Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 16:59

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default No more "Pink" on stick. Why?

Atkins Induction day 15----

I took a Keotsis stick reading as I usually do around this same time and today.... NEGATIVE.....NADA!! beige - no more Pink. I usually was between trace and moderate readings.

I have NOT cheated and stayed within the 20 charbs. On day I did only 5 and another 13 - but the other days 20. I have followed carefully and increased water and I just do not get it.

Does this mean that I need to do Induction all over again?

Advice would be helpful here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 17:49
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Sticks can go bad sometimes. Maybe you got a bad stick. Also, drinking lots of water can make the color go lighter. Sometimes exercise will use up your ketones so they do not get sent out in urine. There are many variables. The truth of the matter is that you do not need the sticks, they can give you an uplift sometimes of "I am in ketosis, I am losing fat" but more often then not people just get frustrated by them. If you have been following your plan then keep following your plan. One bad stick shouldn't ruin the whole induction, especially when they are rather unreliable anyways.

Good luck!

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 18:40

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

I can't figure out why anyone uses Ketostix when they don't seem to tell you anything reliable. If they show no trace then you can be drinking a lot of water; if they go dark purple then you're not drinking enough. I go by the taste in my mouth and that seems to work for me. And by all means don't think you've ruined your Induction because of what one lame Ketostick has told you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 19:36

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Taken from your Journal, Pam:

Quote:
Breath, Pam Ketostix are a guide, and just a guide. Many people never register on them and continue to lose weight. The presence of ketone bodies in your urine are the result of a 'spill' over of excess that is not used by your body; if you've used up everything then there will be nothing to spill over and thus register on the stix. Also, the production of ketone bodies for fuel is not constant; think of it like your furnace in your home - it comes on when it's needed, it does not run 24/7. Don't let a little piece of plastic rule your life.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 20:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I had 3 weeks in a row where my stix would not turn. there were days were I was eating 25 grams of carbs but then other where I know for 5 days in a row I was only eating 10. I didnt increase or decrease my water consumption during that time. I have noticed for me my hormones play a big role as to how they were turning. Also the amount of fat U eat in the meal previous can determine if they turn or not. I wouldnt worry about them, just keep doing what U are doing.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 20:28

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thank you so much!!!

I get it......... it shouldn't run my life.

I am trying to get this right --- I want to get rid of this fat on me.

So, I am following the rules, eating right, drinking myself silly with water, asking millions of questions and I tried using the
sticks..... I do as I am told.. (hah - lol)

So, I will use the sticks from time to time just to check....

Thanks for the quick responses and everyone have a great,
super LC Thanksgiving.

Pam
A Thin Me!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 01:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Did you change the time of day you took a reading? That can also make a difference.

Karen