Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 07:20
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Mc. Donalds Burgers seasoning has trans fats

I was in a rush yesterday and starving. All there was nearby was a Mc Donalds, so out of desperation I ordered a plain bunless hamburger with pickles. As I got home I was going on their website to check the nutritional info and as I was reading the ingredients to their GRILL SEASONING it lists Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil!!!!!!

I am so upset that I ate that icky stuff now, and had no idea.

So many times I see people getting a burger without the bun... who thinks of trans fats in the seasoning!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 07:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

You will have to excuse me, but I am an idiot about this fat stuff. Can someone please explain to me the good fats and the bad fats and what I should try to stay away from or the most a person should have a day? Thank you!

Don't feel bad about eating the burger, it could have been a lot worse, you could be me and have no clue about this stuff. You will be fine.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:07

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

Not to make you feel any worse... ... but don't eat it again! Go see the movie/documentary SUPER SIZE ME and you will not eat there again! Now, feel free to eat salads at McD's, whatever, but burgers there have five times the recommended maximum of trans fats in them. (Just read article about it on www.thestar.com Toronto Newspaper Health section and Movies section).

Now, I don't want to scare you, we've all eaten there unless we're from the moon (new location opening 2007), but it's time to see the health effects of this stuff on us.

GOOD FOR YOU for checking the nutritional info on it. Imagine if you did not...

M
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/134/115 Female 62 inches
BF:I dunno?
Progress: 42%

My kids wanted McD's after soccer yesterday. I got one of their new Adult Happy Meals (salad, water and a podemeter) anyway, I orded the ranch dressing that is an option. Well lemme tell you, thank goodness I was going home to eat it, 'cause their brand has 9 grams of carbs! So be careful if you do get a salad there. I ended up using what I had at home. The salad was great though (bacon ranch with grilled chicken)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:18
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I normally avoid all the fast food junk. Ewww now I feel so icky for eating that stuff!

As for good fats and bad fats... Try going to http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/skinny.html

And reading a bit about it. I would say that good fats are natural fats that come from animals, nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies.

Bad fats are mechanically produced fats like margarine.

Here is a quick post I made a while back on Hydrogenation.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=171962

There are plenty of other threads on the subject if you do some searches. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:20
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
Well lemme tell you, thank goodness I was going home to eat it, 'cause their brand has 9 grams of carbs!

Thats the reason I got the burger in the first place!!!

I asked for nutritional info, and I looked at the salads and the salads all had 6g of carbs and all the dressings had like 9 and I didnt want to eat a salad with no dressing so I figured a small hamburger would be the safest choice.

Boy was I wrong!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 176/122/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%/16%/17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itty
Hi

Not to make you feel any worse... ... but don't eat it again! Go see the movie/documentary SUPER SIZE ME and you will not eat there again! Now, feel free to eat salads at McD's, whatever, but burgers there have five times the recommended maximum of trans fats in them. (Just read article about it on www.thestar.com Toronto Newspaper Health section and Movies section).

Now, I don't want to scare you, we've all eaten there unless we're from the moon (new location opening 2007), but it's time to see the health effects of this stuff on us.

GOOD FOR YOU for checking the nutritional info on it. Imagine if you did not...

M

It's funny you should mention this film, bc i saw it recently bc i had heard so much about it. First, i thought it was boring, second it didn't change my mind at all about fast food. I just think the guy that made it was an idiot.

You should have gotten a salad....that's what i usually do.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 21:50
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Here is a tip regarding the McDonald's salads. I *never* eat the dressings offered with the salads. What I do is keep a small tightly covered bottle of olive oil in my purse (I use a small old washed out PLASTIC honey jar for that) and I put some of that on my salad. It works for me and I do not have to endure thier dressings.

A sandwich baggie between the lid and the jar keeps the oil from leaking out
with the lid tightly sealed.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 13:27
Registered Member

Yeah, i usually keep little packets of vinigarette salad dressing w/ me (or at my desk at work)... the grilled chix salad w/ a vinigarette is actually a pretty tasty lunch.

Which is another reason that I don't understand why people bash McDonald's so much, I mean, you can always eat other things. If I wasn't still low carbing it, the grilled chix sandwich seems reasonable for a diet.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 13:46

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

2 weeks ago we ordered our DS 2 cheeseburgers with ketchup only. Of course they csrewed up the order and he wouldn't eat it with the onions. So DW handed be bunless patty to eat so the "food" would nt go to waste.

I was surprised at ow SALTY the patty tasted. IT was really gross.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 16:09
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

When I worked at McDonald's all I remember putting on the patties was salt and pepper, but that was a few years ago.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 17:46

Stats: 320/285/240 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:

My husband and I don't have a problem with McD's burgers. In fact, since August we've lost over 140 lbs combined eating double cheeseburgers with no buns on a very regular basis.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 17:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just for the record, I never go to McDonald's anymore because their food is always cold. Several times I ordered a double cheeseburger, no bun, and it was so cold the cheese wouldn't even melt (or even get limp!).

I don't eat fast food often, just in a pinch. When I do I typically go for Burger King (double cheeseburger, plain, no bun). I like Wendy's better, but they're so expensive.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:16

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Oh BTW, that was the 2nd McDonals in 2 weeks to screw up our DS ketchup only cheeseburger. Where oh were has good customer service gone? ? ?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 08:26
Registered Member

Ha ha ha, yeah well, you could always put in a complaint??

I think it very important to dispell commen myths that in order to diet right you have to make everything yourself. Though nothing beats a home cooked meal, my busy work schedule just doesn't allow for it. I actually tried one of the "adult happy meals" the other day (free step counter...woo hooo)... it wasn't bad. i actually used the step counter --- turns out i walk about 3.5 miles a day just from the time i get up and get home.

I should note that the guy in super size me, walked about half that during his film. I bet the results would have been VERY different if he had exercized.