Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 07:27

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Quote:
I hope the information provided here can help you decide whether or not to include Dreamfields Pasta into your life. I know that I will definitely be enjoying pasta again, and I eagerly anticipate the development of an insoluble starch rice product

I am more open-minded about trying it now after reading this informative post. Thanks, ITW

Serri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:39
i see stars

Plan: My own way
Stats: 168/165/140 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have some Dreamfields in the cupboard, awaiting some alfredo sauce
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 12:00
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

Thank you for this great analysis! I just found Dreamfields at Jewell today and it will be nice to increase the variety in my diet (whch is already pretty varied actually!)

I have been reading and reading about this (yes, the Mendosa site, too) and I am curious as to why when people reported a BS spike after eating it there was no mention of how they cooked it. I think that is a critical variable. If those people cooked it too long or ate it as a leftover, the "protection" on the carbohydrates was no longer intact and it would act just like regular pasta. So if you eat if -- don't cook it too long and if you don't finish it at the meal, give it to non-LCers (becasue it'll turn into regular pasta in the fridge).

I can't wait to try it for dinner! Pasta Primavera here I come!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 13:36

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Thank you Grlygrl. You just solved my last keto drop out. I didn't realize that refrigeration would kill the carb blocking whoosit thingies. I had frozen blocks of mac n cheese for treats. Rats!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 16:23

Stats: 116/116/110 Female 5'4
BF:15%
Progress: 0%

So if I refrigerate the unused portion in the box it is no longer good?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 07:52
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpreece
So if I refrigerate the unused portion in the box it is no longer good?

No, refrigeration itself isn't a problem. It's re-heating of already cooked pasta that appears to break down carb-blocking properties. Overcooking (during an initial heating) can do the same thing. Also, possibly just letting cooked pasta sit (refrigerated or unrefrigerated) might do this. But, if you have an uncooked portion in the box it is still good irregardless of how you store it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 09:39

Plan: moderate low carb
Stats: 226/192/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default pasta in the fridge

I have made pasta salad with the elbows twice. I am a Type 2 diabetic so I can see how it affects me by the blood sugar number I get after eating it. It seems that if you make it into a salad and eat it the same day it still blocks the carbs, but the longer it sits in the fridge the more the carb blockers wear off. It didn't make me high the first day but it did when I tried to eat it again after it had been in the fridge a couple of days. I have not tried reheating it but I would think it would have the same effect. So I would agree with whoever said it probably wears off more the longer it's around after having been cooked.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 06:43
Registered Member

Stats: 136/120/118 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Carolyn C??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
No, refrigeration itself isn't a problem. It's re-heating of already cooked pasta that appears to break down carb-blocking properties. .........

CarlolynC,
Did you get this info from Dreamfields themselves?
I was wondering about people boiling the pasta then baking it for Mac and Cheese or other baked dishes weather they would be ingesting all the carbs.
Thanks,
Susie