Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 04:05

Plan: Carnivoire
Stats: 373.6/373.6/150.0 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Help with cutting the budget!!!

Not exactly new to atkins or the boards. I was doing atkins for 10 months when money problem hit. Unfortunately the only way I could see to help the family budget was to go OFF atkins. I can feed myself and my DH for under a pound a day when NOT on atkins (pasta and rice are very cheap). But I feel awful and have started gaining the weight back. I want to go back on atkins and My DH will eat anything so I don't have to make seperate meals, But I can't find enough variety of things to make inexpensively on atkins. Meat is VERY expensive here. I shop wholesale (costco) but it still doesn't help much. Any suggestions on some inexpensive LC foods so I can get back on? I want to feel good again, it's not even the wight loss I'm wanting but the energy and being able to sleep through the night and just generally feeling good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Meggen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 04:37
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

H&B do a variety of protein powders which might help you get your protein in while still having rice etc. For a lot of people, increasing the protein means that the carbs don't bother them as much and they don't get a massive weight regain. If DH isn't having problems high-carbing, then he wouldn't have to have the protein supplements. I use their "Body Fortress" range on my bodybuilding program and the value is pretty good IF you get them on the half price sale (about £12 for roughly a kilo of it...takes 2 scoops to make a shake...much better value than the Atkins shake mix).

Trouble is, when it is not on sale it is pretty expensive. But it goes on sale regularly. I've been abroad for a couple of weeks so am not sure if it is on sale right now.

Emily
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 06:35
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi, I don't know how the prices are in the UK for these items but is canned fish inexpensive, tuna, salmon, sardines if you can eat them. Eggs, cottage cheese??? Now that the winter is over veggies should be coming down in price here I hope it works that way over there too. If you have a freezer it really helps to buy things when they are on sale and freeze them. Hope you find a way to work this out.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 08:56

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Do you have farmer's markets where you can buy fish, meat, organ meats, eggs, cottage cheese, greens? They are usually cheaper and probably much fresher.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 09:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have a look at this link. It's full of great ideas.

CHEAP - Low Carb Recipe Ideas

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 09:53
Krazy Karb Kel

Plan: south beach/atkins
Stats: 174/154/135 ? Female 5 feet or so
BF:not sure....
Progress: 20%

I agree.. Eggs are cheap and SO versatile, ROund steak or any meat on sale.,

tuna and tofu are also.

Good luck
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:45

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I am also a UK Costco member and frankly I don't think they're that cheap!.

Here are a few tips (I also try to eat cheaply).

Turkey drumsticks. About 99p each for a huge one. Nuke it for 15 mins and separate the meat from the bone. Eat as it is or use in a stir fry.

Chicken. My local butcher does 2 for 5 pounds. I cook them both and have a Sunday roast as well as cold meat and meat for stir fries asnd other dishes.

Minced beef. About a pound a pound. Buy the cheapest, mix with an oxo cube (2g) and an egg and make your own beef bugers. I make a big batch and them eat some cold or reheat them.

Liver. Lambs liver is less than a pound a pound and is delicious.

Buy your veggies and salad from a market or a green grocers. Both are much cheaper than supermarkets.

Visit Lidl! They do really cheap cheese and salami. Also their frozen bradwurst is as near to a British low carb sausage as you can get! They often do half price veg offers too.

Have you got a local CO-OP? Mine has a shelf in the cooler section where they put short dated stuff. I often pick up half price cream and other goodies.

Good luck. Atkins can be done on the cheap in the UK. You just ahave to shop around.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 22:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
I am also a UK Costco member and frankly I don't think they're that cheap!.

I've thought the same thing about Costco here. I think you can buy some things for really great buys, but a person has to know prices. One will open shortly close to me, so I'll probably get a membership, but they're going to have to save me some money to keep it.