Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 06:58
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I get the ketchup at Path Mark. My Shop Rite doesnt carry it.

The sugar alcohols you can get at a health food store.

The Twist Hazelnut Spread I found at a store in Westchester NY called sugar free express, but my neighbor told me she was able to get some locally. That suffed knocked me out of ketosis almost instantly. I still have a container of the stuff here. I refuse to touch it.

The hazelnut butter you can make yourself with a food processor, or try whole foods. They usually have all kinds of nut butters.

Wal Mart supposedly carries SF honey, but its loaded with SAs (which dont seem to bother you based on your list)

I dont know the brand name, but in the locations area of this board in the US section there is a post from someone in NJ who wants to split the cost of a case of SF honey. That might be of some interest to you.

I dont remember the post, but it had something with Jersey on the subject line.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The Twist Hazelnut Spread I found at a store in Westchester NY called sugar free express, but my neighbor told me she was able to get some locally. That suffed knocked me out of ketosis almost instantly. I still have a container of the stuff here. I refuse to touch it.

Westchester is a bit of trip for me. If you get a chance could you ask your neighbor where she bought hers? I adore Nutella/Godiva open oysters/Belgian sea shells/Anything with hazelnuts and chocolate, so finding this would be quite a coup. I'm curious, are you going to finish your container?

Quote:
Wal Mart supposedly carries SF honey, but its loaded with SAs (which dont seem to bother you based on your list)

I seem to do okay with SAs. As long as I don't overdo it or eat them on an empty stomach, I'm okay. I do count them as carbs, though. The one thing I've noticed about SAs is that if I eat tiny amounts of them regularly, I can build up a tolerance and they cause me no digestive upset.

Quote:
I dont know the brand name, but in the locations area of this board in the US section there is a post from someone in NJ who wants to split the cost of a case of SF honey. That might be of some interest to you.

I dont remember the post, but it had something with Jersey on the subject line.

That was me
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 13:56

Plan: my own
Stats: 200/190/150 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress:

Scott,

I saw brief mention in a health magazine of a product called Z Trim which is apparently a fat and/or flour replacer in certain recipes. It is apparently made from corn bran or corn fiber, I think.

Thought you might be interested in it.

Your list is intriguing. Do you plan on making some kind of dessert with the gelatin sheets?

Barefoot
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 17:18

BF:

Z trim might be something similar to thicken/thin. I'll keep my eye out for that.

My primary purpose for obtaining gelatin sheets is to extend the quantity of my stocks a bit. My stocks usually have an abundance of flavor but are lacking in body. By the time I reduce them to the desired consistency, there's very little volume left. Gelatin should stretch them a bit. Chef friends have told me that the flavor of sheet gelatin is superior to powdered, so I'm giving it a shot. Besides using gelatin in stock, I'm not absolute sure what I'll be doing with it but I'm sure it will come in handy for other things. Sauces perhaps.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/176/150 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress:

Scott,

Would adding body to the reduced stock, using the gelatin, allow you to use it as a sauce - say over the meat and side vegetables?

You can probably tell I am a novice cook here!

Barefoot
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 08:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot51
Scott,

Would adding body to the reduced stock, using the gelatin, allow you to use it as a sauce - say over the meat and side vegetables?

You can probably tell I am a novice cook here!

Barefoot

Barefoot,

The body providing constituent of stock is naturally occuring gelatin, so you don't have to add any gelatin to make a sauce. Just reduce your stock until it thickens. This is called a demi-glace.

A good stock/demi-glace hinges on the proportions of texture providing naturally occuring gelatin verses the flavor providing maillard reaction compounds. Texture vs. flavor. If I have a stock with too much flavor, and I add water, I will lose the silky texture/mouthfeel. To compensate, I can add gelatin.

You bring up an interesting point, though. Can an unreduced stock be combined with powdered or sheet gelatin to make a sauce? If your stock has enough flavor in it, perhaps. I plan on doing some experimenting with it. Perhaps gelatin can be used as a thickener in addition to the more expensive xantham and guar gums.