Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 01:52

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Being underweight and still fat.

I read that was possible with *ruler* type figures and I quite believe it.(though no i'm not underweight myself)

My problem is about 98% of the weight i have left to lose is on my lower and upper abdomen yet I understand that when you lose you lose all over and there is no such thing as spot reduction.

So my delimma, I just can't see any other part of me that can afford to lose weight yet apparently this is what is going to happen until most of me is totally ravished and I'm thinking I'm STILL going to have this huge gut.

Is there any help for this. I've heard excercising those areas (my abs) only builds muscle under the fat...so can't see the point in that either. (i don't excercise at all..still lose though)

heeelp...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 03:10
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I've been taking Relacore since Monday and have lost 3 inches of my 'gut'. Maybe that's something you can consider.

www.relacore.com

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 03:22

BF:

omg A Wife that's amazing! Thanks for that link I think I'll try it. Up until now I've needed no extra help but now I'm getting down in weight I don't want to look like a *pregnant stringbean*
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 06:05

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife
I've been taking Relacore since Monday and have lost 3 inches of my 'gut'. Maybe that's something you can consider.

www.relacore.com

Good luck.

in a week? awesome!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 06:18

Plan: Atkins - Low-Cal
Stats: 145/128/120 Male 67 inches
BF:10%/5%/2%
Progress: 68%

I suffer too... I am underweight for my height, the docs say I should be around 145-155 lbs. somewhere around there. The thing is, my thighs are my trouble spot. Being 128 pounds and having your thighs still rub together slightly is very annoying. x_x I exercise occasionally but mainly don't because it causes the muscle to build in the inner thigh and make it worse. My body tends to want to build muscle when I want to have a thin (runner, biker) only type body. Not easy.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 06:21

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

People who earn their way to their goal weight should also be aware that their body will continue to redistribute the fat for at least 6 months. Amazing as it seems, your shape will change during this next 6 months. So work on your exercise program and keep on the low carb maintenance levels for your plan and things will change. Keep drinking lots of water too.

The scale is never the best measure of how you are doing, so take measurements or choose a pair of tight pants to try on every couple of weeks. DO NOT measure every day, or even every week. This is the way to drive yourself nuts.

Be patient with your body. It took you a fair while to get from starting weight to goal and it will take some more time to see the changes that are still to come. Don't despair.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 06:26

Maybe i'm destined to need liposuction in my inner thighs since exercise bulks them up and losing weight leaves hanging fat that won't go away. The main reason I wanted to lose weight was my thighs, i'm not 'chubby' anywhere else on my body, in fact, people say I look anorexic. My thighs make me feel fat though. Urgh...
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 06:55
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I understand what you are saying. I am now wearing a size 4 and I can still see the extra weight on my stomach and upper thighs and yes butt. But I have also come to realize that this is not so much extra weight as it is extra skin. If I grab hold of my side and up it up like a loose pair of pants, I look great . Never seen my thighs or stomach look so good. Dam, then I let it go . I am hoping time and exercise will help tighten everything up. OR at least transfer it up to my chest which is no longer there.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 07:00

That's the thing with me too, I look great in tight clothing and such, like when I am standing I look really good, it's just kinda hanging there on my thighs. Could it be just extra skin then? Pfft. I don't want it. :P
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 07:01
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I think alot of mine is loose skin from 4 pregnancies. I look great with clothing on, but undies or a swimsuit, yikes. Tofi made a great point above though, about our bodies redistributing fat for up to 6 months after you reach goal. I never knew that!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 07:04

BF:

thanks for all the other comments in here so far.

i'm pretty sure i've a lot of fat stored around my tummy not skin...but no doubt if i lost the fat then yes...i'd still have lose skin. 3 c-sections didn't help either.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 09:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, thighs and hips are always a problem for me. For women, it truly is a genetic thing. That is our fat that our body hoards for nursing babies. Unfortunately, my body hasn't heard me telling it "You don't need it, we aren't going to have any babies".
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 10:01

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

You can also try Pilates for the abdominals. The exercises really work the abdominals without adding bulk, think "long and lean"

I have the same problem - my middle went from 28 inches to 55 inches around during my last pregnancy, I have the "mother lode" of stretched belly skin.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 10:13

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictmeHM
Maybe i'm destined to need liposuction in my inner thighs since exercise bulks them up and losing weight leaves hanging fat that won't go away. The main reason I wanted to lose weight was my thighs, ...

i hear ya talking girl. I too have 23 inch thighs and a 27 inch waist (does that sound like a pear shape or what?) I think once I hit goal, tone up and I still can start a fire with the thighs (due to the rubbing) I will have the fat sucked out! I think after the hard work I've done to get to this point I deserve it.

Maybe I will try the pills Lily is taking for my gut. I have the start of a 4 pack. I would have a six pack if it wasn't for that darn GUT!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 10:48

I'm a male, by the way.