Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 17:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Question 2 questions - bacon and avocado

I'm struggling so hard with increasing my fat intake to increase the calories. There's only so much butter or olive oil that is palatble drizzled over stuff. My questions:

Is pan fried bacon better than microwaved for fat? Microwaved crispy bacon is awfully dry, and most of the fat gets absorbed in the paper towel.

Are avocados a source of "good" fat. They appear to be calorie laden, and have carbs that need to be accounted for. Is it worth adding a bit of that. A 2 oz slice is 100 calories and 2.4 carbs, and way more if pureed.

I've tried adding more real mayonaise (Hellman's) because it has no carbs according to the Complete Book of Food Counts, but quite frankly, I have always hated the taste of mayonaise, and that hasn't changed. I prefer Miracle Whip (full fat) which has some carbs.

Cheese is a good source of protein and fat, but too much (which I have been over indulging in) can be a slower-downer.

I'm taking flax seed oil in capsule form now, 1000mg 3 times a day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/164/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

avocado is an excellent source of 'good fat' - and yes, you will have to watch the carb count.

If you want a great high protein/high fat dish, try scrambled eggs with hollandaise sauce (homeade) - it's nothing but butter, eggs/egg yolks & a little lemon juice - barely a carb in sight. if you don't have a recipe, i can give you one.

dishes like this are my favourite thing about LC - getting to eat all those foods that i had previously deemed forever 'forbidden'

#3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 18:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%

Thanks engineergirl for the tip.

I'm not really fussy on eggs other than hardboiled, unless the taste and textxture can be disguised. When I had no choice but scrambled eggs, I used to smother them in ketchup. Maybe the hollandaise sauce will do the same trick without the junk in ketchup. Will check out my cookbooks for a hollandaise recipe. It's worth a try.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 19:21
Registered Member

BF:
Wink

if you can get into the hollandaise (i LOVE it) - it would be great on chicken/fish, or anything for that matter
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 00:07

Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I second --- for the receipe for Hollandaise... sounds delish!!!! And any others.. you have have up your sleeve....

Helps break up the monotony....

Thanks.....Ramona
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 06:37
Registered Member

Stats: 213/197/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Default Hollandaise Sauce? Flax seed oil?

I would like the recipe for Hollandaise Sauce if you don't mind sending it. Thanks.
I hear mention a couple of times of flax seed oil what is this for and why would I want to take it? Thanks Susan
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 09:27

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

For healthy skin and coat...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 09:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Hollandaise Sauce? Flax seed oil?

Quote:
Originally posted by Susanjoyce
I hear mention a couple of times of flax seed oil what is this for and why would I want to take it?

Flaxseed oil is a great source of EFA (essential fatty acids) particularly Omega 3, which our diets are difficient in. We tend to have way too much Omega 6 and not enough O-3. Omega-6 oils (promote inflammation, blood clotting), which include linolenic and gamma-linolenic acid, are found primarily in raw nuts, seeds, legumes, borage oil, grape seed oil, primrose oil, sesame oil and soybean oil. Omega-3 EFA's (work in opposition to Omega 6), including alpha-linolenic acid, are found in fresh deepwater fish, fish oil and certain vegetable oils such as canola, flaxseed and walnut oils. Many scientists believe that a major reason for the high incidence of heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, premature aging, and some forms of cancer is the profound imbalance between our intake of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. Our ancestors evolved on a diet with a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 of about 1:1. A massive change in dietary habits over the last few centuries has changed this ratio to something closer to 20:1. As such supplmenting with Omega 3 oils is a necessity.

EFA's do not tolerate heat well, so in order to benefit from them you must either take them in supplement form or without processing or cooking. Heating them will not only destroy them, but convert them into dangerous free radicals.

The list of benefits to be gained from maintaining a healthy diet of balanced omega-3 and omega-6 fats is quite long:
Quote:
* Correct regulation of hormone synthesis. * Correct immune system response to pain, inflammation and swelling. * Correct direction of endocrine hormones to their target cells * Correct regulation of cellular reproduction. * Necessary for transport of oxygen from the red blood cells to all bodily tissues. * Regulation of kidney function and fluid balance. * Prevent blood cells from clumping together, which is a significant factor in artherosclerotic plaque. * Mediate the release of inflammatory substances that may trigger allergic conditions. * Regulation of nerve transmission. * Primary source of energy for the heart muscle. * Manipulation of Prostaglandin metabolism, a factor in many PMS symptoms.

For more detailed information along with supplement guidelines check out this article .

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 11:54
Registered Member

BF:
Smile hollandaise recipe

Here is a link to Sara Moulton's recipe for Hollandaise Sauce (of Gourmet Magazine). Her recipe is essentially identical to mine (i don't have the recipe with me right now), which is the 'classic' hollandaise. You can also make it in a blender; you mix the egg yolk mixture together in the blender & then drizzle in the melted butter.

If your sauce separates, add a few drops of hot water to re-stabilize it.

http://www.foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/0,6255,8981,00.html
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 22:36
Registered Member

Stats: 213/197/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Default Thanks

Thank you for the recipe for the Hollandaise Sauce! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 10:38
Registered Member

BF:

thanks susan, & you're welcome for the recipe - i already had a great thanksgiving - we're too impatient here in canada to wait until november

happy thanksgiving to you