Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 23:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/145/130 Male 5"7'
BF:
Progress:
Default Worried about cholesterol?

Arent any of you worried about cholersterol? I mean with all this meat + egg intake, there's a really high chance of heart problems
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 23:30
Registered Member

Stats: 206/199/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

No....I used to but no more...People I know who have been on Atkins show a lowering of their Cholesterol...I used to worry about it too until I checked with others who had their blood tested....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:35
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

my triglycerides were over 400 and now they are at 53.

I am no longer afraid of high cholesterol either.

Try checking out these websites

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/skinny.html

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

http://www.thincs.org/

http://www.thincs.org/Malcolm.htm#atkins2 (this one explaines why a diet high in fat will lower triglycerides but is pretty technical)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:38

Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

My hubby just had his blood work done and his cholesterol was really high - so high they put him on meds. But he is still eating junk in conjunction with more of the meats and proteins I am feeding him. He eats the LC meals for dinner, but will eat high carb items for lunch, keeps Little Debbie snack cakes in his desk at work (I won't let him keep them here) and has ice cream every night before he goes to bed. He is already thin (5'8" at 158 lbs.).

This worried me at first, but then I realize that my diet is strictly LC and most of the reports I've read from others has been positive. I guess I will only know when I go back and get my blood drawn. The last time I went my triglycerides were really high. That should not be a problem next time.

Vicki B.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:09

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

No, I eat fats liberally and my HDL=77 LDL==59 and triglycerides ar 59. Miraculously fats did not cause the damage that science has preached for so long. Also, I must point out, this is not a meat and egg diet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 08:09

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

You will find that most people seem to actually IMPROVE their cholesteral while eating this way. After over one year of this way of life, my HDL is 77, my LDL is 119 and my triglycerides are 37. I eat meat and eggs virtually every day. I would say I average 15-20 eggs per week. The idea that eggs are bad for your cholesterol is just not true; at least when you are low-carbing.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 09:24

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

#8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 11:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think you're suffering from the biggest urban myth ever: Dietary fat causes heart disease.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I cook with lard and butter. My triglycerides are 46, they were 200+ when I was on a LF diabetic diet. My HDL is now 53, my total is 161.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 13:47

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Hi, My advice is to read up on the links above and try not to stress over it. I've read somewhere that stress can have a bad impact on your cholesterol (I think it's the LDL but I don't remember for sure which one it was.) Of course, that's easier said, than done...I haven't had mine tested since I started and have to admit I'm a bit nervous. I've never had problems with my cholesterol and now I think, "Gosh, what if it suddenly gets bad when it never was? Then will my doctor who actually recommended this diet to me, freak and tell me to stop and stop recommending it to others?) I'm thinking about going to one of those set ups where they test your cholesterol at the Mall for a screening before I do the big test...just for a sneak peek before the doctor sees it. hehe I think it has to be better then it was though cuz before this WOE we still had our bacon/eggs on Sundays and tons of donuts. I had them in the freezer (I'd get them on sale) and then I'd pull them out and microwave them. I probably ate 3 or 4 every week with coffee. They're the worst for weightgain! Sure would like to come up with a decent LC version but I guess it's like trying to make LC pancakes, they just aren't the same. Too eggy tasting. Annie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 17:34
Registered Member

Stats: 144/133/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Default My bloodwork came back

After 9-10 months on the way of life, HDL 61, LDL 122, Triglycerides 56, blood glucose 75. I am just starting back on my exercise routine after a cold winter in Michigan, so I expect the numbers to improve from here.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 23:53
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

hmm, thanks for the advice. dietary fat = good fat? whats bad fat then? sat fats?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 20:35
Registered Member

Stats: 144/133/130 Female 5'7"
BF:

Dietary fat is the fat you eat. On the Atkins plan, you can have saturated fat, but not transfats. Other LC plans restrict saturated fats.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 23:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

where can i check where the transfat is on the nutrition label?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 06:19

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

transfats will show up on the label as" hydrogenated", or "partially hydrogenated" oil. although I believe it is NOT required to list this seperately.