Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 00:53

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Coke bottlers cause not-so-hidden price increase

Don't know how widespread this is, but recently the local Coke bottler has eliminated ALL 2.0 liter containers in favor of an alternate container that more resembles the "classic" look of the old glass Coke bottles of days of yore. Some of the smaller sizes of Coke already comes in a bottle this shape, but generally this only applied to Coke and Diet Coke and a few other varieties.

But this is an across-the-board bottling change: All products are now sold in 1.5 liter bottles instead! This means all Coke products, Fanta, Minute Maid, diet and regular, caffeine and caffeine-free, etc. [An aside: Why must Minute Maid Pink Lemonade flavor non-carbonated drink be sold in a container that resembles a Coke bottle shape?]

This represents a horrible price increase. Smaller sizes are bought for convenience, not savings. But the 2.0 [and some used to be 3.0!] liter bottles were for the "industrial strength" users of the product who don't want to pay for packaging. Here's a few pricing examples:

Pepsi brand diet Pepsi caffeine-free 2.0 liter typical shelf price $1.29-$1.69 depending on just how good a store is. Chain supermarkets rarely exceed $1.29 and instead often run sales lowering it to $1.19, $1.09, $.99, $.89, $.88, $.79, $.77, $.69, or even occasionally $.66 [the last when they are blowing out "old" inventory when the label artwork changes]. [Most likely sale prices $.79-$.89.] [In any given month, expect a one-week Pepsi sale and a one-week Coke sale, and the other two weeks both are around $1.19-$1.29 typically.]

Coke brand Diet Coke caffeine-free 1.5 liter $1.29 each as a "typical" price comparable to the $1.29 price that was for the 2.0 liter prior bottle. But this is for 3/4 the product!!

I've even seen a "sale" where if you buy three, you get it for "only" $1.00 each. Again, this is for 3/4 the product, so this "sale" price is $1.33 which is higher than the REGULAR price for the former product!

Simultaneously in the same store I could get the Pepsi for $.79 for 2.0 liter or pay "only" $1.00 each for the Coke, but the Pepsi was minimum quantity just one bottle while the Coke "sale" required a three-bottle purchase to achieve the "savings" over the REGULAR price of $1.29!

Thus, when Pepsi is on sale and Coke is not, Pepsi costs $.79 for 2.0 liter, and Coke costs over $1.50 per 2.0 equivalent!

I hope Pepsi doesn't play this game themselves; Fortunately, they don't have a bottle-shape "heritage" to hang an excuse for this gouge.

cjl (message in a bottle?)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Worse, Diet A&W Rootbeer seems to have completely disappeared when the new "fridge packs" showed up. Not sure how I am going to survive without Diet A&W.

Booo Coke.

brobin
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:14

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I have not noticed this yet, but I drink Diet Coke like a fish. I'll simply have to cut back.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:38
Registered Member

Stats: 229/199/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have started drinking Walmart brank diet cola. I think it tastes the same as Diet Coke. It's only 50 cents for a 2 liter at my store.