Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 480/460/160 Female 5'8 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Muscle Fatigue

Does anybody haven muscle fatigue really easy since LCing
My muscles get this way even after not doing so much.

Thanks
Sandy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 09:20

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sandy

What are you eating? Are you getting enough protien? I found it was alot tougher getting around with all that extra weight!

However, my energy levels have plummeted, but I know it's because of a long, normal winter (in Toronto). I always get laggy after being inside for almost six months!!!!

Think it's either of those???

mary
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 18:47
Registered Member

BF:

Well I'm eating meat and cheese and vegies and am pretty sure I'm getting enough protein. I have been keeping carbs to around 20 per day. The thing with the muscle fatigue is it only started when I began this way of eating. So even though I carry alot of weight I was fine before. Also my knee joints are really hurting and I have lost around ten to fifteen pounds so they should have less stress on them. I drink about 70 ounces a day of water also. So I don't really understand why I am having these problems. It's very hard to exercise when you feel like this.

Sandy
Seek Ye First The Kingdom of God
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 18:53
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein/4 Corners Diet
Stats: 134/106/105 Female 5'0"
BF:31/23/22
Progress: 97%

Maybe it's your potassium. You should really go to the doctor and have a blood test. It could be something serious like your electrolytes being out of whack, diabetes, or nothing. But IMHO, it bears checking out.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 18:54

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

I've had leg cramps, but I fix that with drinking more soy milk, 300g of potassium
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 19:19

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%

Potassium, magnesium and calcium are the three most important supplements for LCers to take (as when we don't consume all those "enriched" processed foods, we can miss the micronutrients that the manufacturers added).

Another reason for the fatigue could be that you are going through severe withdrawal from carbohydrate addiction. There is a lot scientific evidence that carbohydrates are physiologically addictive. It can be as hard to get off as drugs or alcohol addictions. Give it time and the "physiological hold" that the carbohydrates may have on you should pass.

Good Luck!!

J.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 13:14
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm also having really bad knee pain which doesn't make sense since it is worse now than when I was heavier.
I haven't been taking supplements.
I have been taking a multivitamin.
J how do you buy potassium and calcium and magnesium together in one supplement? Or separate? If together what is it called?

Thanks Sandy
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 18:15

Sandy,

You can buy them at just about any drug store. I usually buy them seperate but I have seen some combined into one pill, like Calcium and Magnesium together.

J
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:49
Registered Member

BF:
Question How much Potassium

Ok I bought the Potassium and Magnesium and Calcuim but how much of each do I take?
Just wondering

Thanks Sandy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 12:10

I take 200 mg of Potassium, 400 mg of Magnesium and 800 mg of Calcium. You can't take to much as the excess will just pass through you.

J
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 13:05

Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

Toxins are stored in body fat - as you release the fat, you release the toxins. You may be releasing toxins, if so make your weight loss slow.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:

Do toxins make your muscles sore?
I don't really want to slow down weight loss since I have so much too lose.
I think I will stick it out for a while and just deal with the pain in my knees and muscles. I started April 19 and haven't cheated yet. Well not really I have had a little bit of watermelon and cantelope but it doesn't seem to affect me since I'm am still always in Ketosis. Maybe because I have so much too lose. I have lost weight but don't know how much because I'm too heavy for the normal scales. This is the first "diet" that I've been on that hasn't left me hungry all the time. But also a lot of my weight gain was because of emotional eating and Bulimia as a teenager. Now my metablolism needs a jumpstart which I think induction has done. I am planning on staying on induction for as long as I can maybe some days have 25 carbs. Even when I do eat a bit more carbs I seem to stay in ketosis so that is good.

Well I guess I'll quit rambling on.

Sandy
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 01:20

Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

I bet you need to up your water intake -
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Control Program
Stats: 170/170/145 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Living in the Great North does'nt help

Hi,

I agree with Itty also. Living here (in Toronto) this winter has been long and hard. Thankfully it's turned into a nice spring, but I think it takes my body longer to catch-up than it took for the tulips to bloom. I feel like a sloth still, but keep doing a light exercize routine.

I too get pains in my legs. I don't push the exercize too hard right now. When I have done enough, my body tells me. I sometimes break up my 20 minute routine into 4 five minute sets. I started taking calcium again a year ago, but had results in only a couple of weeks. I take Jamieson Mega Cal. Calcium/Magnesium with Vitamin D (the sunshine vitamin!). I take 3 a day (= about 1000mg of calcium).

I hope it works for you. I've been taking calcium for leg pain on and off for 29 years (ouch - am I that old?) and it has been a god send.

Good Luck!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 10:09

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Supplements are important, especially when your body is making such great adjustments in chemical and hormonal balances.

You might want to take a look at Swanson Health Products, online. We have found them to be good quality, very competitive in price, and excellent service on delivery.

Read Dr. Atkins regarding supplements. Protein Power is good also. And remember, it will takes months, or perhaps years, of paying attention to the needs of your body and adjusting as you go.

It is different for every person, and you have to figure out what works best for you.