Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 13:34

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%
Default New CKD Routine Posted

I've made a further revision to my workoutout routine. You can have a look by going to http://ksteveh.tripod.com/ckdroutine2rev2.html

Keep in mind that this routine has been built to maximize the diet at 10 weeks, but it can certainly be used in other situations. The key theme here is higher reps than during off-season mass-building periods. However, this is not merely a routine for cutting. Rather it has been designed to maximize cutting while maintaining and perhaps even stimulating new growth, even with the deprivation of carbohydrates.

In this revision, I’ve added more 15-rep preferences, with a few exceptions, notably pullups (10) which still could be brought up to 15, all rear delt exercises – typically 6-8 reps but now up to 10 reps…still looking for more mass here, and military press (10-12). I’ve changed calves to 20 reps as per Vince Gironda’s methods. I am still looking for more mass here as well, in spite of the high reps, and this provides a nice change from the Gironda 8x8s in the previous revision.

The arms and delt day is just too arduous for me on this diet. I feel too fatigued doing it. By the time I’m done delts, I’m not able to hit the arms hard enough… so… I’ve reversed the order. Arms are now first on Thursdays, and I removed a few delt exercises. Remember, delts are also hit on Saturdays during the FBW.

Finally, I added Good Mornings to leg/lower back day to keep the lower back strong. These work the lower back in opposite fashion to hyper extensions which I do in conjunction with abs. In addition, I am also doing deadlifts on the alternate week, so lower back gets well worked in this routine. Although abs are not specifically mentioned in the routine, I actually do ab exercises at the end of every workout.

I’ve also added 45-60 minutes of cardio 3x week to accelerate the diet as I am now down to lower levels of BF. It’s slow long cardio, like bike riding, in order to burn fat and not burn muscle. I am reluctant to lower my caloric intake below current levels (average 1800/day for the 5 ketogenic days), and hence the added cardio.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 08:50

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

I did the Innermusic's FB Workout Friday night. Worked for me and took about an hour. Nice plan!
Jag
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 07:26

Innermusic, I did your Leg workout last night. It took me a while to figure out what "Gironda" meant. But, a quick web search lead me to Vince Gironda's website. I did the Calf 8 X 8 with no problem. I have huge calves from mountain biking,
So far I like Innermusic's workouts. I workout with my Brother In Law and we seem to take about an hour.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Jag
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbender
I did the Calf 8 X 8 with no problem.

If it was "no problem", then you need to make some adjustments.The idea is 20-30 second rests between sets, using the same load for all 8 sets. You experiment to find the load that you can just barely do by the 7th set. If you can do the 8th set in perfect form, then the weight was too light and you'll need to add more weight next time. If you do it for 6 weeks, you will be increasing the load over the period, and you'll know when to do so when you can do the 8th set in perfect form, complete range of motion. You should be struggling by the 7th set to finish that 8th rep. You should not be able to finish the 8th set, or just barely.

BTW I've done the Gironda 8x8 for many different exercises, even squats and deads. It's valid, and it's a killer. Some folks view it as more cutting than hypertrophic, but I'm not so sure.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 05:39

I read the website and he Vince said to do it with no weight at first. The 7th and 8th sets my legs were shaking on the last few reps. It felt good. I was standing on the bottom step in my basement. I know he recommends a 4" platform so I'll have to whip one up. I think we had a good time between sets because my Brother in Law and I swapped positions after each set. Balance on the step and holding weight may be a problem. How do you add weight? I just got the basics off the website. More info would be helpful.
Please excuse my ignorance here. I am learning how to lift properly.
TIA
Jag
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbender
Balance on the step and holding weight may be a problem.

That's for sure. No, you'll need to be in the gym to do that. Any calf machine that has the knees straight will do, or even the leg press machine for calf is fine.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:31

I know why that "Gironda" calfs was so easy then. On my machine I have sitting leg press. I have been doing 390 pounds with the calves (up on my toes) for some time now. I usually do 3 X 15 will all the plates. How many reps and sets should I do then?

TIA

Jag
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 21:56

Don't combine leg press and calfs for this exercise... Try just doing calfs on the leg press. That means keep the legs straight (don't bend the knees) and just press down with the front of the feet to a fully extended position, then let the front of the feet go back as far as they will go... that's one rep. Once again, find a weight for the 8x8 that will allow you to get close to completion of the 7th set, but not quite allowing you to finish the 8th set.