Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 21:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/174.5/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Disgusting New LC Habit

After being on this WOE for 7 months I find that I have picked a new weird habit. With no one looking of course, I will put high carb food in my mouth, decide it's not worth the carbs or it doesn't taste all that great, and I will spit it into a napkin. Am I developing some kind of new eating disorder? Anyone else experience this? Thanks for letting me confess!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 21:54
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

"Unusual Food rituals such as shifting the food around on the plate to look eaten; cutting food into tiny pieces; making sure the fork avoids contact with the lips (using teeth to scrap food off the fork or spoon); chewing food and spitting it out, but not swallowing; dropping food into napkin on lap to later throw away. "

This was taken from

http://www.paysonroad.com/FAQs.htm

I wouldn't say that MEANS you have an eating disorder, but it might be a behavior to watch.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 21:59

Stats: 116/116/110 Female 5'4
BF:15%
Progress: 0%

I don't think I could ever do that. Once that food is in my mouth, it's going down.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 22:38

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

You're already doing the difficult part. You're spitting it out rather than swollowing. You're testing yourself by means of finding out if a food/foods still taste as good as you remember. You are determining if the food is worth the small cheat and the large guilt. You are then taking control of the situation and resolving the whole thing to your advantage.

I think this is perfectly normal. I've read of others doing the same thing on other boards. I view it as part of the learning process.

As I've mentioned, you're already doing the difficult part. Before this pattern ingrains itself too deeply in your psyche, I think you will find that it is just easier to not put the food in your mouth in the first place.

Don't worry. Be happy.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 22:59

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

I think this could lead to more dangerous behavior. Be careful.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 00:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/202/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 48%

I don't know if thats unusual or not. Me and my dad (who are both on atkins) have done that a few times, Just laughing with each other... i havent done it recently but we found it sort of empowering in some strange way. We did it with Wendys hamburger buns (they have great buns. ha) we were like.. see this bun aint so good.. insert into mouth, chew it a few times.. then pretend it was sickening and spit it out... If your doing it ALL the time, then yeah it could be a prob, But your not alone.. i have done this before.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 00:22
Registered Member

Stats: 110/110/90 Female 4 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

take care and beware!! this could lead to a potentially very serious eating disorder, i am a medical student and this is one of the begginning signs of a very addictive form of compulsive disorder, it begins by just chewing on food and spitting it out but contiual pattern of this leads to stimulation of gastric juices causing gastric burnout of intestinal lining of the stomach, eosaphagus or food pipe and leads to severe consequences in general health . also adds to digestive disorders and erosion of enamel of teeth causing cavities and oral thrush and candida infections, i sincerely adviise you to IMMD try to nip this habit in the bud.
once again, look after urself, take care and good luck !!!
vnd
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 00:58
Registered Member

Stats: 240/202/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnd
take care and beware!! this could lead to a potentially very serious eating disorder, i am a medical student and this is one of the begginning signs of a very addictive form of compulsive disorder, it begins by just chewing on food and spitting it out but contiual pattern of this leads to stimulation of gastric juices causing gastric burnout of intestinal lining of the stomach, eosaphagus or food pipe and leads to severe consequences in general health . also adds to digestive disorders and erosion of enamel of teeth causing cavities and oral thrush and candida infections, i sincerely adviise you to IMMD try to nip this habit in the bud.
vnd

Alrighty... lol, i take back my post.. I'll let the med student speak.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 08:10

Stats: 215/191/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

In addition to what was stated above, I strongly suspect that this could also cause an insulin release, which can trigger subsequent cravings, just as some artificial sweetners, and caffeine does in certain individuals.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 08:20

Stats: 239/245/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: -7%

Even if it wasn't a health risk; it's pretty nasty. I think you (the poster) would even agree or you wouldn't be calling out for help.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 08:36

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%

i do this all the time.. but just dont let it turn into swallowing it then getting it back out.. [like i have done]

if it satisfies your cravings, go for it, just dont take it to the extreme
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 11:11

Stats: 180/133.0/129 Female 5'4"
BF:22.83
Progress: 92%

I don't think that that is too weird. I've done the same with say, a piece of chocolate, Once in a while....whats the big deal?? As long as it doesn't become a habit.....There's a lot weirder things going on it the world than that....Don't sweat the small stuff....Suzanne
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 11:17

Stats: 185/157/140 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 62%

WOW, i have a problem too, not with spitting food out but a incrediable urge to lick my fingers when perparing my family's high carb foods! hehe :P
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 11:26

Plan: Atkins/Cigarettes/Coffee
Stats: 146/135/120 Female 5f 4
BF:Oink,Oin,O
Progress: 42%

Finger licking yes thats a hard one! I almost do it daily...... I say almost....I dont do it Ive been good lol
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 13:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnd
vnd

I was also reading that it can lead to inflamed salivary glands, leading to a weird "chipmunk-cheek" appearance. Is this true too? (cornering medical student)