Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 23:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 110/110/90 Female 4 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default pardon me atkiners but...

hi
before i start let me say i think i have to be really prepared for the barrage of admonishment from everyone..all in good sense though it might be ..sigh! but still I JUST HAD TO ASK!!! my question reallly is a very stupid one so i beg pardon from all the serious atkiners in advance, gulp! anyway here goes....my problem is i am of a petite frame and really dont need to much weigh, xcept round the ..ahem ..tummy, i carry a small roll there which really looks bad, whats more, i have tried everythin i knwo to get rid of this...exercise{i do 1 n half hr of cycling every day at level 5} abs avoiding too much fat xcept the recommened amt,and eating only veggies, grains and a well balanced meal as defn in the good ol days bfore atkins, doin crunches{200 -300} every day and weights too, but try as i might i couldnt get rid of the belly, also i noticed that as soon as i eat, my stomach bulges up and looks even more prominent, n this would last till the next meal!! as i was eating carbs like veggies, rice and lil bit of protein , after reading atkins i thought that carbs might be doin this to me...i needed to ask...has anyone had probs with too weight round the tummy? has anyone mangaed to lose weight there on atkins? also what bout the tummy bulge after eating? has anyoen xperienced this? when i say bulge read more like bloat. if anyone other than me had this prob i would be oh soooo happy to hear from them, n also any advice for this prob?
another thing is the sugar....my major prob is with the sugar, i find that on atkins i am abs comfy with the food n stuff, i dont miss anything and am abs happy to folllow it xcept for the sugar...i dont eat any sweets or anyhtin, its jus that i am abs addcited to sweet drinks like coffee and fruit juice, i need to have them and have them heavily heavily sugared! i tried the first day of induction on atkins n tried to give up the coffee n juice with sugar for a whole day but it was HELL, the 2 day that is today, it was abs unbearable, try as i might i jus couldnt, i went right back to having some coffee n glass of juice....now i am so discouraged, i know i jus cant do atkins, i cant give up the coffee. my prob is i dont even drink too much coffee or other sodas or stuff, i jus need one cup in the morn, one in the night and a glas off juice in the aftnoon, its jus that each of these might contain like 10 spoons of sugar or more! now i am thinkin i cant do atkins anymore coz of this...what i want to know i s, is there any benefit if i jus have these cups of coffee n juice but still try to jus follow the protein diiet n restrict carbs? i know i will have to cut the fat coz i am havin sugar....what i am thinkin is isnt sumpthin better than nuthin? at least the meals r carb free/ will that help? like i said i wanna lose round the tummy, i am already pretty slim.....do u think i should do this? any help, advice, admonishes are welcome, please feel free....
regards
vnd
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 23:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/194/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default cutting carbs and refined junk

Hi vnd, cutting out refined sugar and flours etc. out of the diet in any quantity is a healthy move. Not all people who cut carbs do Atkins. Do not cut the fat, it's what keeps you from being hungry. That is always the first casualty, it seems and the last thing that should be cut.

Why don't you try doing a modified LC diet and see if you can lose anything. But that is a LOT of sugar for LC and I don't know if you would have any luck or not.

For what it's worth, you might want to try and wean yourself off your addictions more slowly, but cutting down on the sugar gradually instead of going cold turkey overnight. It's worth a try and better than not trying at all, I think.

Please note, fat around the abdominal area is a good sign the body is not assimilating sugar properly. Read the Atkins book and it will explain that to you in there. This is all the more reason to ditch the sugar if you can.

Last edited by Pugzley : Mon, May-10-04 at 23:50. Reason: oops made a booboo
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 00:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

hey, thanks for ans my post, i havent read the book coz i couldnt afford it, i am still studyin n can catch up in a bookstore, what does it say bout fat round the abs? n also is it ok for me to eat fat if i am still consuming sugar too? i thought if the body is recieving so much sugar it will store up all the fat i eat n make me fat!!! any advice?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 00:23

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Here's a link where you can get the Atkins info for free

Here's where you can go to see the information re: Atkins

It's great to have a book but if you can't afford one, this site has everything that is in the book on it.

http://www.atkins.com

People who do modified LC sometimes just cut the refined junk foods out of their diet. You would want to do something different from the Atkins diet if you are going to continue to eat sugar. Why not just cut out potato chips, cookies, and any other junk foods you eat first and keep with the healthy stuff, like salads, good meats etc. I don't know what you eat that is bad, but bread is a great place to start cutting carbs. Also, potatoes, soda pop, etc.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 00:36
Registered Member

Stats: 144/126/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Smile

I think it is normal to have a hard time the first few days. Your body is really going to want the sugar that is for sure. I have found that using splenda is so great. I use it in everything for drinks, coffee and juice(I am sure everyone will tell you that.). I agree that cutting out any white flour and sugar is a good start. I also think that although it is hard in the begining, it is so worth the outcome. It is really hard to start Atkins without the book and having the understanding of what your body is doing in the first few weeks. I thought I would forever be dependent on sugar, but such is not the case anymore. Your body will go through alot of adjustments it just depends on if loosing the weight is important enough to you. Good luck with everything and I hope that you get the information that you need to decide what the right thing for you to do is.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 01:08

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Sounds to me like you might have a candida yeast prob goin' on in there! If you feed these "sugar beasties" what they crave the prob will go on indefinately. What kind of symptoms do you get in between breakfast and the next juice and sugary coffee attack? It's those beasties freakin' for their food! You have to starve these things and get them out of your system (if that is what it is). They leech your body of vital nutrients and can cause a variety of problems. Look into eating plan for candida yeast overgrowth, give it a try and see if you feel better. Remember, when the beasties "die-off" you can be somewhat uncomfortable and show several side affects. Stay cool and on plan. It's worth going thru to get these buggers out of your system! Good Luck!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 03:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

hello everyone
thanks a lot again for ans my queries,i really hate to keep asking and i really appreciate all the patience you guys are having to keep ans, i hope u will forgive me for i have one more!!gulp, sorry! i was jus wondering whether i am doing the eating part right, having been on a diet which abs forbade fats , i had a tuff time overcoming my paranoia of eating fat now n have this fear that it will just end up with me getting fatter,..here is the menu for one day which i followed...

breakfast...one egg, fried with a tsp of "i cant believe its not buuter" to which i added one chopped shitake mushroom, one tsp mozarella cheese and one tsp jack cheddar cheese.
one cup of herbal tea with 2 packets of splenda and half a tsp of coffeemate
a cup of decaff with half a packet of splenda

Lunch: one fried egg omelette, with salt n pepper n just a dash of chilli powder
half a cup of iceberg lettuce chopped
half a cup of raddichio chopped
half a small cucumber chopped
two strings beans and 2 spears of broccoli cooked
2 or 3 strings of carrot
half a smalll chicken breast roasted with salt n pepper
2 glasses of water

Snack..botltle of water

Dinner: 2 asparagus spears roasted
3 small pieces of tysons turkey medallions, ready to serve kind , cooked in some gravy n said to have 10g of carbs per serving, but i ate only like 3 pieces
a half cup of iceberg lettuce chopped
half a cup of raddichio chopped
quarter cup of cucumber
Small piece like 2 tbsp of jack cheese
glass of water
small cup of herbal tea with 1 packet of splenda

am i doing this right? i calc the carbs n coz i was using herb tea n so much splenda it jus came to 20 g, but the next day i was so listless, tired n soooo hungry and thats when i started goin nuts for the sugar, i want to know is this menu ok? do i need to eat more of anything? i am really new to this meat thing for the other diet forbade meats, so how much of meat can u have for breakfast or lunch n dinner? i feel even if i eat half a chicken breast it might be too much!!! also the veggies, if i calc the salad alone, the carb value is like 1.6 g for jus the lettuce n the other veg category like tomato, onion, peppers , if taken in a variety to make half cup tops off at 3 or even 4 g!!! as i drink a bit too much herb tea stuff with the splenda{that 4 pks takes up quite a bit carb count} i have to watch the veggies but this is leaving me starved!! ican anyone reassure me about the meat quantity? what n how much do u guys eat when u eat chicken, or fish or seafood? please tell me in a cup or whole, half kind of thing...i dont get the hang of calc in ounces{ouch}

please do help n advise

2 smal
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 05:09

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

So many people have problems with the tummy area, including myself. It seems its almost impossible to get rid of it, and mine pokes out too after i eat, just like you said yours does. You could try Relacore. Its supposed to help you lose inches around your stomach when nothing else works. I ordered some, waiting on it to get here.. it has a money back guarantee, so if it doesnt work at least ill have tried and will get my money back. http://www.relacore.com
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:55

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You really need to get some reading done. Either borrow the book for an LC plan from your library or browse some of the websites. Here you say you can't afford the book, but another post said that you spent $62 on cream and butter. Investing $7 in a copy of either "Atkins for Life" or "Protein Power Life Plan" would be far wiser.

You can continue to ask questions but you really won't get the full picture of any LC plan that way.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:18
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

I'm with Tofi on this...

You need the book..... and $7.00 is not a lot of money...Buy the book you won't regret it. You are not at all on a low carb diet, as far as I can see. Looks more like low fat, lo calorie, hi sugar. No where near Atkins or any other lo-carb plan

I also think you may have intestinal yeast, you certainly are not fat, and if your gut pops out after you eat sugar or starches, this is a sign of Candida.
If you have yeast in your intestines, when you add sugar, it makes the yeast expand.... (your belly area) You know, like when you make bread, and add yeast, and then add the sugar to activate the yeast causing the dough to rise. (expand)

I suggest you get the book (again) and do some reading, and go from there.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 08:02

Plan: Strict Atkins
Stats: 290/195/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 68%

vnd - you don't say - but do you have children? I am asking becuase once you have popped one of those darlings out, the little fat tummy stays forever LOL. Seriously, if you have had children - there is a patch of fat around the stomach that doens't go anywhere no matter how many crunches are done.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 15:26

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

One egg for breakfast was what I ate as a child, I need at least 2, sometimes 3 (during TOM) to keep me full. I agree, the book may cost some money but you might be able to find a copy at half price books. I know they're on ebay, cuz I almost bought one that way except that I found one at Albertsons and couldn't wait so I bought it there instead. The book gives you SOOO much info and encouragement. It's great!!! It gives you sample meals to use and guidelines about veggies so you're not counting your broccoli and bean pieces. It's much easier to follow and best of all, you will NOT be hungry if you follow it right. Also..helpful for me was to have your fridge stocked with hard boiled eggs, veggies (no carrots), dip, olives, avocados, 1 oz cheeses slices,and LC sweets & soda's on hand so I didn't run down to the local store when I was PMS and buy the bad stuff. Hope this helps, Annie
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 15:59
Registered Member

Stats: 206/199/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

You say you are already pretty slim...How slim do you want to be...110 sounds darn small to me...Why don't you try to relax? look on the TV. all women have some roundness to their tummies....How about continuing the exercises for it and yes try to kick the sugar with using less each day...even a bit each day will sure help
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 17:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

hi, its me again...
yeah, i know, thanks . i got the book like u advised, i am gonna read it, yeah 110 is fine but the problem is i arrived and am staying that way following a VERY unhealthy diet...like skipping breakfast, eating lil lunch, no snacks, and sometimes missing dinner, to fill up on those empty hrs, i have the coffee with heavy sugar,...hence the sugar addiction, yeah, the lunch n dinner r pretty healthy with lotsa veggies and usually a slice of bread or cup of rice, no pasta, but u see i find that immd after the meals i have bloating and discomfort , i wanted to change all this by following a relatively healthier diet..hence atkins....what do u guys think? is it ok?
vnd
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 18:20

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%

in response to the whole "bloat" thing.. i have ALWAYS had that problem and couldnt figure out why.. gas.. you name it [sorry] and as soon as i started LCing viola! its gone.. im sooo excited.. and i always feel thinner [thru the WHOLE DAY, not just in the morning] anyway, about the tummy flab... i have it too and i havent found out a way to get rid of it completely but im working on it. i have also thought about switching to CKD since i workout so much. [there are forums, read about it] anyway, like i said im working on it and if i ever figure it out, ill let you know. i used to drink coffee every morning also. diet sodas, and i love juice [but i never drink it] but i decided that i wanted the rest of this weight OFF, NOW!! so in order to do that you have to be serious. EXTREMELY SERIOUS [especially when your boyfriend can eat whatever he wants and does so in front of you] try giving stuff up a little at a time. i gave mine up cold turkey. however, i do allow myself a diet rite after dinner for dessert. hope this helps

liz