Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 05:25

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 165/165/130 Female 5ft 6.5 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Nursing Mommy

I'm a new mommy and am nursing my 3-month-old. Is low-carbing safe?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 05:43
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hiya, in my honest oppinion LC should not be undertaken by pregnant women or those who are breast feeding. It does state that in the Atkins book. I would strongly suggest that you eat healthily until you have stopped breast feeding - your baby needs all of the nutrients and vitamines in your breast milk to grow and develope, include lots of freash vegies and just be careful about the sugary and starchy things. I would say that you can drop some carbs out of your diet whilst breast feeding, but not to a level where you are following a LC diet.
Good luck and I hope that you get some more responses!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 06:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 327/292/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I am going to go with Jadefox on this one.........I however think that perhaps what you should do while breastfeeding to prepare for LC ing is to cut out most or all processed foods, eat lots of fruit, veg, good lean meats ( perhaps you can find a good butcher as opposed to meat bought at a supermarket, its usually just as cost effective and the meat is much fresher and quite a few butchers have gone to organic meats only) cut out white sugar and white flour, perhaps add a 1/4 of a cup of brazil nuts ( wich have been shown to cut your risk of cancer significantly) or macadamia's sunflowerseeds etc each day, eat only unprocessed cheeses ( no american cheese "food" ) I know after I had my baby I couldnt wait to lose the weight but I think you will find that you soon will be done with the breast feeding, trust me as soon as those teeth come out the romance leaves the breast to baby relationship!!!
Keep looking around the boards and spend sometime reading Dr. Atkins book or which ever low carb plan you want to follow in the meantime and you will be all ready to go when you stop nursing.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 08:10
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hello and welcome!!

Maintenance levels are reccomended for pregnant and nursing mom's, please check www.atkins.com for more information.

Best of luck to you!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 09:55
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

"Eat healthy until you have stopped breast feeding" ?

If you have not done so already, Bangie - please get yourself a copy of the book. If you are comfortable with this way of eating then I say go for it as it is a healthy way to go. Congrats to you and welcome.