Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%
Default sweetner advice please on Induction.

Hello
I have read DANDR and know the main thought about artificial sweetners.
I know that Aspartame is a no no.

I know that DANDR recommends Splenda (Sucralose) or Stevia.

Unfortunately, living in Luxembourg, neither is available to me here.

I mainly do induction levels and find it is pretty hard to even get to 20 carbs eating only whole food and salads. Now, I am thinking to add some berries and would like some whipped cream sweetened with something.

I was at the store and all I could find that was not with Aspartame was some liquid sweetner with a saccahrin base.

My question would be if this would be ok on induction? And if it is, have other people found that it could stall them the same way the SF Jello stalls them?

Please let me know your experiences.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 09:25

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Melissa, Be wary of aspartame. It does stall some people, myself included. I do have a one diet coke per day and that so far hasnt been a problem. But I would do on online search. Im sure you could get Splenda shipped to you. It would be worth it IMHO. Good luck!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 09:37

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

At least while on induction, I would try to avoid them all. The artificial sweeteners can make your crave real sugar.

I did the first 3 weeks without any sweeteners and I still have absolutely no craving for anything sweet.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 11:15

Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

I am thanking those who have replied, but I think perhaps I did not word it right.

I have no intention to take aspartame sweetner.

I do induction levels, but not really on induction if I would be adding berries of course. I find I stay on induction levels purely because I cant get enough carbs on whole foods here. I dont have any access to any LC junk etc.

My question is concerning the sweetner I did find to buy here.
It is a saccharin based liquid.

Do you think this would be ok?
Does anyone have any info on using saccharin?
And if using the saccharin, have other people found that it could stall them the same way the SF Jello (aspartme) can stall them?

I am sorry I was not so clear.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 12:47

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I have been using saccharin liquid in moderation (only in my decaf coffee). I get the Sweet N Low kind. It has not stalled me at all. I actually prefer the taste of saccharin to aspartame anyhow. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 15:46

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

HeMe2kids: I really cannot see why saccharin should automatically stall you, and if it was the only sweetener around, I'd use it. A little. I'm not big on adding sugar to stuff, but I have access to all kinds of low carb candies and stuff here so it's a different thing for me.

I know, if you want, I can send you a box of splenda/sucrolose just in case you try the saccharin and it stalls you. Let me know if you want me to send a box. It's light, so it shouldn't cost much to ship. Just send me a personal message.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 15:48

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

heMe2kids: oops, I just realized. I actually got a ton of pure stevia from my food coop by accident, so I can send that if you want. It will be a century by the time I get through the huge bag of it!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 19:41
Registered Member

Stats: 200/180/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

If you can't get it locally, try ordering on the internet. I wanted liquid sucralose to avoid the 1 carb per teaspoon of Splenda. I found the only way to get it was to order from LoCarber.com. I'm sure you can find a company that will ship to your country. Just another thought--the flavored syrups used by most expresso stands can be purchased in a lot of stores. DaVinci is one brand that uses sucralose and there are other brands. You can use these syrups to sweeten most anything. Just read the labels to be sure you're getting the sweetener you want. Atkins also sells flavored syrups made with sucralose. You can probably order from their website.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

Saccharin is ok by Atkins. It is known as Sweet-N-low.