Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 17:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/182/135 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Beginner on Atkins needs help!

I have read the book and I am faithful to the diet. I have only lost 10 pounds in the first month but I do notice that I am shrinking inches although I'm not measuring, I can tell my clothes fit differently.

My questions are as follows:

Will giving up diet coke improve weight loss? I drink about 8 a day.

Will antidepressants impede weight loss? I'm on 20 mg of Lexapro daily.

If my ketosis sticks don't turn purple but only the slightest shade of pink, should I be worried?

I have not cheated ONCE in a month. It's possible my carb count was off here or there but I'm being very faithful and of course, I'm learning more every day.

I do expect this to be a way of eating for my lifetime so I'm not horribly worried but I DO want to lose weight!

Starting weight was 205, my weight now is around 195. I'm 5'5" tall and don't exercise.

Thanks for being here and going before me to show me the way!!

XOellen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 17:55

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am not sure but I would start with the sodas. Do these sodas contain caffeine? I would be cautious in removing them.Your anti-depressants may also be impeding weightloss. But, that doesn't mean that you want to get rid of those either.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 17:59

Stats: 117//! Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Wow! Ten pounds is awesome! Be proud of yourself.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 18:07
Registered Member

Stats: 213/168/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 62%

I'd definately give up a few of those diet cokes. It's important that you drink LOTS of water. I may have a diet dr pepper once a week...MAYBE, but for the most part I stick to water. Another beverage I've found is Hansen's diet root beer and gingerale. They don't have carbs and are sweetened with Splenda.

I'm on 30mg's of Lexapro along with another medication and it hasn't hindered me one bit.

Can't help you with the keto sticks because I don't use them. After reading several thread about them I decided to forgo the sticks.

Our bodies are all different and we respond in different ways. If you can give us a sample menu for you day maybe there is something you're missing.

I can certainly understand how frustrating it can be, but I advise you to stay with it and be patient. I know there have been times when I've just wanted to give up, but I stayed in line and saw results. I'm of course still working my way down but it's becoming a lot easier for me to live this lifestyle.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 18:09

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%

uh yeah.. i havent lost a thing so be proud of the ten pounds honey! but if i were you, id cut out the sodas or atleast cut it in half for starters?? geez, thats an awful lot of carbonation plus they are made with aspartame [known to stall people]
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 18:57

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

I drink about 10 cans of diet CAFFEINE free coke a day and it hasn't stalled me in any way
Aspartame stalls some but not everyone
10 POUNDS IN A MONTH IS GREAT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 19:13

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

My questions are as follows and my answers follow:

Will giving up diet coke improve weight loss? I drink about 8 a day.
Possibly. But not necessarily. There are 3 things in diet colas that can be stallers: caffeine (which causes an insulin release), citric acid and aspartame. try cutting down by one per day. Substitute a glass of water when you feel you want #5
Will antidepressants impede weight loss? I'm on 20 mg of Lexapro daily.
Maybe but not necessarily. Don't stop a medication just because you might lose more slowly. Dr. Atkins said that most prescription medications slowed the losing, but so do Tylenol & aspirin etc.
If my ketosis sticks don't turn purple but only the slightest shade of pink, should I be worried?
No. Many people lose well and never show more than pale pink. ANY colour is a success.
I have not cheated ONCE in a month. It's possible my carb count was off here or there but I'm being very faithful and of course, I'm learning more every day.
Good for you. that IS the way to succeed. Be patient during the days, weeks, months that your body is not yet ready to lose more. Tomorrow could be the day.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 23:25

Stats: 275/247/175 Female 5'10
BF:39/36/24or less
Progress: 28%

10pounds is great!!! I guess some lose pounds and some lose inches. I have lost 22 pounds and no inches. That big Woosh will come.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 03:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 110/110/90 Female 4 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

hey! congrats on that 10 poound loss!! ur doin great! jus ditch the diet coke !
vnd
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 09:05

Stats: 211/182/135 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Thank You!

I can't tell you all how wonderful it is to have this forum to post to and to get your FEEDBACK and ENCOURAGEMENT!!

You are all my angels today!

Thanks so much for your support and encouragement and for your practical advice.

And you know, sometimes it's just nice to know what the problem is, even if I'm not quite ready to stop the bad behavior!

There's nothing in this world like perspective and I get it from YOU ALL!

I'm loving you all already!

xoxoellen