Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/188/130 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Saturday Night Vodka?

I'm beginning to think I drink too much because I am going to miss my Saturday night pre-dinner drink. I am giving up the wine with dinner, but if vodka has no carbs and I always drink it with soda (no lime anymore) can't I have one? I have enough calories according to fitday. I am on day 6 of induction. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:24
Registered Member

Stats: 175/175/130 Female 5'4''
BF:me/don't/know
Progress: 0%
Wink I soooooo feel you on the alcohol issue...

I've written so much about this people are probably going to think I'm an alcoholic. Oh well.
I am a serious wine drinker which has been the hardest part of starting this program. I'm also on day six of induction and have somehow managed not to have a glass all week.
From what I understand the problem with alcohol is that it 1) can cause other cravings (not for me) and 2) body burns it before fat/may slow weight loss.
But this is true at any stage of the LC WOE - so my question that has yet to be answered (or discovered) is what is it about induction that makes alcohol such a ?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 14:14
Registered Member

Stats: 238/228/130 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am a teenager and find it hard not to drink when I go out.....I have a couple of vodkas with diet coke on the weekends and it doesnt seem to stall me however when I went to my may ball and had quite a few the next day my stomach did not appreciate it...lol...my advice..If you can... only have a couple and the next day and inbetween drink los and lots of water to rehydrate...It shouldnt stall you but if you do stall try cutting down and see if this helps... Good luck...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 20:05
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

Induction is your time to clean your system out...go through carb withdrawal, learn your routines, etc.
Alcohol can:
1)cause cravings...
2)lower your resistance to foods you are ALREADY craving if you haven't (in induction) gotten to the stage where those cravings die down
3)cause the scale to slow down because the alcohol will be utilized before anything else in your body (a slow or stopped scale is not a friend to those who need motivation and are trying to feel good about a new weightloss attempt (lifestyle).

The no alcohol on induction rule is very simply trying to help people get past the initial introduction/ adjustment period without sabotaging themselves (either psychologically or physiologically) inadvertantly by drinking.