Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 22:55

Plan: Atkins/Low-Carb Counting
Stats: 286/247/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default KFC - Oven Roasted Chicken?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this board. Second time on the Atkins diet. I lost over 60 pounds the first time and am trying to take it all off plus a few extra pounds again this time.

This seems like a great forum!

Anyway, I just had the new Oven Roasted Chicken Strips from KFC. They were very tender . . . in fact, they were too tender and there was a strange, but familiar after-taste.

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I think that I was eating deep-fried chicken. The texture and the taste were very similar to chicken or turkey that has been put in a deep fat fryer.

Do you know if this chicken is really oven baked? I heard that the chicken is cooked in the ovens they use for biscuits and I am betting it is only put in the oven for a few minutes to warm up, but the real cooking is done in a deep fat fryer.

Any inside scoop if this is the case? Deep fried food is definetly NOT low-carb . . . I can't find any dietary information on this product. Does anyone have the carb count for this chicken or know if it is partially cooked prior to arriving at the fast food outlet?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 03:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default It is not a diet.

Quote:
This is my first post on this board. Second time on the Atkins diet. I lost over 60 pounds the first time and am trying to take it all off plus a few extra pounds again this time.

Many think Atkins is not "diet." Many think it is a way of eating and not something you can go on an off.

Plus, second time around is harder. Read the link.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 04:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%

The oven roasted KFC chicken is breaded. KFC is hyping this new meal as lower fat and calorie, not low carb. Here is some nutritional info:

Comparing old, new
Here's how KFC's new roasted product stacks up nutritionally with a comparable item on its existing menu:

Oven-roasted strips meal

consists of three roasted chicken strips, green beans and rice:

420 calories

7 grams fat

90 milligrams cholesterol

2,410 milligrams sodium

50 grams carbohydrates

Crispy strips meal consists of three strips, two side dishes (green beans and mashed potatoes with gravy in this example) and a biscuit:

760 calories

40 grams fat

81.5 milligrams cholesterol

2,670 milligrams sodium

63 grams carbohydrates
Source: KFC

Linda
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 04:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Think infused All fast food chicken is infused with a solution of salt,sugar and herbs up to 5% of weight.

Deep fried on Atkins is not as evil as you make it out to be-right?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 07:55

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Actually, frying isn't the problem. It's the breading. And by the nutritional statement, I would assume there was breading on the chicken. So my question is, was there? I don't eat at KFC, so I wouldn't know by your description.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/223/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default to pacNW

What you wrote could be quite discouraging for people who have been on and then fell off and then went back on the Atkin's eating plan. I have fallen off more than once, but I haven't given up on myself. Whenever I go back on, I still feel better and I lose weight just like the first time.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 16:27

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I wouldn't be so quick to endorse frying. It's not just the breading. They is suspicion that high temperature cooking, such as frying, created cancer cause agents in your food. Furthermore, it's a pretty sure bet that anything fried in a restaurant, especially a fast-food one, will be fried in hydrogenated fat, which is a PROVEn health hazard.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 22:42

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
I wouldn't be so quick to endorse frying. It's not just the breading. They is suspicion that high temperature cooking, such as frying, created cancer cause agents in your food. Furthermore, it's a pretty sure bet that anything fried in a restaurant, especially a fast-food one, will be fried in hydrogenated fat, which is a PROVEn health hazard.

Exactly, most restraunts fry in Hydrogenated Oils, which are VERY bad for you. They raise LDL [The Most Damaging Subtype in Fact,] Triglycerides, and your risk of Diabetes, lower HDL, and take the place of EFAs (Linoleic and Linolenic Acids) in your body, causing even more problems. I was reading one of my mom's old magazines from CSPI [the anti-fat/anti-saturated fat/anti-anything that tastes good food police] and they were comparing food from various restraunts. They of course consider Trans and Saturated fats to both be bad, but the information was somewhat usefull.

Many of the fried foods were EXTREMELLY HIGH in Trans-Fat. I think Red Lobster's Admiral's Feast [Fried Seafood, 2 Cheddar Bay Biscuits, Fries, etc...] was the highest at something like 22 grams of Trans-Fat. Of course, they bitched even worse about the 40-something, 50-something, or maybe even more grams of Saturated Fat. They mentioned in one article that Outback Steakhouse fries in a Beef Tallow Blend. Of course, that really got them going because Saturated Animal Fats are the most evil foodstuff in the world in their minds. But, Beef Tallow Blend does not necessarily mean Trans-Fat Free. It might well be blended with Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, and in fact, some folks have even begun Hydrogenating Saturated Fats [Coconut, Palm, and Palm Kernel Oils, Lard, and even Beef Tallow are sometimes Hydrogenated now.] They mentioned its high "Bad Fat"/"Artery Sludge" content, but didn't distinguish between Natural Saturated Fats and Unnatural Hydrogenated Fats...so, there's no way to know if the Outback Beef Tallow Blend contains Hydrogenated Oils or not. They also failed to differentiate between Natural and Perfectly Safe (Conjugated Linoleic Acid or CLA, the kind which naturally occurs in small amounts in Animal Fats) Trans-Fat and Unnatural/Unsafe (Hydrogenated Oils, the kind used for Deep Frying and Baking nowadays) Trans-Fats.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 23:03

Stats: 265/217/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi there,

I sympathize...I did the same thing - lost 150 lbs, then promptly put back on 60 lbs....This is now my second time around and I'm more determined than ever to get it back off and keep it off....

If you've been on it before - I'm sure you'll find once you get back in the swing of things how much better you'll feel, and how easy it is to get back into it....

I agree that the KFC chicken is not low carb...It turly is the breading, not the frying that counts.

Best of luck in this go - around.....I began my journal a few days ago - it helps...You should start one.

Jacque - in WA
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 05:55
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

This was posted in the Atkins section by someone who checked these out. She said she ate them and thought it was coated with some type of flour.

Here are the ingredients... yuck!

Quote:
Fresh chicken breast strips containing up to 43% (based on raw weight of chicken) of a solution of water, seasoning (soy protein concentrate, salt, rice starch, carrageenan, dextrose, onion powder, dehydrated chicken broth, maltodextrin, spice extractive), sodium phosphate.

Seasoned with: Wheat flour, partially hydrogenated cottonseed & soybean oil, maltodextrin, dextrose, salt, butter (cream, salt), spices, onion powder, garlic powder, citric acid, paprika, chicken flavor(from chicken skin), yeast extract, calcium silicate (as anti-caking agent), potato maltodextrin, chicken fat, nonfat milk solids, natural flavor, chicken meat, caramel color, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, extractives of turmeric, & spice extractives.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=184288&
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 20:43

Plan: Atkins/Low-Carb Counting
Stats: 286/247/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default I guess less than 1% negativity isn't all bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW
Many think Atkins is not "diet." Many think it is a way of eating and not something you can go on an off.

Plus, second time around is harder. Read the link.

207 positive replies and only one reply that sucked!

#12   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 21:25
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I keep hoping that SOMEONE who has even a bare clue about what low carbing is all about will post a response in this thread. But I've got other worries at the moment and am not about to try to educate all these folks.....

I've never seen a more confused thread in the more than 18 months I have been a member here.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 17:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
I keep hoping that SOMEONE who has even a bare clue about what low carbing is all about will post a response in this thread. But I've got other worries at the moment and am not about to try to educate all these folks.....

I've never seen a more confused thread in the more than 18 months I have been a member here.

Well several folks have tried to give reasons that fastfood KFC is not a healthy choice-and to rebuke the deep frying as the main culprit. The temperture and type of fat used is a valid concern >Trans-fats are discourgaged by Atkins and other Low-carb systems. The infusions used to tenderize the chicken has sugars and a carb count that should be considered and someone looked up the nutrional info to show that it is breaded and should be avoided.

Several people picked up on the fact that he had been on Atkins before and was returning and tried to welcome him back and encourage him. I'm not confused I hope the original poster is not and will use this great site to help encourage and enlighten himself on the low carb lifestyle.