Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 327/309/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Weird...

I've lost 14 pounds in three weeks. Here's the weird thing... my measurements haven't changed (in fact, my waist has apparently gotten bigger). Also, my clothes are not fitting any differently.

What's the deal?! If I'm losing weight, where am I losing from?

Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:20

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

For some people the majority of the first bit of weight loss is primarily water weight. Plus when you start losing weight your fat kinda shifts around a bit and then you will see inches start to drop. Stick with things and you will start to see a difference soon. If you want you could post a menu of what you usually eat and someone may have some tips for you. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:23

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

I had the same thing.

Lost 21lbs in the first 3 weeks, saw no change in the way my clothes fit.

The NEXT 21lbs were huge though. I dropped from 3XL to 2XL, size 42 pants to size 38 (I'm male and wear them around the hips). I lost about 4 inches off my waist as well.

Don't get discouraged, things are about to get good ;o
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:24

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

This is why you can lose alot of weight but friends and family do not see it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:47

Stats: 327/309/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm not that concerned about my menus... I think they are okay (obviously something is working). I also know that some of it is water weight, but it just seemed weird to me.

I guess one good thing is that *I* think I look slimmer. I also have a bit more confidence lately. In the whole grand scheme of things, 14 pounds isn't much, but every pound is a tiny victory for me.

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks! Thanks for the insight!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:51

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I think a lot of it too is that you lose weight all over, look at your face and neck, your hands and the lower parts of your arms and legs. I think we lose in the tummy area last and that is usually the first place we look. You may even notice your shoes getting too big.

You will lose pounds or inches, but rarely at the same time, that is why it is good to do both because when you see the scale not moving you may be dropping inches like mad.

And I think 14 pounds is great! Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your success!

Debi
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 08:04

Stats: 000/000/160 Female 5'8"
BF:Don't/Want/To know
Progress: 0%

You know what I noticed this week? I haven't lost a single pound and actually gained a couple, BUT I have lost inches (well not inches, but centimeters). My pants are looser, my face looks SO much thinner. And after only 25 lbs.

You may be losing all over right now (which is great!) and you just can't *see* it yet. But, you will!

Oh and when you don't think 14 lbs is a lot, think of it this way....my 9 month old is 14 lbs. She is about 25 inches long. To look at her and think I've lost fat in the amount that she is long and big...that's quite an acheivment!

#8   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 08:20

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

I've lost 20 lbs and it wasn't until the last 3-4 lbs that my clothes started to feel looser. My rings were probably the first thing I noticed - I could actually take my wedding rings off to clean them without leaving my ring finger all red and throbbing! DH has commented about seeing it in my face and since taking Oil of Oregano I've noticed I've lost bloat in my lower stomach - I haven't taken measurements in about a month - so I'm due! Good luck - before you know it your clothes will be hanging on you!