Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/157.5/125 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Frustrated, Please Help!

Hi All,

I am a newbie to Atkins. My mom has had great success so after I had my third baby I decided to give it a try.

During induction, I lost 10 pounds. It was great. I was so excited. That was 6 weeks ago. Since induction, I have lost only 1 pound. 1 pound! I have not really left induction. No nuts, no fruit, no new vegetables. Keeping it under 20 carbs a day. I realised I was not drinking enough so I have increased my water intake dramatically to about 70 ounces a day.

However, I was eating at least one Russell Stover candies a day, sometimes two. After reading the forum, I realised Maltitol can make you stall. Sunday I stopped.

How long until my weight loss starts moving again. I must have a treat so what can I have? I made a whip cream, natural peanut butter and splenda mixture. Very good I might add. Alot like peanut butter pie. Can I eat this on a daily basis? We are not talking a huge amount. 1/2 cup or so. Can I have heavy cream everyday or will that cause a stall or even a possible gain? Can I have splenda treats and only count the net carbs toward my daily 20?

I am so frustrated. I have not moved on the scale or body measurements in 4 weeks. Much more of this and I will go back to eating carbs. I mean if I am not losing I might as well eat the bad stuff, right?

Please help. THanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:35
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Clean Induction for at least 2 weeks girl.

Even if it is lc it can still stall you and for Induction, LC snack are a no-no.

YOU MUST HAVE A TREAT, you said. Is that more important to you then losing weight and being healthy?

Whip cream and PB at that. No you can't have this in Induction.

Look at what your eating.

Revise your menu and your priorities and I'm sure the weight will start to come off again.

I'd re-read the book if I were you!

Good luck!

Last edited by AFwife : Mon, May-17-04 at 08:48.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:50

BF:

Thank you for your reply.

So am I not allowed any treat of any kind? Are any of the "low carb" treats ok? Atkins Endulge, Carb Smart Ice Cream....etc? If so, when? After I reach my desired weight?

Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:56
PuertoRican Princess

BF:

No no honey you shouldn't be having any of that stuff during Induction.

Maybe once you start OWL you can enjoy and occasional bar of lc ice cream but in moderation. Some people don't have a problem with it but your suppose to be learning how to eat better not how to substitue the bad for something lc cause then your still eating the way you use to. Even if it is lc.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:59

BF:

Thank you so so much. I was under the impression that if I kept it under 20 carbs a day, I could eat what I wanted.

Thanks for the encouragement.

PS - I did not think you were rude. I needed a wake up call and you gave it to me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:04
PuertoRican Princess

BF:

Have you read the book honey. Cause it mentions that not all carbs are treated equally.

So just cause it says stay under 20 g's for Induction that doesn't mean you go and eat something not on the allowed list just cause it has 5g's.

Go to www.atkinscenter.com and check out the Induction phase. It'll tell you what you can have.

This really works, but you have to follow it by the book or else there's no sense in even doing this.

If I can do, gosh anyone can.

Hugs!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:04
Sexifying me

Plan: one pound at a time plan
Stats: 242/242/199 Female 5'4
BF:dont want to know
Progress: 0%

I was losing weight at a great rate, and then I discovered the "lc treats" the russell stover candy bars are not only my BIGGEST weakness, but they are so good that I could over indulge and eat MANY if I am not careful I wish that I could go back to the day when sugar free jello with a tiny bit of whipping cream was enough.

I remember when I tried LC ice cream for the first time, it stalled me out, and I have never had it since. You have to find the treats that work for you, but if you are not losing than you might as well give them up.

Try only having SF jello this week when you crave something sweet & see if that makes a difference, also remember to use www.fitday.com as your tool to track what foods that you eat to make sure you are not going over your carb intake

Good luck!!
Hillary
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:10

BF:

Do you think if I have the sugar free jello made with aspartame that it will stall me? I looked for a splenda item but I could not find one.

Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:28
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

I too am a chocoholic...and after the first 3 weeks ( I was straight by the book til then) found the advantage pb/choc bars. I do allow myself to have them now and again...but one bar gets broken into between 2 -4 "treats". I might have 1/3 of a bar with decaf in the morning and it makes me happy. I try to count all the carbs in it though...so If I have 1/3...I count it as 4 carbs (I only deduct the fiber from the total carb count..so, for me, one bar has 11-12 carbs, not the 2 net as advertised). I agree with AFWife and think you need to stay clean for at least 2-3 weeks...and I love this plan...but this little indulgence makes me happy. I only lose an average of about 1 pound a week (lost 12 during induction) and maybe I could lose a bit more each week without them, but I'm rollin' along and this is what works for me mentally. (note: The advantage bars are the only ones that I've found with such high fiber. Others have the same total carbs but a much lower percentage of fiber in them and that matters to me too... I tend to stall badly with any of the others.) Just my opinion.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:36

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Read this about Net carbs
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182859
What is your daily calorie count? Eating too few calories will cause you to stall. Check out BMR.
http://www.ecybex.com/education/cal...s/bmr_calc.html
Calculate your BMR then multiple by your activity level. shoot for 10-15% less than the adjusted rate.
Jag
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: Cudmore
Stats: 342/310/180 Male 68
BF:34
Progress: 20%

It comes down to calories. LC/SF sweets still have lots of calories. Remove them from your daily diet and you will be saving somewhere between 170-200 calories per serving, My downfall was LC ice cream. I could not limit myself to a quarter cup serving thus my small bowl of ice cream amounted to 400-500 calories. I have had success with the SF Jello.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:25

BF:

Is it sugar free jello with aspartame? That is all I can find and I want to make sure it will be ok.

Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:50
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikie
....I am so frustrated. I have not moved on the scale or body measurements in 4 weeks. Much more of this and I will go back to eating carbs. I mean if I am not losing I might as well eat the bad stuff, right?

Hi, I'm so glad you came here for help!
First off, you can make your own sf jello with splenda, using knox unflavoured gelatin, an envelope of unsweetened koolaid and splenda. For my tastes, I used a cup of splenda to 2 packs of gelatin in 4 cups of water. Just use the same directions as regular jello (let me know if you want more specific instructions, that's no problem). You may want to taste it and sweeten it to your liking. Regular sf jello could very well stall you.
Everyone is different, as you'll see around this forum. You've been on Atkins for 6 weeks, and Lily's advice is very good for induction. Are you still wanting to do induction or are you looking to add in new foods and move into owl? I did a clean induction for the first 4 weeks, then started to add in other things. You should go back to clean induction eating, and if you are wanting to try putting in new foods, then add them in one at a time so that if something is stalling you, you can figure out what it is exactly. Keeping a fitday journal is a great idea too, because there are people on this forum who can look at your fitday and give great advice based on that information.
Now, as to your quote above... I have to tell you I would answer a resounding "NO!" to the question. The 10 pounds you lost would return, and I'm sure you already know that when you lose some pounds, they go out and make friends, which they will bring back with them if you let them come home. Also, is that weight loss truly the only benefit you've found? Are you enjoying any other positives? For me, I've tried very hard to keep the weight loss as the strawberry on top of this woe. I'm healthier, my test results from the doctor have proven it. I have WAY more energy, especially since I've started working out in the last few weeks. Most importantly for me.... well second to my health anyway.... I'M IN CONTROL. I don't have to feel like a weak, spineless, fat woman anymore. I decide what I eat, and I'm loving that feeling more than the pounds & inches gone. My weight loss in terms of pounds has been VERY slow, but I wouldn't give up this woe, because it's about more than that.
If you've read DANDR, then you should know that this is a lifestyle, it's forever. If you are prepared to accept that, then slow weight loss shouldn't discourage you so much that you are prepared to give up this WOE. If you haven't accepted it, you should know that if you get to goal and start eating a carb heavy diet again, you will gain it back.
Best of luck to you!

Jenn
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:50

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

SF jello should be fine.
Jag
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:58

Plan: stress & low carb
Stats: 298/242/175 Female 5' 7
BF:WAY/ TOO/ MUCH
Progress: 46%

Best advice i have is KEEP IT SIMPLE. chicken, steak, eggs, cheese, salad (but caution w/ dressings)...Things of that nature. I now notice there are so many things that say LC, but i dont eat 'em, i stick to my salads, and chicken and STEAKS yummmm

Good luck