Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 17:41
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%
Default help...bingeing.

alright...i am in the beginning of a binge and i am afraid i won't be able to stop. what am i eating?? egg salad. but i have a bunch of low carb goodies lurking in the kitchen. my boyfriend and i had a fight (my fault) last night and i haven't heard from him today. i hate this part of me that wants food when i am sad.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 17:55
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

WALK AWAY FROM THE FOOD.

You CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!! Focus. Go clean something, this ALWAYS works for me.

You CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:10

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Hang in there. And give yourself credit. At least the first thing you didn't reach for was a box of chocolates. You went for what you should have gone for- egg salad. Hopefully the mayo and the eggs will fill you up before you get to those goodies. Drink alot of water and if that doesn't sound good then drink some dietrite, anything that will fill up your tummy before you dive into the goodies. that's what I do, then if you do have one..limit yourself and say...It's ok cuz it's LC and I'm not going to eat a whole box cuz then it'd be high carb. Take the guilt out of it by allowing yourself a small treat then say, OK it's time to stop before it becomes high carb. Think about WHY you're sad. If it's over a fight with this guy, then do you want to gain weight and make yourself feel worse? No guy is worth punishing yourself over. If it was your fault then you need to forgive yourself, we all make mistakes. Believe me, my DH and I have had our fair share of fights over the past 10 years. We all deal with it differently. I'd go to Toys R US and buy the kids toys when I was sad but now I have a messy house full of toys to deal with. I didn't get fat from that but I sure made things worse for me around the house. I think it made me feel like I was getting him back by spending his hard earned money on things we didn't need. You need to do something constructive, like go work out to release the stress or write a letter to vent, even if you never give it to him it will help you let go of some anger/hurt/stress. And most of all, try not to worry. Remember, Action conquers fear!!! Good luck, Annie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:53
Registered Member

Hey thanks. Right after I posted this I put away the egg salad, went upstairs and took a long hot shower, and washed and blow dried my hair (usually I just throw it in a ponytail, wet, so that was my treat).
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:07

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Good for you. I recall Dr. A said something in his book about the fact that (and this is in my own words cuz I don't have time to look it up, gotta go bbq some steak) people don't eat eggs like they eat cookies cuz the protein/fat fills them up too fast. It's not as easy to sit down and eat a carton of them as it is to eat a box of cookies. Good job!!! YOU DID IT!!! I used to have long hair and throw mine in a ponytail too sometimes, but I liked the fact that somehow when I had it long the shadow of it on my face made me appear to have cheekbones (and I was so heavy you couldn't see them) so I liked it. Now that I've lost some weight, I can have my short & Sassy style again. Phew, it's nice to have it cool for the Summer coming up. Annie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:13
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Turning to food or alchohol is what got me in a mess to begin with. Did alot of damage to myself.Life is getting better
Angel
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:13

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

I can honesty say I'm an emotional eater. Dont worry, your not alone. I heard someone say once, Food isnt our friend or our partner, its our fuel. Makes sense and means alot to me at least. hehe This is something VERY hard to break. I still havent conquered it, but when I do eat and for you, at least we are eating high protein and fats that will really satisfy us! That ice cream and cake just leaves us with a temporary buzz. =) Hang in there!
Brittany
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:16
Registered Member

I have had problems with drugs and drinking too....it is just hard not to turn to things you have turned to in the past for comfort. I haven't had sugar in 3 weeks and I haven't had "other" substances in probably 6 weeks. It feels like longer though.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 20:36

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

Sounds to me like you did (and are doing) AWESOME! =) I totally understand the emotional comfort of food and using it as a control when you feel like you may not have any. A friend of mine says "Eat to live, not Live to Eat" and I always try to think of that when things are rough. Hang in there!! Hope everything is patched up with your boyfriend too
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 21:27
Registered Member

Thank you.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 22:07

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

The best revenge is success. Stay on your eating plan & you will feel so much better. You've accomplished so much already, the only one you'll hurt (by hitting the lo-carb garbage) is yourself. You can do this...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 03:03
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

I suggest you start a journal...It will give people a place to go as you meet them on the board. It will also be a place where you can write up your thoughts. I find doing it a bit theraputic...even though I prob spelled it wrong!!..

Great job resisting temptation...wow..that's a BIG step!!

GL on your continued LC journey.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 06:28

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hang in there. You handled yourself great! We all have moments of weakness, and I think we all, or at least alot of us, are emotional eaters. I know I am . But we all just have to keep on trying. Each day is a new day and we are all here for each other!!!! {{{{{{{ hugs}}}}}}}}
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm sorry to hear this

When I am sad or stressed I too want to binge. What helps me most, ironically enough, is not to obsess over how much I eat during this time. If I just let myself go with it and give myself permission to eat as much as I want, I will usually eat less than I otherwise would have.

Best of all, if I use only Atkins food, the binge will only be something like 2k calories which isn't all that bad.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 11:13
Registered Member

I am glad (but sad) to know I am not alone in this. Addiction is hard. I know. I have gotten through a lot of them. I am so happy this board is here.