissa,

I am going through the same thing as you are. I have lost and gained twice now, neither time with Atkins but nonetheless, I can relate. I know how disgusted with yourself you are. For me, it was like I lost control or something and tried to just block it out. My husband is very fit, ex military and isn't always as supportive as I would like him to be but with weight loss comes enpowerment. Try not to dwell on the fact that you gained weight like potato said. You already know that you can do this.
I have been losing quite rapidly so far. I started Atkins on April 23, 2004 and have lost 21 pounds as of yesterday. Maybe lower your carb intake and up your fats. Are you exercising too? I don't do enough probably but have been trying to daily. Hang in there! Don't ever feel like you are alone.

You know what inspires me? I come here and see others...some weigh more than me and I read and I look at their pictures and what I have to lose doesn't seem so impossible.

jillinmo
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 07:52
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

Melissa~
We don't allow alot of beating ones self up around here! You are here now and that is what is important. You are making a commitment to yourself, your body, your health and your own personal well being. Congratulations on seeing the need and applying yourself to achieving that goal. We are all here for you. Now go get um!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:00

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

well, to be honest, alot of the foods you're eating arent allowed on induction, so, yes- you're probably sabotaging yourself. even tho you're staying within your 20 carbs, you're eating what appears to be a sandwich and a yogurt a day- how can that fill u up or give you energy? no wonder your depressed- poor thing- u need broccoli! i think someone else already said this, but this is not a diet- its a lifestyle. you have to be committed to do this the rest of your life. and u can- and you can be successful.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 18:02

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Welcome back to the forum and the TDC! It takes a lot of courage to come in here and admit our mistakes. You had the courage to post, now use that momemtum to have the courage to eat healthy. As others said, don't think of this as a diet. Think of it as a true lifestyle change. You are really doing this for your health. After all, you are allergic to carbs, right? That's really how I think about it... a medical condition has been diagnosed and now I'm on the road to recovery.

Good luck to you!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 21:30

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

Hi Melissa ~

I have found these forums one of the keys to support and success for me and hope you will find the same. I think sometimes too, we need to learn to focus on our own needs and what is inside our heads. Becoming healthy for me has been an emotional and physical journey an it took me some time to get to the point where I was ready to make me the priority. I may just be babbling here =P (I do that a lot, hehe) but hope that you find what you need to make yourself a healthier you!

*hugs*
~ Lori
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 05:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Melissa, I can relate to how you feel although my slide back up has not been as dramatic. I joined in Feb, 2003 and by October had lost more than 60 pounds. Since that time and since discovering sugar free chocolate I've been a yo, yo. On and off induction, up and down on the scales, Today I'm 10 pounds higher than my profile. Let's see if we can do this again together??
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:43
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi Melissa!

I tried low carbing 8 times (yes. Eight.) before I succeeded. I kept coming back here saying, "This time, I'll do it. This time, I mean it."

Looking at your fitday, it looks like you're making a lot of the same choices that I did... I never followed strict induction, I relied on franken foods. In a way, I was setting myself up for failure--because I wasn't changing my mindset. I was just replacing my high carb food with low carb versions... and it didn't do anything for me.

I suggest going strict induction. Drink nothing but water. Eat lots of meat, lots of green fresh veggies, eggs and a moderate amount of cheese. Start when you have a day or two free, so you can eat four or five small meals a day. Every time you feel hungry, or a craving, eat a piece of meat. Have hard boiled eggs ready for snacks.

I learned over two long, painful years that there is no 'half way' with low carb. Half way is really slow failure.

Good luck!