Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 23:23

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

no, no no, ya'll are bigger rockers, but enough said. nat- what's the sunscreen poem?
i did not have any structured workout today. walked 1 1/2 miles to pick up J & S, 4 trips to the laundry room, general cleaning. will cardio tomorrow then weights on Saturday.
brenda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 07:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The poem would be too long to list in its entirety, but here's a snippet and a link :

Quote:
Do one thing every day that scares you.
Sing
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
Floss.
Don't waste time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
Keep your old love letters.
Throw away your old bank statements.
Stretch.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.
Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.
Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either.
Your choices are half change. So are everybody else's.
Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.
Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.
Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good.
Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on to.

Nat
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 18:36

today i ran for 4 miles, and was quite amazed at how much easier it is getting. i was hoping that i could go longer, but M was bored and hungry.
my abs have been a bit sore, i used bf's abdoer or something like that on wednesday. can't wait to do it again, i love that i "feel the burn".
brenda
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 12:48

Default time off

well, i took all my workout clothes with me, but did not even have time to run. the hotel had a workout room and everything. so, i took some time off. took tues. off too, but got back on the treadmill yesterday. the treadmill helps my mood, for some reason, i can work on my problems better when i'm running. maybe because i'm running (away from problems) but solving them at the same time. who knows, it works for me.
weight training:

shoulder press: 1x20~10lbs, 1x15~20, 1x10~30.
leg extensions: 1x20~20lbs, 1x15~30, 1x10~40.
chest press: 1x20~10lbs, 1x20~20, 1x20~30
leg curl: 1x20~15lbs, 1x15~15, 1x10~20
dumbell curl: 3x20~10lbs
tricep pull-down:2x20~20lbs,1x15~30
calf lift: 3x20~100
arm curl: 3x20~10 lbs, each
lat pull down: 3x20~30lbs.
didn't do abs, but will do them today.
brenda.
p.s. fern, dan or nat - i'm interested in the iday of hiit, but if i'm working towards decreasing my time in races, is this for me? just thought i'd ask ya'll first. thanks
b
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 13:02

BF:
Default Re: time off

Quote:
Originally posted by itsjoyful
i'm interested in the iday of hiit, but if i'm working towards decreasing my time in races, is this for me?

Bren, I think HIIT is the best thing going in terms of aerobic activity:
  • interval training contributes greatly to your aerobic performance, and has also been found to improve the neurological pathways your body uses for recruiting muscle fibers.

Quote:
Exercise has two functions: one is to trigger metabolic adaptation, and the other is to do mechanical work. Both expend a lot of energy, and if you want to burn a lot of fat, you want to take advantage of both. The short-duration, high intensity stuff triggers adaptation (muscle gain, enzyme changes, cellular reorganization, lactate tolerance, cardiovascular improvement). You burn fat afterward in order to replace muscle glycogen. The longer duration, lower intensity aerobic activity (breathing deeply but still "conversational") allows you to create an energy demand that burns fat then and there. If you include both types, without overtraining, you're going to lose fat fast.

It's only been 2 days of HIIT for me thus far, Brenda, but Wow do you ever feel then and later that day.

Nat
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 13:13

nat - you are so fast!!!
i get that, and during my running i do 6 & 7 mph sprints, but if my "goal" is to work on my time (increasing my mph) for significant distances (10 - 12k) then what's my approach? i don't want to not burn fat, but i'm wondering if i can distance train and burn quantities of fat at the same time.
bren..........
ya' know what, i just re-read your reply, and i really think you did answer the question. i'm so distracted lately, that it's taking me twice as long to process information. bear with me. and thanks again
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 13:18

BF:

Quote:
i'm wondering if i can distance train and burn quantities of fat at the same time.

ya' know what, i just re-read your reply, and i really think you did answer the question. i'm so distracted lately, that it's taking me twice as long to process information. bear with me. and thanks again

*lol* No problemo, Brenda. We've all been there, I call them my blonde days.

To answer your first question, I'd say 'no' assuming 'distance training' involves distance running in preparation. You'll improve your aerobic capacity, heart rate, lung capacity etc, but burning fat is done best by weight training and HIIT. Extensive aerobic conditioning is actually bad for you (negatively impacts your immune system and causes you to lose LBM)

Nat
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:49

Default thurs/fri

thursday was a down day, didn't do any activity other than the regular running around/after (girls).
friday, i did get off my butt and run for 40 min. did some slow and some fast. what i really need is a program specifically for me to include distance training and strength training. sometimes i feel like i'm just wingin' it. that's not such a bad thing though, since i always feel better after.
today, i will run and strength train. the girls are with their dad, so i have a lot of time.
brenda
nat - i dyed my hair more red today, so now what should i call them?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 18:54

BF:
Default Re: thurs/fri

Quote:
nat - i dyed my hair more red today, so now what should i call them?

*lol* "Lucky"

I've tried dying my hair red, by about 5 days later I look like a red head who dyed her hair blonde, it just washes out. My hair holds nothing.

There's an article in Muscle Media magazine (december issue) about HIIT; "Guerrila Cardio 2" quite interesting and very intense and it speaks specifically about 3 different types of cardio and how to go about trying this routine with them, running is one of them. You might be interested.

Nat
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 19:54

Default hope it sticks

i too, have that problem, but i'm hopeful this time.
thank you for the info on the mag. article. i will research tomorrow.
today, i did strength graining. i must admit, i am starting to get CUT. not in a major way, but i'm happy with the results. makes me want to do it every day even though i realize it's counter productive. so today:

same as the previous days, only did this ab thing that was pretty cool. you balance on your thighs on this "stand" and bend at the waist all the way down, then cross your arms, and pull yourself up. quite a work out and it eliminates the problem i have with getting a sore neck with crunches. also there is a "stand" you rest your elbows on with a back support and pull your legs up. i did that too, but it was harder.
feeling good, going out to dinner now.
brenda
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 13:01

Default 11/19

sunday - took a day of rest. bf was sick, so i did a lot of computer research and reading. protein power is my new bible and the eades are my new best friends. i should change my plan in the profile!
ran today for 50 min. (4.3 miles) have to admit my abs are still a bit tight from sat. work out.
nat - i wet to muscle media on line and that article is not online, but went looking around and discovered that bfl and distance/time training are difficult and/or impossible to do at the same time.
i fear not running so much. i'm afraid i'll get lazy. strength training is amazing, though. i've never felt so powerful.
well, off to get the girls
brenda
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 19:33

Default 11/20

did strength training today. did it on an empty stomach (except for 1 cup coffee), and it was a bit harder than most days. here goes:
shoulder press: 1setx20repsx10lbs, 1x15x20, 1x20x30
leg extensions: 1x20x20,1x15x30,1x10x40
chest press: 1x20x20,1x15x30,1x10x40
leg curl 1x20x15,1x15x20,1x10x25
dumbell curl 3x20x10
tricep pull down: (could not finish thest) 3x20x20
calf lift: 3x20x90
arm cur:l 3x20x10
abs: 3x8 standing 3x20, bending forward
lat pull: 3x20x30
feeling pretty good, rollerbladed to get the girls
brenda
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 20:49

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default Incorporating HIIT into a race training schedule

itsjoyful,

Using HIIT (intervals/speed work) is reccomended if you are trying to increase your race time. Limit it to once day per week, since you are also trying to increase your distance at the same time.

I coached runners (marathoners) for 3 years, having been one myself in a previous version of myself. Let me see if I can dig up my link to the advanced program I used for my runners ....

OK. I checked and I don't have it on the site. Just the walking program and the 5K program ... But I have the full program on my hard drive.

If you want it, I could e-mail it to you. PM your e-mail info to me.

I would post it all up here, but it is formatted with tables and they don't copy over well here.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 16:35

Default 11/21

thank you dan. i did pm you for the file. i appreciate your helping me out.

today i ran for 3 miles. i ran on an almost empty stomach, 1oz cheese about 2 hr. prior. i think my problem is that i waited till 1 p.m. and just didn't have enough energy. taking tomorrow off for a feast that will satisfy for a year, then starting project 2.
bren
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 19:58

Default 11/22 & 11/23

ate and laid in bed. does that count for anything? well, i took Thursday off.
11/23
strength training.
did regular work out. was a bit strenuous. i really have a harder time working out w/o eating beforehand.
i am going to try to get the hycroxycut this weekend and see if it makes a difference.
i'm getting a bit frustrated because my body is staying at the same weight and size. it's very familiar with it's current status and does not want to budge. i am doing the project 2 to try and make a difference.
brenda