Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 11:05

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up Paleo-LowFat........NeanderThin-Hi-Fat... your observations!!!

Well I finish both books now and so far I can see some people here being Paleo and others NeanderThin, I been reading a lot of the post and get a lot of guidance from many of you, I wanted to understand more how did you choose your path, your diet style and the reasons. As I can see the big difference is the Hi-Fat with Neander, and a lot of lean meat with Paleo.

Question then:

Why did you choose between Paleo or Neander?
Did you try it both?
Did you experience some discomfort in eigher one?
Or, Did one of this 2 made just more "mental" sence for you?

I adore to eat more Fat as is just so tastfull and fulfilling, in other words more (NeanderThin)... I just felt not very good with the book with Paleo, and thinking that our diet should be low fat/lean meat, I still think we are just discovering a new lifestyle and there are a lot of contradiction on this matter.

Last edited by cucu : Sat, May-15-04 at 23:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:35

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, because Cordain's (Paleo) writing is so technical as to make you believe he knows what he's talking about. But since that time I personally have rejected Cordain and am continuing to follow Neanderthin. Cordain claims to have a group of researchers dedicated to determining the appropriate diet based on what he believes we ate prehistorically. However, he has no problem recommending canola oil, an entirely modern processed oil which, like other plant oils, goes rancid at room temperature and produces trans fatty acids and free radicals when heated. And the reason he recommends this is to make the numbers work out with respect to omega-3 to omega-6 ratios. That's tantamount to feeding astroturf (artificial plastic grass) to cows to simulate being grass fed.

He continues to denounce saturated fat as "artery clogging," which is the typical, antiquated, fatophobic thinking that characterizes the rest of mainstream medicine. There is such overwhelming evidence that saturated fat is not only ok, but necessary for health, that I simply cannot believe there is no hidden agenda on his part. The only reason he has any success is that he rejects grains, sugar and processed food. My perception from the discussions and from the recipes posted on this board is that most people here generally follow Neanderthin.

Howard
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:47

BF:

One more thing I forgot to mention. Your cholesterol definitely looks like what doctors want to see. I personally am not convinced there is any correlation between blood cholesterol and any particular disease. I have never had mine tested and have no intention on doing so. What would be the point? If it were high there's no way I would take a statin drug.

Just the fact that your depression and fatigue are improving should give you confidence that you're on the right track.

Howard
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 18:41

BF:
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
I personally have rejected Cordain and am continuing to follow Neanderthin. And the reason he recommends this is to make the numbers work out with respect to omega-3 to omega-6 ratios. Howard

I totally agree with you, that is why I started this post, as we are trying to go back to find out what our true body is design to eat, we need to understand that we are EVOLVING and the world is not the same today. i.e Omegas are not the same as a result of feeding animals with grains, but on the other hand the oils today are a mess so we might be better with just natural fat...

I do believed that we are just in a crucial point in Nutrition Evolution, where all this questions will be answerar sometime soon, how to apply the Paleo diet to cure and control some huge and major sicknesses, I am specially surprise on how in 15 days my Immune system is recovering.

I been craving so much FAT Meat, like pork, red meat that I have to push myself to eat some fish and shrimp? would this be only a phase?...

I found this post trying to find more answers, and I found this one like a year ago, I might go and bye that book..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
Hi Janice,

I have read both books and tried both diets. A year ago I went with Cordain's thoughts, but eating low fat was not good at all. I actually read Neanderthin about 6 months before that, and that is how I got into paleo eating. Then, about 6 months after reading The Paleo Diet, I read a book called Life Without Bread. In it they comment on Cordain's book and the fact that low fat is not good for you. LWOB authors say to eat animal fat (and saturated fat), and go into detail as to why. Great book! I don't know why Cordain stresses low fat, and really don't know why he says to eat all the fruit you want. It is strange to me how someone who is an "expert" on paleo diets does not stress low carb. In July I spent the whole month eating basically meat and eggs and lots of animal fat, and just a few veggies. I dropped my weight and body fat to record lows and had very even moods and lots of energy. Paleo people had nothing even remotely sweet in their diets. The fruit they could find was as tart as a turnip and they probably ate less than 20g of carbs per day. They thrived on animal fat - including saturated fat.

Check out this link if you want to know what real paleo people ate... and just how healthy they were from eating that way... look for the "80 percent" in the article... it's about fat consumption.

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi..._americans.html

That lamb sounds tasty! I love lamb too. I buy grass-fed lamb from local farmers in the fall. I can't wait till they are ready for slaughter.

Hope this info helps.

Feel free to ask more questions.

You can always order Neanderthin off the web... and you might want to check out Life Without Bread.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...how#reader-link
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 19:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I totally agree with Howard.

Cordain wrote with a huge chip on his shoulder. He claims to have found 100's of studies showing low-carb, high-fat studies show many danger signs, but he failed to list any references to those studies. He mentioned one "study", conducted on 10 male athletes for one week or two, which is hardly scientific, and too short a period to show any signs of danger or health, and a very small sample.

If someone really had 100's of studies to support their point, why not list them for us to look up and verify his claims?

To me, he's the pre-historic version of Weight Watchers and SlimFast

I prefer Neanderthin.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 19:40
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

The thing about Cordain is that, as far as I can gather he is basing his arguments on the stone age peoples who were the ancestors of modern europeans, and from them much of the population of North America, Australia etc.

However much if not most of the world's paleo population would have eaten quite different combinations of foods and fats. For example the ancestors of the Inuit loved blubber, blubber and more blubber.
Modern American Indians show the typical body shape and facial types of arctic peoples, as they absolutely had to be to cross the 'land bridge' to get to Alaska so presumably they were blubber enthusiasts as well, in the past! Australian aborigines on the other hand found it very hard to get enough fat and resorted to things like witchetty grubs which are actually quite delicious, and a huge lizard called a goanna (a mini komodo dragon!) which is fatty and was broiled whole in the skin. I regularly eat kangaroo and it is so lean I cook it in beef fat!

What seems to be common is that fat seems to be prized wherever you go. In the 19th century when polar exploration started it soon became clear that the explorers needed to get at least 50% of their calories from fat otherwise they could literally not carry enough food on their sleds to get back to base on a long trek.

The ancestors of modern europeans, coming out of an ice age, surely would have needed a high fat diet.

Michael Gardner

Australia
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 20:04
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG
it What seems to be common is that fat seems to be prized wherever you go.

This is very true. I remember watching a documentary about the Inuit and the women were absolutely *thrilled* that the men had killed a couple of caribou that had so much fat on them.
The first words out of thier mouths as the men skinned the animals were "Look at all the FAT!!!!" and they had huge smiles on thier faces.

It was subtitled.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 21:03

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

I chose to go with neanderthin because when I eat low fat, it just doesn't make me feel any better or do any better. When I eat low fat I am much more likely to fall off the paleo woe and when I eat the neanderthin way, I don't have as much of a problem with it.

I didn't like a lot of the statements that Cordain made about fat. They didn't seem right to me, they didn't feel right. I was reading his book earlier today and I find that I still feel that way.

Marty
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 03:56
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic diet
Stats: 184/170/170 Male 180 cm
BF:Never measured
Progress: 100%
Cool

Howard:

“I personally am not convinced there is any correlation between blood cholesterol and any particular disease.” Well, Howard, it is very well proven that high level of “bad” cholesterol is correlated to high risk of cardiovascular diseases. Since about 50 % of western people die from these and related diseases it would be a bad advice to tell people not to care about their cholesterol levels. But most of the cholesterol is produced by the body and diet cholesterol seems to have very little influence on blood cholesterol levels. This is not to say that diet has no influence on cholesterol. The amount of food is sure important
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...o-crd041404.php
and very likely also the composition.

Michael G (and Lobstergal):

“What seems to be common is that fat seems to be prized wherever you go.”
Yes, and what does that prove? What also seems to be common is that Coca-Cola, Beer and Cigarettes seems to be prized wherever you go! ??

“In the 19th century when polar exploration started it soon became clear that the explorers needed to get at least 50% of their calories from fat otherwise they could literally not carry enough food on their sleds to get back to base on a long trek.” Aha? What does this say about human evolution? What do the popular references to Inuit diets say about human evolution and diet? Inuits and American indians (and to some extent Australian aboriginals) are very recent parentheses in human evolution and tell you very little about a natural original diet. Humans developed in Africa for two million years, so the food available there seem more relevant to me. You can also find examples of natural tribes that were 100% vegetarians. These are just exceptions (as the Inuits) and give no clue about the best natural healthy diet.

Regards - JHT
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT
You can also find examples of natural tribes that were 100% vegetarians. These are just exceptions (as the Inuits) and give no clue about the best natural healthy diet.

Regarding "100%" Vegetarian tribes:

"It is true that Hindu vegans living in certain parts of India do not suffer from vitamin B12 deficiency. This has led some to conclude that plant foods do provide this vitamin. This conclusion, however, is erroneous as many small insects, their feces, eggs, larvae and/or residue, are left on the plant foods these people consume, due to non-use of pesticides and inefficient cleaning methods. This is how these people obtain their vitamin B12. This contention is borne out by the fact that when vegan Indian Hindus later migrated to England, they came down with megaloblastic anaemia within a few years. In England, the food supply is cleaner, and insect residues are completely removed from plant foods (16)." [Weston A. Price Foundation]

Howard
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTuresson
Howard:

“I personally am not convinced there is any correlation between blood cholesterol and any particular disease.” Well, Howard, it is very well proven that high level of “bad” cholesterol is correlated to high risk of cardiovascular diseases. Since about 50 % of western people die from these and related diseases it would be a bad advice to tell people not to care about their cholesterol levels. But most of the cholesterol is produced by the body and diet cholesterol seems to have very little influence on blood cholesterol levels. This is not to say that diet has no influence on cholesterol. The amount of food is sure important
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...o-crd041404.php
and very likely also the composition.

How can you draw any conclusion from a study making claims regarding a single variable such as caloric restriction when they don't hold everything else constant. The composition of food of the two groups varied, as well. And then we don't know if they ate processed junk or all natural foods. We don't know if the fat they ate was poly, mono, or saturated. This study shows little, at least in the way it was reported.

Now, if it has been very well proven that there is a link between bad cholesterol and CV diseases, it should be easy to produce some evidence. Please post a link. Thanks.

Howard
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:39

BF:

I agree with Howard...

I haven’t stop asking all the Cardiologist about this subject and they all say:
THERE IS NOT A CONNECTION YET PROVEN of hi LDL and saturated fats, yesterday I was watching again Larry King Live with Dr. Atkins before he died and was asked this question, he make a very clear remark that "The Test everybody is referring to" was made with Hi-Carb diet.

But himself did one with Low-Carb and the LDL, HDL AND TRY.. got 30% better after 6 months, and also mention that he saw patients returning after more than 10 years of being on his diet and still making more improvements on their "tests"..

cucu
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:27
Registered Member

Howard,

actually, the Indian Hindu were not the people I had in mind, but I buy you explanation about the insect supplement anyway. So I back of to a 99.5 % vegetarian diet. :-) If it in reality is 99.2, 99.5 or 99.8 is nothing I wish to dispute, because obviously nether you nor I think that is a good and healthy diet.

The study on calorie restriction was a correlative (comparing, not experimental) study so you are right that all other factors were not held constant. Factors that could be controlled (age, sex, etc) was controlled for as far as possible and of the factors that differed caloric intake was the one that varied the most, and the CR-restriction group had superior values of all measured CD risk factors. Diet composition sure varied, but not hugely and the result was not in favour of the “fat-eaters”.

This is citation from the discussion of the cited article and the references they gave:
“Of the risk factors documented by epidemiological studies, elevated serum cholesterol has the distinction that it can induce development of atherosclerosis in the absence of other risk factors. This is evident in people with familial hypercholesterolemia (23) and has been demonstrated repeatedly in studies on animals (24). Furthermore, lowering cholesterol levels has been shown to reduce cardiovascular disease mortality (25).”

23. Goldstein, J. L., Hobbs, H. H. and Brown, M. S. (2001) in “The metabolic & molecular bases of inherited disease, eds. Scriver, Baudet, Sly % Valle (McGraw-Hill, New York), pp. 28-63-2913.

24. Reardon, C. A. & Getz, G. S. (2001) Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 12:167-173.

25. Gotto, A. M. Jr. & Grundy, S. M. (1999) Circulation 99: 1e-7.

It will be no problem to come up with more references on the connection between high cholesterol levels and CVD, but I need a day or two, and it feels as such a widely accepted correlation that it is somewhat a waste of time. The much more interesting question is if and how diet composition affects cholesterol levels.

Cheers - JHT
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:59
Registered Member

Cucu,

we are discussing two different questions.

Cucu:
“THERE IS NOT A CONNECTION YET PROVEN of hi LDL and saturated fats”
I agree. I have not opposed Howard (or anyone) on this subject at all. But personally I am slightly on the careful side with all fats anyway, for other reasons (overweight and associated problems and diseases). IF there is such a connection anyway, it is probably weak and other foods may be much worse (fast carbs?)

But
Howard “ I personally am not convinced there is any correlation between blood cholesterol and any particular disease.”
This is a very different question and here I do not agree at all.

I am now going home to fry a big fat T-bone steak, see you tomorrow – JHT ;-)
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 08:14
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

I tend to the theory that there is a corellation between lipid levels and heart disease, but not the one that has been pushed on us.

An alternative theory goes something like:

Some unknown, perhaps variable factor (though clamidia is in the frame) causes inflamation and damage to the cardi-vascular system. In an attempt to protect itself the body ups blood lipid levels and lays down layers of arterial fat deposits.
Sadly, what is essentially a healing process can itself become dangerous if the causative factors are not removed.