Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 15:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/188/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins Pros - Help!!!!! (Please) :-)

I'm trying to find out if Sugar-free Popsicles are okay during induction. I know it doesn't mention it. But, two popsicles are 3 carbs. I had two last night and I'm on day 3. I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess up. I put another post up, but got no response. Any suggestions are appreciated. Oh yeah, about the exercise, I've started walking for about an hour in the evenings. Does that up the loss any faster?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 18:38
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Exercise will definately help. As for the popsicles, there are 0-carb treats one can have instead, but if you like them and they keep you on-plan there are worse things you can do. It is important to get your carbs from the foods on the allowed list, but IMHO the popsicles would be FAR better than something with sugar alcohols...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 14:48
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Do yourself an ENORMOUS favour and try to avoid anything but natural foods for your two week Induction.

The purpose of Induction is to free you of cravings and get you into fat burning mode, as quickly as possible (ketosis). Ketosis will immediately curb your appetite and make it 500% easier to stay on plan following Induction. And we all know sticking with a diet is the key to success.

Artificial sweetners of any kind can interfere with this process. You are never really "cleaning out" your system. You never really have an opportunity to assess how eating whole foods makes you feel or affects your weight loss.

It's only 2 weeks. I know it seems like a long time now, but if you eat clean you will be amazed how much, and how quickly, your tastes change and your cravings for certain foods subsides.

Not to mention which, a clean Induction can mean the difference between losing 3 lbs or losing 10 lbs. I followed the book to the letter (no caffeine, no sweetners, nothing not on the approved list) and I lost 12.5 lbs.

There is no better motivation for going the distance than seeing those pounds drop off fast in the beginning.

Give yourself the best chance! You deserve it.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 14:50
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Ditto on what Kaillean said.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 15:34

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%

You should read the book.

The point of induction is NOT to just eat a certain amount of carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:58
Fully Caffeinated

Not to be nit-picky, guys, but sweeteners ARE on the allowed foods list. There is a limit, but they are allowed.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 19:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Y'know what's a better idea? Get some Celestial Seasonings fruit herbal tea, or a similar brand. Look for a flavour like Very Cherry Berry. It has no sweeteners, but still has an almost-sweet taste. No lie, it's just like Kool-aid when you make iced tea from it. I'm sure it would be good as a popsicle, too. Adding a sweetener is optional, but I don't add any.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 19:57
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Um I hate to sound all wild and crazy here, but think you'll be fine eating the popsicles. Just include them in your carb count, of course.

Good luck to you -

Liz
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 21:39
Fully Caffeinated

Liz.... (hearing "Boooooorn to be wiiiiiillld" being sung in the background)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 21:40
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Eat the ice pops, If they keep you from feeling deprived. They don't stall me, but then again, I am rebel enough to eat the sf jello with whipped cream too!
Just keep in mind that nutrasweet isn't good for you and eat with caution.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 00:37

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm joining the "don't eat the popsicles camp"

The lifesyle change of shifting to 20 grams of carbs can be pretty abrupt. When you eat 3g of non nutritional "food" that cuts your allotment to 17. 17 is crazy. Make your carbs count.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:54
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I just want to clarify - I'm not saying NEVER eat the SF popsicles. Sometimes a legal treat can keep you away from the hard stuff.

Just try to do a clean Induction is all. Otherwise, how will you even know if it is possible to get rid of those cravings altogether? It's only 14 days.

If anyone had told me starting off that I would totally LOSE my cravings for pasta and bread and sweets I would have said they were crazy. But deep ketosis, improved health and seeing the scale go down, down, down did the job!

The journey is a long one for most of us. There is plenty of time to think about treats and tools for sticking to plan as you go own.

I think it helps to think of Induction like detox.

It's impossible to overstress how much a jump start a clean Induction can be for some people. Not everyone, I know. But for a lot of people, it's just the early success they need to hang in there for the long run. Why not give yourself the best chance possible.

On the other hand, if you've got the car keys in hand and you're headed for the Krispy Kreme - eat the damn SF popsicle!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 11:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm in the "do what you have to do so you don't feel deprived and end up cheating" camp. Go for the popsicles, they sound harmless, I don't think they're "unclean" *giggle*. I eat SF stuff all the time and I don't have cravings or even cheat. Everyone is different.