Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/200.5/140 Female 5'4
BF:37.3%/?/22%
Progress: 42%
Question Anti-depressants and weight loss??

Hi,

I am on the anti-depressant Wellbutrin. I have read in the Atkins book that some antidepressants can prevent weight loss, but Wellbutrin was not listed as one of them. Does anyone know if this one also prevents it?

One more question-----can you eat sugar free jello gelatin with a little whipped cream during the induction phase?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 15:01

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

I'm on wellbutrin too. It is one of the only anti-depressants that doesn't supposedly cause weight gain. And it certainly has a stimulant effect for me. I've looked at a lot of medication websites and the general consensus is that wellbutrin is the best for not interfering with your diet. When I first started, it totally killed my appetite for a few days.

Atkins says you can have sugar free jello on induction. Just make sure your whipped cream doesn't have sugar in it. It's best (IMO) to whip your own with additive free heavy cream.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 16:23

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am not on wellbutrin, but prosac.....and though I think It might slow mine down, it hasn't stopped me from losing

I am also feeling so great thinking of trying to go off

I hope cause I am ready to feel 100% again...but if not no big deal I can handle slow weight loss instead of the alternate LOL
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 16:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 159/127/105 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

I'm on remeron and it has caused me to gain when taking it but thankfully I can say it seems not to be hindering my progress. The tip that someone gave me was to take my med with a high fat snack or meal to help lesson the effects and not mess with the medication in the pill.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 22:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm on welbutrin as well. They tried switching me to effexor and I had all kinds of problems. I also went off plan. I went back on Welbutrin since I do so much better on it. Unfortunetly I havn't been able to get fully back on plan yet.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 05:45
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I was actually put on Wellbutrin 2 years ago to HELP with my weightloss and still lost 26lbs (I went off of it when I got pregnant and never went back on). Wellbutrin is a drug that affects serotonin levels, the other anti depressants don't. This is why it shouldn't affect your weight loss and may help it. In contrast, I was on Zoloft for 6 years and could NOT lose weight at all, just kept gaining until a year after I went off of it.

melissa
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 06:37
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'm on zoloft right now and am averaging nearly 3/lb of loss a week, so I think it really just has to do with your body chemistry.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 06:50
overeasy

BF:

That may be so Brenda, but Zoloft and Wellbutrin work totally different from one another. That's the point I was trying to get across.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 06:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction - 5/5
Stats: 253.5/204/166 Female 62
BF:46%/39%/25%
Progress: 57%
Default you're ok :)

Wellbutrin is a weight neutral medication. It will not cause you to gain weight at all and will only moderately slow your weight loss - it's a wonderful drug with very few negative side effects, so you should be just fine!

Good luck!

Stacie

(PS - if you want more info, I can look it up in my drug book for you!)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 08:22
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel92
That may be so Brenda, but Zoloft and Wellbutrin work totally different from one another. That's the point I was trying to get across.

Err, was this a reply to me? (I'm assuming it must be, since I'm the only one who replied between your two posts... but I could be confused. )

Anyways, yes. All medications work differently, but they also work differently for different people. I gained weight on Wellbutrin and lost weight on Zoloft, so I just meant that what prevents weight loss in one person (or assists, for that matter) may not do the same in someone else.

Or I could just be a mutant and the only person who had problems with Wellbrutin and loses easily on Zoloft.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 08:44
overeasy

BF:

Brenda, I probably took your first reply post personally because it was right after mine, sorry about that! Anyhow, I wasn't trying to say you're wrong or anything like that. I do think it is unusual that you gained on Wellbutin tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breecita
Or I could just be a mutant and the only person who had problems with Wellbrutin and loses easily on Zoloft.

a mutant....LOL
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 10:49

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I've been on lexapro for three years or more - since just before atkins - and it hasn't affected my weight loss.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 13:11
Registered Member

Stats: 245/200.5/140 Female 5'4
BF:37.3%/?/22%
Progress: 42%

Thanks everyone, it is very reassuring to know that the Wellbutrin shouldn't hinder my weight loss! In fact, I weighed myself for the first time since I started, and I've lost 4 1/2 lbs.!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 20:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/145/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

Lexapro. So far so good (knock on wood )
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:00

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I was sooooo glad to find this thread. I am now on Welbutrin and was VERY nervous that it was affecting my weight loss. For some reason I am retaining water horribly!!!!! My tummy looks 5-6 month pregnant all of the suden! I weighed 136.5 this am down from 138.5 the last several days...bloat still there.
Tomorrow when we go to the beach I hope they don't mistake me for a beached whale!