Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 11:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I use to love doughnuts. I am afraid if they can truly produce a lc doughnut, I would be in trouble. Secretly I am hoping they taste awful.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 12:29
Registered Member

Stats: 206/193.2/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

That was definately a good read. I have a friend that is a sales rep. for Frito-Lay, he told me about the new line of LC Chips coming out in May. Sounds Interesting, I dont know if i dare try them

Krispy Kreme Donuts ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 13:10

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Thanks for posting that

Just what the world needs a low carb donut!! ;>(

Quote:
does not equal low-carb. I imagine they'll still be made with white flour.

Exactly!!

Not for all but for some it would just be going back to what made then overweight in the first place!!

Companies are just srambling for the $$$$ I don't trust 99 % of them!!

I can't beleive the people that fall for all that crap!!
EAt real food, read labels save $$$$

Cheers Kathy
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 14:46
Registered Member

Stats: 302/260/220 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 51%

I guess the same can be said for a low carb bagel? My local Noah's has them, though the fine print says "lower carb (it's 18G)

The issue is for us that maintain a LC lifestyle, these food mfgr's are laying these little landmines all over the place. I'm staying old school with the exception of the Atkins Breakfast bars
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 15:41

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

That article was a good read...thanks for posting!
I'm betting the "low carb" doughnuts will not be low carb. What else goes into making a doughnut than sugar and white flour?? Unless it's some kind of whole grain thing which would be kinda gross for a doughnut.
I think the author was on point when he/she wrote that the biggest threat to the low carb lifestyle is the influx of supposedly lower carb foods, and the false and misleading claims by the makers of them.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 15:55

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

[I think the author was on point when he/she wrote that the biggest threat to the low carb lifestyle is the influx of supposedly lower carb foods, and the false and misleading claims by the makers of them.[/I]

Yes, can we say "fat free cookies?" I see huge abuses of the low carb diet in the future....just like the monster that the low fat fad created....
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 17:02

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Don't forget they are calling it "Low-Sugar" - "lower-Carb". Both of which may be true. Low sugar implies to me that it will still contain sugar, just a lower amount! And even if the new donut only has 10 less carbs than the original, it would still be "lower-carb". That won't make it low enough in carbs for me to view it as an option. They are really desperate to get on the lc wagon! How the heck can KK ever be low carb and taste like the original??? Don't think it will ever happen!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 17:03

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

what got me was when they were quoting a nutritionist and she said something like she was worried that when people went back to eating like they did before they would gain it right back, well duh! Just about everyone will. This is a way of life not a quick fix, and they need to see it that way.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 18:04
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

All of this concerns me. I see more and more products, and all they offer is an alternative way to be unhealthy. Junk food is junk food, whether it has carbs or not. Those who actually bother READING Atkins (which I doubt most of these companies did) would realize that the cornerstone of it is learning to eat a healthy balanced diet.

I'm tired of companies hoping to capitalize on my addiction. They can't have my money. Grr to them!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 18:50

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
I'm tired of companies hoping to capitalize on my addiction. They can't have my money. Grr to them!

Right On !!!!
Kathy
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 18:50

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbergrl
[I think the author was on point when he/she wrote that the biggest threat to the low carb lifestyle is the influx of supposedly lower carb foods, and the false and misleading claims by the makers of them.[/I]

Yes, can we say "fat free cookies?" I see huge abuses of the low carb diet in the future....just like the monster that the low fat fad created....

I think people who read the book will be less likely to fall victim to the LC junk food. I think the problem is going to be people who haven't read the book that try to keep their regular diet and try to use the LC snacks as a healthier alternative to what they were eating. They are typically higher fat/ higher calories and people that try to add that to a high carb diet are gonna find themselves piling on the pounds!