Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/138/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question from bad to WORSE

Well I'm almost through my third week on this diet. I started off at 140lbs, dropped down to 135lbs my first week. Lost nothing until yesterday when my weight went up. Yes UP!!!!!

Today it's up again. Now I'm back to 137.

I've cut out my salad, though the sillystix say I am in ketosis. They are ranging between the small and medium level, so I guess that means the 8 glasses of liquid a day are doing something.

My cheating if you can call it that was eating high fat (triple-cream) brie, which has a carb rating of 0.1 per oz. I was eating a lot of that, so I've cut it down this week based on a comment in the turtle group to no more than 4oz a day.

I'm still taking drugs (celexa + BCP + multi-vitamin and potassium) every day. I'm keeping a journal and my carb counts for this week are averaging 10gs a day. My clothes are not really looser.

Finally I seem to have a constant headache. Though the water is having the expected effect, The rest of my body has ceased to function (I'm very constipated). Is that why the headaches?

I'm counting carbs and watching what I eat. Now it's meat and eggs and more meat and more eggs. Nothing processed really, and I'm trying to eat the fat.

BOO HOO. I'm just a big cry baby

Help me please!!

TG
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 11:56

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default huggggs

Im sorry U are down, but be patient. 1st of all is it close to that time of the month? For me I always gain a few pounds around then...just water weight. Also because U dont have a lot to lose your progress will be slower. Something else to try is----- maybe U havent been eating enough carbs? For 2 days try to eat 30 grams a day, then for the next 3 days cut back to under 15. Dont weigh yorself until about the 5th day. Maybe that will help. Take care and keep positive
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 13:06
Registered Member

BF:
Question carbs???

I thought carbs were to be avoided.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 15:00

BF:

Carbs that to be absolutely avoided are sugar, pastas and breads. BUT someotimes if U are eating too few veggies your body becomes used to it and then prevents weight loss. If U have a couple of days where U eat lots of veggies and even some low carb fruits THEN U cut back to under 15 grams a day it can kick start your weight loss. Hope this helps.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 15:12
Registered Member

BF:
Default veggies

I'm eating a leaf of lettuce a day, sometimes not even that.

what would you recommend?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 15:20

BF:

Oh My heavens!!!! LOL ok I would for at least next 3 days increase that to one big low-carb veggie salad and then another 1/2- 3/4 cup of cooked veggies at night---like grean beans or brocoli. Also I would add a few berries too. Then after the 3 days cut back to one small salad a day, then weigh yourself after that. I would think U arent eating enough calories in general? Hear is a typical menu for me when I was losing weight. Morning would be 3 eggs and lots of butter. Lunch maybe be 8 slices of bacon and 2 slices of tomatoes. Supper being an 8 oz steak and 1/2 cup green beans. Then B 4 bed I had a bit of left over meat. Are U drinking enough water and taking vitamins?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 15:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default my menus

brekkie ... every day ... 2 eggs and 4 slices of bacon and my 1 cup of real coffee with whip cream (1 tsp) and sweetner

lunch ... every day ... meat and 4 ozs of cheese and 1 hard boiled egg (occasionally sashimi (raw fish) for lunch)

dinner ...every day ... a couple of leaves of lettuce and steak or fish or shrimp.

drinking ... 4 cans of diet pop, 4 glasses of water

vitamins ... good quality multi + 50g of potassium ... both twice a day.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 16:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

You are going to hear this from everyone who responds.....

1. Eat more veggies. For sure. If it is Atkins you are doing, induction calls for 20 g of carbs. Less is not better in this WOE, in fact, sometimes a little more can do the trick. Give you body some fibre! All carbs are not equal, some good, low carb veggies will help, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower...

2. You are not drinking enough water. On this diet most recommend over 64 oz of water and more. You can't drink enough water on this diet. It is essential to keep the fat flushing from your system.

3. Watch out for the diet pop. Diet pop is a NOTORIOUS cause of weight loss stalls. The artificial sweetener can cause your body to respond with insulin as it does with sugar. Many people experiencing stalls will attempt to quit all artificial sweeteners in order to see if it makes a difference. 4 cans of soda do not make up the difference in your water. In fact it might cause problems as soda can have a diuretic effect if it is caffinated, or a bloating effect causing you to retain water if it has a lot of sodium.

Every time I seriously stalled out, the inevitable solution was to eat more calories...this almost always worked. Really try to eat 10 to 12 X your body weight. Don't skimp on the carbs you are allowed to have, and don't skimp out on the water. Quit the pop for now, and see if it changes things.

Good luck!
Mari
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 16:27

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Now stop and think for a moment

Let's be logical.

You have increased your water intake so remember that your body will use that water to plump up the fat cells and that will prevent downward movement on the scale. But be patient, eventually those cells let go of the water.

You have also mentioned that you are very constipated. That is adding to the fact that the scales aren't moving downward either.

As everyone else has already said. You NEED fibre (in the form of green carbs--veggies, lettuce, etc) and that will help move things along as well. Either that or a lot of fat. If your fat intake is very high it usually leads to the opposite of constipation.

This is all part of the process. Of course we all want the fat to be dropping off our bodies RIGHT NOW but you also need to be listening to your body and learning how it works and what it needs to "feel" healthy and right.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 16:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default diet pop

only non-caffeinated sodium free pop ... but i've cut it down today to two and am going to try and get more water into me ... it's the one thing i've never liked ... warm water ... yukkk!!!

I'm going to add carbs tonight with dinner ... veggie of some sort and try that for a few days ... maybe then.

thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 18:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Even if you were doing everything "right", your weight will normally fluctuate. It's never a total downward trend, but up and down, with a mostly downward trend.

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 19:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314/291/175
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default great advice

your frustration sound familiar but these folks on this forum give great advice and recommendations. Aren't you glad you wrote? Keep working and the results will follow. K
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 09:23

BF:
Default excellant advice

U have received some great adice Torontogal. Im drinking 80oz of water a day and I dont really like it, I know how good it is for me. Cut out the diet pop as much as U can and try cutting out any dairy products U can for a couple days. Good luck!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: thinking on it
Stats: 165/157/130
BF:
Progress: 23%
Wink poor loser

I've just been reading the plight of torontogal and the many helpful replies. I myself just posted a note in the turtles club bemoaning the fact that I am progressing so very slowly. Reading the replies to torontogal have really helped me get some good ideas too. Thanks everyone!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 10:25

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default The "backed-up" thing

The diet affected me that way as well. What really help was some herbal laxative tea that I found at the grocery store. You have a cup of the tea (which tastes a little like black licorice) and in the morning ... no problem. It is very gentle to so it works once and then you are okay for the rest of the day.

Hope that helps on that count.

Linnea

PS.. Don't worry about your weight going up. It happens. Just wait it out and you will see it going down.