Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 16:43

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Why so much water??

I am only 11 days into the WOE and am curious as to why we need so much water to drink everyday? I was told another 8ox. per 25 lbs. that I want to lose. That means I need to drink 88 oz. of water a day.
What does all this water do, and is there such a thing as drinking too much water???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 16:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

There probably is such a thing as drinking too much water, especially if you do it very rapidly, but I think only when we're talking gallons! (I'm sure someone who actually knows will correct this if it's wrong.)

As for why -- the quick answer is that it flushes out fat and toxins. It lubricates everything inside, it makes your skin look better and your system work better.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 17:33

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%

I think I started a thread or responded to a thread about water and Nat listed a very good response about...I'll look for it.

But...there's such thing as drinking too much and rapidly is bad too. I want the details. I drink 5-7 Liters a day and 4.5L is a gallon...is that too much. Plus I proably drink some liters in less than a hour (while I'm in class, I make it a challenge to drink a full 1L water bottle by the end). Any info would be great.

I'll look for that thread,
E
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 17:40

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Default This is some info...

This is what Nat told me after I was concerned that all I was losing was waterweight (b/c I was drinking sooo much):

Quote:
Fat cells hate to change so when you lose body fat they will compensate by holding onto water. It is necessary that you drink your 64 oz and then some every day to force the fat cells to let go of that extra water (resulting in a whoosh). Moral of the story is twofold: Be sure to drink your water and don't let minor weight fluctuations get you down (after all 3 lbs is minor when you take into account what you're lost already and what you're going to lose over time)

And LC Sponge wrote this about water weight/loss:
Quote:
And the bottom line is, drinking a steady and appropriate amount every day WILL contribute to weight loss. Drinking a lot one day and then little for the next 2 days, etc etc, just makes your body believe you are living in the desert and are moving from oasis to oasis - so it's going to try and hold onto the water it has. Make your body believe that water is plentiful and never ending, and it will be less likely to retain any.

Hope this helps...I still want to know about the too much H2O...

E
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 17:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: This is some info...

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin4980
Hope this helps...I still want to know about the too much H2O...

It's called Water Intoxication and it involves drinking LOTS of water, as in more than a normal person could manage. 88 oz is not excessive, Kassy.

Here's the link

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ND+Intoxication

Btw, you should be drinking 64oz of water regardless of whether you're LCing or not, your body is over 60% water, think about it. You have to replace what is used up somehow.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 23:22

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Talking

Thank you for the information- I didn't think that I was drinking too much- but wanted to make sure-
Boy all of you have so much information- there are not enough hours in the day to absorb every thread that I want to read!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 07:34
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Benifits

The Water helps with alot of things, if you drink over two liters of water you will notice:
1. You are more awake.
2. Joints hurt less
3. Skin clears up, eyes are bright
4. You swell up less, not so bloated
5. Makes cold go quickly
6. You don't get as much dry mouth when
you sleep.

Hmm I think that is it, is there any more Nat? Karen? Doreen?