Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: If you lost hair, after 4+ months did it grow back?
Yes its already back / Yes its DEFINATELY growing back 61 67.78%
No its not back / I think i see a hair growing back im not sure 29 32.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 15:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/168/160 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 89%
Post If you lost hair, did it grow back?

After looking through all the topics on the hair loss factor and noticing there is about 7:1 ratio for people that say they lost hair to people that say they got it back. So heres a poll to help, please do not vote unless it has been at least 3.5-4 months since the hair loss started that will give us a more accurate count.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 15:38

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

If you want more info on the hair loss and suppliments that help I posted something in the Newbies questions forum. For those of you who need more info you could try to do a search there, otherwise let me know and I will try to find the websites again. They were pretty informative and helpful. If you can't find it under newbies try searching this one too, my memory isn't all that great.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 18:59

BF:

For all the people voting could you share some of your story with the rest of us? Did you quit low carbing for it to grow back? Did any of the people that vote NO quit low carbing and still didnt have it grow back?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 03:38

Stats: 272/226/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Way too much!!
Progress: 38%

I lost a LOT of hair and consulted my dermatologist. She suggested taking Biotin, which is a B vitamin. It's supposed to be good for hair and nails. Well, it worked. Took about 4 months. Hair and nails are growing like crazy!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 03:56

Stats: 256/198/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 48%

As long as I keep taking biotin, I'm fine. It has grown back and I'm no longer losing it like crazy.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

I got all freaked because it was falling out a LOT. But after a few months, the loss slowed to normal levels and I definitely have millions of new little flyaway short hairs sticking out of my head, meaning it is growing back.

My biggest problem now is that I stupidly cut off all my lovely hair and hate my new short do. So I am scarfing biotin hoping it will grow out faster.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Low carb probably isn't responsible for your hair loss. I've seen people lose hair any time they drop a lot of pounds quickly. I remember people complaining about it on Nutrisystem years ago.

Someone described the life cycle of hair and yes, it will regrow about 3-4 months later.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 04:35

BF:

perhaps but 33% of the people that voted have not.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 11:26

Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%

How much biotin do you take?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 21:02

Stats: 223/163/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/25%/23%
Progress: 77%

After I started taking vitamins Atkins I noticed thicker hair. It took a few months. I remember it only seemed to be the first 3 months of the diet my hair fell out slowly.

I've been on it almost 2 years and am fine now.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 22:31
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was pretty healthy coming into this WOE. Even though I had metabolic problems, nutritionally speaking I got adequate amounts of everything... I ate lots of whole or fortified foods. Though my hair was already thinning from PCOS, my nails were pretty strong and never split.

Needless to say, after a few months of inadequate nutrition compounded with rapid weight loss and lack of supplementation, my hair started falling out at an alarming pace. My nails were splitting right in half, peeling, and they were weak and brittle.

I started to realize that what I was eating was not supplying all my nutrients, so I made a more conscious effort to eat good food. I also began supplementing most all vitamins and minerals. I slowed my weight loss down too.

My nails have made a dramatic recovery. Though I still experience some slight problems with peeling, as the nail grows out the amount it peels and propensity to break gets less and less. Is uspect the nail I am growing right now is completely healthy. I think my nails are thicker and stronger than they were before. Pre-lc though I had a very "solid" nail with a strong structure, it was very flimsy, like paper. Now my nail is slightly more brittle and tends to peel (which I think is growing out, I was probably very D & calcium deficient before the supplements), but it is much much thicker than it was even before LC.

As for the hair, it still isn't back to its fullness, though I think it's getting better. I certainly am not losing any more hair which is good.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 22:40

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

After two full months on Atkins, my hair loss begain. HUGE hair loss, at that. It lasted four months before new growth showed. It did grow back after the four months of very heavy hair loss.

I've been on Atkins for 8-1/2 months now. I've taken a boat load of supplements from day one. I've been eating all my veggies and drinking all my water. The hair grew back without benefit of any special hair stimulating supplement. What worries me now though, is that I've read on another board that someone is going through the same hair loss for the second time. Now I'm paranoid and checking my brush and drains for a repeat. If it happens to me a second time, I'll keep on keeping on. I have no intention of quitting. No retreat. No surrender.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 08:06
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Hmm, It "may" be finally coming back. I noticed that my shower drain no longer looks like a fuzzy lil creature, ewww, hated that.Not sure if it's "growing" back yet but the loss has FINALLY stopped.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 08:07

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

I started atkins for the first time Dec 2003 and I noticed my hair significantly falling out by the end of February. It slowed down to normal after about 4 months. When I stopped Atkins for about 6 months, I didn't notice any hair growing back. I re-started Atkins for the 3rd time this year at the end of March and this time I have not noticed hair falling more than normal, but it still hasn't grown back. I have been waiting for the hair to grow back that's shinier, healthier and more luxurius like some people reported but at this point I'd just want any hair to grow back. I'm looking a bit sparse.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:20

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Protein is key to growing healthy hair, nails, and skin. No way around it. Atkins emphasises fat over protein. If you're really concerned about hair loss, see if you can't add more protein to your diet.

My hair became fragile and broke off at the scalp constantly during a 2-year attempt at being a vegetarian. It stayed thin when I first eliminated refined carbohydrates and started eating meat again, but has been growing back nicely now that I have upped by protein intake.

However, it never fell out at the roots, which yours may be doing, and I have also started using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner to improve my scalp.

Last edited by Nelson : Wed, May-19-04 at 08:27.